Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss

Blue Belle (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Andrew Vachss

Series: Burke (3)

Member:spereira82
Title:Blue Belle
Authors:Andrew Vachss
Info:Vintage (1995), Paperback, 352 pages

Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (1988)

If you like the earlier Burke books you'll probably like this one. Vachss pulls back the curtain slightly more on Burke's psychology. I enjoy how he explains some odd behaviors and why they make sense to a, um, non-citizen.

I enjoy Vachss' dialog but he goes just a little too far in stripping it down, to the point where you wonder if anyone actually talks that way.

Maybe I'm just cynical but Vachss did not sell me well enough on why Burke would fall so hard for Belle when he's still thinking of Flood.

Belle was an odd mix of competent (such a pro getaway driver) and ignorant (the "rules"). Also her physical description had me confused and made her seem less human.

The whole deal about keeping Max away from Mortay was contrived. He was worried that even if Max won he would be "known" for dropping Mortay? Couple of issues with that. Lots of people wanted to drop Mortay so it wouldn't be obvious who managed it (as we find in the next book, Hard Candy!) and Burke himself gets that rep he didn't want Max to have, even though it really was Max's fight. Oh, and put me down for a C-note on Max to win, lol!

Okay, so I sound like I'm griping too much here. I don't come to Vachss with high expectations, as I might with Charlie Huston. I come to be swept away with a gritty tale of urban underbelly fantasy. He did that here and did it with style. ( )
  Penforhire | Feb 18, 2011 |
Finally the last book in the series that I had yet to read. One of the better ones as it is an early one and the story w/ Burke and co. gets filled in more. Another fast and loose read w/ energy and literally explosive endings. ( )
  kanata | Apr 11, 2010 |

Burke is one of the most cold-blooded yet strangely honorable heroes in the history of crime fiction, an outlaw who makes his living by preying on the most vicious of New York City’s bottom-feeders, those who thrive on the suffering of children.
            In Andrew Vachss’s tautly engrossing novel Burke is given a purse full of dirty money to find the infamous Ghost Van that is cutting a lethal swath among the teenage prostitutes in the ‘hood.  He also gets help in the form of a stripper named Belle, whose moves on the runway are outclassed only by what she can do in a getaway car.  But not even Burke is prepared for the evil that is behind the Ghost Van or for the sheer menace of its guardian, a cadaverous karate expert who enjoys killing so much that he has named himself after death.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:27 -0400)

Love story and a harrowing odyssey through New York's under worlds.

Andrew Vachss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible