When Autumn Leaves by Amy S. Foster

When Autumn Leaves (2009)

by Amy S. Foster

I really wanted to love this story. The first 50 pages made me think about a wonderful affinity to the enchanting stories one of my favorite comfort read authors, [[Sarah Addison Allen]] writes. There is just the right amount of magical realism to make this a fantasy escapism read but with a quaint small town quality to it. For a debut novel, it is not bad and yes, I am a sucker for a book set in the Pacific Northwest. So, why no great love for this one? Well, for one, the story's focus tends to ramble and jump around from character to character without any clear explanation of the 'whys' and 'hows'. Sadly, the book doesn't come with a crystal ball to shine insight on the 'bits' left out from the story that would have been helpful. Also, it only took me 6 days to read the story from start to finish and even in that short time span, I had managed to completely forget a couple of the characters, so not exactly a memorable read for me. The story is quaint, charming and infuses little things that we take for granted in everyday life with a slight magical touch but overall it was just an average read for me. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Jun 27, 2014 |
Characters and plot were too underdeveloped. For such a short book, the bulk of it was spent haphazardly introducing characters. You end up quite near the end wondering how she could possibly weave everything together in fewer than 40 pages (hint: she can't). For all that she spent so much time introducing and examining one character after another, it still wasn't enough to make you care a fig about most of them, and many of them you spent so much time meeting never really appeared again. There was no sense of authority, and the writing was weak. I actually wondered if I'd accidentally gotten a hold of a literary selfie. Needed more work. Should've known from the title, but I'd heard the quirky town would reel you in. Not so for me. ( )
  eslee | Mar 3, 2014 |
It wasn't the way this book was written that made me drop this book. I felt it was written well and I was expecting a little movie like Practical Magic charm. What made me drop this was the affairs that were in it. Normally this probably wouldn't bother me. But, I'm sure you've guessed it. But I recently found out that my husband has been having an affair. I was disgusted by the way the author appraoched this topic. I don't see myself picking it up in the future.
  butterflybaby | Nov 22, 2010 |
'When Autumn leaves' is a sweet little fantasy, set in a small magical town called Avening in British Columbia. The mysterious and beautiful local sorceress Autumn Avening is trying to find her replacement. Each chapter reads like a short story - each focusing on a different woman living in Avening, each with a magical gift, and each a possible candidate to take over as Autumn's successor.

This is a lovely little novel, well written and charming. The characters Foster chose to focus on came alive as real, fragile but beautiful and resilient women. I could identify with Ellie's feelings of invisibility and social awkwardness, and Stella's disconnect and restlessness. However, there were several characters revealed to be important at the end who received no insight, background or development, which was disappointing.

I felt the novel could have been fleshed out more, there were plenty of hints that never went anywhere, and characters who were sadly ignored and underdeveloped. A few extra chapters could have really gone a long way. I still thought this was a lovely little jewel of a book, and one I very much enjoyed reading. I will be interested in reading whatever Foster comes out with next.

Highly recommended to fans of Charles de Lint - the theme and setting greatly reminded me of his 'Newford' books. ( )
  catfantastic | Apr 21, 2010 |
I liked this, but... Amy Foster is a song writer and maybe that predisposed me to this thought, but I felt like I was in some ways reading a song. To me it seemed as though she left a lot unsaid or not really completed but other things she wrapped a little too neatly. It also had a stonger fantasy aspect than I expected. I don't mind fantasy but the type that showed up in the story was, for me, reaching. It wasn't a bad story, but l didn't feel it was as fleshed out as it could have been and should have had a better indication in the synopsis of the fantasy aspect of the story,. ( )
1 vote Readermom68 | Apr 15, 2010 |
For the first Ellie, my grandmother.
There is a small bronze plaque in Avening Heath among the brush and the wildflowers, shining like new even though it's been there for a century and a half.

In the picturesque Pacific coast town of Avening, it's hard not to believe in magic. This is a town where the shoes in the window always fit, where you can buy a love potion at the corner shop, and where local lore seamlessly mixes with the supernatural. And then there's Autumn, Avening's most beloved resident, shopkeeper, and guardian of the Jaen sisterhood. When she receives word she's been promoted within the order, Autumn must undertake the task of selecting her own replacement. But who in Avening is magical enough to take Autumn's place?-- Publisher's description.Autumn, Avening's beloved resident witch, has been promoted to a higher coven and has to replace herself. But who in Avening is in tune enough with her own personal magic to take over the huge responsibility of town witch? Autumn has a list of thirteen women and men who just might have what it takes--but how can she get them to open their eyes to the magic in their lives?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,158,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible