Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams

Tales from Watership Down (original 1996; edition 1998)

by Richard Adams

Member:Kegan
Title:Tales from Watership Down
Authors:Richard Adams
Info:Avon (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, 1980-1989
Rating:*****
Tags:Read

Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams (1996)

English (26)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (28)
This collection of stories takes up where Watership Down left off. Fiver, Hazel, Bigwig, and the rest have established a new warren on the Down and spend their time hanging out with their neighbours in Efrafa and telling legendary tales of El-ahrairah. We are also treated to their further adventures as other rabbits come to stay with them and share their own experiences.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection, with its mix of legends and “present-day” stories. And despite the several years it’s been since I last read Watership Down, the Lapine language came right back to me (to the point that I may start referring to cars as hrududil). You’ll definitely get more benefit out of this collection if you’ve read the previous book, but there’s nothing stopping you from reading it out of order if that’s your jam. There’s enough context here to get you up to speed, and a glossary at the back of the book to help you learn Lapine. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 2, 2018 |
I found the first section, apparently common rabbit folk tales, unimpressive. It was like reading clumsy fan fiction. The second section, a longer story about the adventures of El-ahrairah, was better, but it wasn’t until we returned to the rabbits of Watership Down in the third section that I really enjoyed it. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 17, 2018 |
3.5 stars. I love Watership Down, it's one of my favorite books, so I was excited to read this. Most of the stories were pretty good, a few were really good, and a few were...a bit mediocre.

All in all, I did enjoy it though. ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
This book was a major disappointment. It is no where near as good as 'Watership Down', and appears to be a rip-off and a crass way to make more money off the original. ( )
  ramon4 | Oct 31, 2016 |
I am a massive fan of Watership Down, which I’ve read countless times both as a child and an adult, so when I discovered only recently that this book existed I had to read it and I wasn’t disappointed.

The first half is made up of new El-ahrairah stories, which although perhaps lose a certain something when not told in the context of a larger story, I still found compelling, mysterious and poignant. The second half is about what happened to the rabbits in the time after moving to Watership Down, and how they deal with new situations and problems. Many of these stories are to do with leadership and how to cope with splits and divisions of opinion; so once again you get to see Hazel’s fair and level-headed approach to conflicts and decision-making.

I found it really enjoyable to catch up with the rabbits I remembered from the original book, and to see them forging new relationships with other rabbits who have their own interesting story to tell. I’m not completely sure how interesting this book would be to somebody who is not such a big fan of Watership Down, although the stories are entertaining in their own right and don’t rely too heavily on you remembering what happens in the original book. In any case, I loved it, and if you feel like I do about the original Watership Down then it’s well worth a read.
  LKChapman | Jul 16, 2016 |

Richard Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stetzko, AntonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Elizabeth, with love and gratitude
"Tell us a story, Dandelion!"

This collection contains a mixture of stories of El-ahrairah, the great rabbit hero, and stories of the lives of the rabbits of Watership Down. Several of the El-ahrairah stories mentioned but not related in WATERSHIP DOWN are told here, including four that took place on his return from the warren of the Black Rabbit. The El-ahrairah stories are: "The Sense of Smell"; "The Story of the Three Cows"; "The Story of King Fur-Rocious"; "The Fox in the Water"; "The Hole in the Sky"; "The Story of the Comical Field"; "The Story of the Great Marsh"; "The Story of the Terrible Hay-Making"; "El-ahrairah and the Lendri".

AR 6.0, Pts 10.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380729342, Mass Market Paperback)

The original Watership Down is one of those wonderful works that appeals to readers both young and old. The story of a group of rabbits on an adventure into unfamiliar yards, farms, and fields made for an imaginative, captivating journey. This latest work follows the aftermath of the original's climactic ending and includes the rabbits' retelling of various myths associated with their rabbit-hood, plus some new twists and developments. This is a captivating introduction to Adams's warren for first-time visitors, and those who loved the original Watership Down won't be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:29 -0400)

Tells stories of what occurred in the lives of the rabbits after they defeated General Woundwort in the classic "Watership Down."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible