Living Well With Chronic Pain: Twelve…

Living Well With Chronic Pain: Twelve spiritual steps to manage chronic…

by Ted Witham

213,683,174 (4.5)None
Member:TedWitham
Title:Living Well With Chronic Pain: Twelve spiritual steps to manage chronic pain
Authors:Ted Witham
Info:Busselton: Spirit-Ed
Tags:spirituality, chronic pain, spiritual resources, depression, exercise, meditation,

Living Well With Chronic Pain: Twelve spiritual steps to manage chronic pain by Ted Witham

Recently added byWillowOne, TedWitham

I was chosen through Member Giveaway to receive and review this book. I decided to ask for the book because I am a chronic pain sufferer. As such, I am always looking for new and possibly better treatments of ideas to help deal with my constant, sometimes debilitating pain. This book is a companion book, it will not take the place of what I am already doing to cope, but it will be used in conjunction. I had several realizations while reading this book and know that every time I do an exercise I will have more. Ted Witham, the author and fellow chronic pain sufferer also made this journey and this is how the book was born.
Mr. Witham came up with 12 Steps to living spiritually with chronic pain based loosely on AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) 12 steps to sobriety program. These two programs are different, yet related by the ability of a person to realize, accept, understand, work through, decide and live with whatever their ailment or condition may be. Not the ability to destroy or overpower, but to overcome through understanding your inner self and how it relates to what you feel.
Through this book I was able to realize my unconscious choice to let my pain rule my everyday life. I am learning that I need to accept my pain on a daily basis and then look at managing that pain. It is a learning process that will take time.
I have always been a proponent for being in charge of your health. Know what your body is doing, become educated and make informed decisions with your doctor. You should never just take your doctor's word for it, they have the education of healing, but they are not all knowing. Become 100% involved in you, you know your body and in order to make a good decision your doctor needs to have that partnership with you. I have had several doctors tell me I am intimidating, but it doesn't stop me because I realize I know ME, they don't. They may know the "medical me" or the "test me", but they can't feel what I feel or explain that pain. This book talks about becoming a partner in your own health, take stock in yourself. This was one area I had luckily figured out early on and continue to practice.
Mr. Witham also talks about the need to compare the bad with the good. Look at your many blessings in life and do not allow your pain to fog yur lenses. Admit failure when you must, but know that you will feel good again. Let go of your past wrongs so that they do not continue to burden your heart, mind and soul making your pain load greater. Pray for help in dealing with your pain, not for it to be just swept away.
Mr. Witham has written a very informative book that is short, to the point and easy to read. Each of the 12 steps are described for better understanding and each step has an exercise to incorporate that step into your life.
I have started 12 new steps in my journey. Thanks for the extra help Mr. Witham. ( )
  WillowOne | Jun 15, 2009 |

Ted Witham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,737,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible