Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and…

Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation (2009)

by Elizabeth Beckwith

Comedienne Elizabeth Beckwith espouses sure methods to raise your child to be better than any other. It all comes down to simple principles of guilt and manipulation to keep your children in line by ingraining deep feelings of shame so they continue to behave when you're not around.

Examples of some chapters:
Creating a Team of Us vs. Them
How to Scare the Crap Out of Your Child (in a Positive Way)
Don't be Afraid to Raise a Nerd
Mind Control: Why It's a Good Thing

I really wanted to like this book. The concept is fantastic, and there's some genuine wisdom mixed in along with Beckwith's family stories. The humor did get a bit too crude at times for me, and it makes me reluctant to recommend this to others folks... like my mom, who would chastise me for reading a book with "that language." (See, Beckwith? Your own book has backfired! Sorry!) It is laugh-out-loud funny at a few points, but I won't be keeping it. ( )
1 vote ladycato | Nov 8, 2010 |
To my parents, Liz and Pat Beckwith, the best (and funniest) mother and father any kid could ever wish for.

Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation is not one of those traditional, all-too-earnest parenting guides that, for generations, have sucked all the fun out of child rearing. The foundation of Elizabeth Beckwith's Guilt and Manipulation family philosophy is simple: We do things a certain way, and everyone else is an a**hole.

Is that something you should put on a bumper sticker and slap on your minivan? Of course not—that would be trashy. But in the privacy of your own home, you can employ these essential components of Guilt and Manipulation to mold the little runts ruthlessly yet effectively into children you won't be embarrassed to admit are yours:

Creating a Team: "Us" vs. "Them" How to Scare the Crap Out of Your Child (in a Positive Way) Don't Be Afraid to Raise a Nerd Mind Control: Why It's a Good Thing

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:57 -0400)

"Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation" is a wickedly funny spoof on a parenting guide that bridges the gap between funny childhood essays and edgy self-help manual.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,512,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible