The Seventh Witch by Shirley Damsgaard

Why weren't the previous books this fun? This series has always been somewhere between 'it was an ok read' and 'I liked this'. I am not tempted to go and rate the previous six books higher because some of them were just ok and some I liked. This one is the best of all. It is the last book in the series and I am kind of sorry it ends. It just became interesting.
Now when I think about it, this was Ophelia's journey to accept her gifts and to make peace with some of the people in her life.

So, what is so different here? The story completely takes place in the mountains. Abby, Ophelia, Tink and Ophelia's parents came to North Carolina for Great-Aunt Mary's 100th birthday. They didn't expect to be confronted by an evil woman bent on hurting them.

The Seventh Witch is about the past catching up to the present and revenge. Ophelia shines in this one. She isn't silly or stupid. oh, she is still as impulsive as before, only not stupid. The only thing that annoyed me was that her aunts and Abby didn't want to tell Ophelia everything she was supposed to know about their family.
Oh, and Ethan is there. That has to be worth at least half a star. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |

Here it is, the seventh and the last. I have been semi-hooked on the series from book one, delighted to indulge in another paranormal mystery.

Ophelia has come a long way since book one. She's come to embrace who she is, accept her powers, learn how to use them more, dug into her heritage, embraced her family, found a new daughter and romantic interest, and feels more at peace in her life.

In this book, the author brings the main characters out of the small, familiar town into the mountains to reunite in a large family reunion. While there Ophelia goes up against the local vicious witch who wants to destroy her family. The decades old rivalry comes to a head as Ophelia this time has to solve a whole new mystery - what really happened in the past and how to fix it in the present.

I like that Ophelia is braver now and confident in her abilities. I liked the realistic vulnerability that is finally exposed in her grandmother Abby, who was a little cartoonish before with her mannerisms and thought processes. It was interesting to see the tension in the family with the different witches and their different hang-ups. The family drama made this one work well as a series ender.

Finally, after so many books and men, Ophelia finds one that will hang around. I won't ruin it with a spoiler, so I'll just say the decision is a good one and I'm happy with her choice.

While Ophelia digs into her bag of magic tricks, the magic is still rather subdued compared to some glimpses in the first book. This must be a personal preference of the author to make it more realistic and her type of witch. Personally I would have liked to see more of the powers be supernatural over nature driven.

Overall this was a fun, quirky series that ended on a high note, wrapping things up well without dangling threads, giving peace to the man characters and making it seem like they have full lives ahead of them.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
For my review of The Seventh Witch: An Ophelia and Abby Mystery # 7 by Shirley Damsgaard please go to:
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Abbey & Ophelia go back home for Great Aunt Mary's 100th birthday celebration where they have to reckon with the family's past and a curse that should have been laid to rest a generation before.

Abbey begins to succumb to bad magic as well power of mind...Ophelia has to fight Abbey's will to lay down & die, Great Aunt Mary's jealousy. and the local "bad" witch who thrives on bad magic & threats.

Add to this Ophelia's mother & father are present as is Tinks (Ophelia's adopted daughter), who with Ophelia's father is messing with the "Ley Lines" and burial mounds.....

FINALLY, Ophelia gets out of her "This isn't real" rut and faces the truth of her roots, folk magic, inner strength & power.

For me, this was the best of the series...... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I want more! I don't want the stories to stop, I've loved reading about Ophelia and her strong willed grandmother and extended family. ( )
  Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |
In memory of Rosey Harrison Damsgaard and William C. Damsgaard, from your grateful daughter.
The clock on top pf the rough hewn dresser ticked away the final moments of the old woman's life.

"Small-town librarian and psychic Ophelia Jensen hails from a long line of wise and wonderfully gifted women. There's her grandmother, Abby, a talented witch, and her great-aunt Mary, who's about to celebrate her 100th birthday. But as Ophelia learns, when she and Abby travel to North Carolina for the centennial celebration, their family secrets aren't just magickal--they're murderous. Someone in the sweet Southern town wants Abby dead. Could it be a rogue witch in Ophelia's own family? A vengeful local witch desperate to settle a bitter feud decades in the making? Ophelia must use all her talents to save her loved ones--before the witching hour comes upon them, and bad blood turns deadly."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,807,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible