Embrace the Night Eternal by Joss Ware

Embrace the Night Eternal

by Joss Ware

Simon Japp, awake after a 50-year sleep, has discovered he has an unusual new power and that the world he knew has been destroyed by the Strangers, immortals who have taken over the earth. Now he wants to help the resistance and teams up with beautiful Sage Corrigan, who seems to have her own special power over him.… (more)

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
Embrace the Night Eternal
3.5 Stars

A man with a dark and murky past, Simon Japp is one of the men who survived the apocalyptic Change in stasis. Endowed with the ability to cloak himself in invisibility, Simon swears to assist the citizens of Envy in their struggle against the Strangers. Together with Sage Corrigan, the resistance’s resident computer geek, Simon travels to the polygamist settlement of Falling Creek to search for the man who may hold the key to saving humanity from the Strangers, and along the way discovers that there is more to life than simply existing…

The mythology of Ware’s post-apocalyptic world is fascinating and the on-going storyline involving the Remmington Truth, the Strangers and the Cult of Atlantis is captivating.

The dark, brooding and enigmatic Simon is my favorite type of tortured hero and the slow revelation of his personal story is intriguing. Sage is a sweet heroine with a troubling past of her own and her romance with Simon is intense and satisfying.

Two problematic issues arise, however, including the annoying love triangle, which is completely out of place in a paranormal romance, and Sage’s irritating tendency to allow Theo’s patronizing and condescending attitude toward her - she needed to grow a back-bone much sooner.

There are also tantalizing glimpses into Quentin and Zoe’s ongoing relationship, which has only whet my appetite for the next book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
its a paranormal romance I can't get into it ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
its a paranormal romance I can't get into it ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
The world-building of this dystopian future was solid and the primary characters were sympathetic and believable.

The incredibly beautiful, brainy and kind virgin heroine was a little more Mary Sue-like than I generally prefer, but her back-story made all of that make sense and she was overall quite likable. I liked the hero quite a lot--he was on a quest for redemption before he met the heroine and their relationship development included a nice mixture of angst, trust, respect and sensuality. One of the villains indulged in some scenery chewing, but given the way that character was developed as a whole it made sense.

Some of the plotting for the overall series story arc was a little confusing, but that's probably because I didn't realize it was the second book in the series when I started.

I could see this appealing to fans of Ava Gray (and vice versa). ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Apr 10, 2011 |
Well!! I surely am glad I kept reading this series because this one really hit the spot for me. Simon Japp is the hero of this one and if Elliot wore the white hat in his previous life, Simon wore the black hat. And I do so love black-hatted heroes. Before the world was destroyed, Simon was the bodyguard of a drug lord and had done and seen some nasty stuff. But now he has a chance to live a different life, a life of building instead of a life of destroying. He is horrified at the way he led his life in the past, but was unable to escape it. But now he has, along with a strange new talent and he's determined to turn his life around and not be the person he was.

And although Sage Corrigan, the heroine, is quite different than Jade, the heroine of Beyond the Night, I loved her also. She's lived a somewhat sheltered life, as we learn as we read along, she was born and raised in a cult like community and escaped a kind of life she had no desire to live. She is a computer guru who is working hard on the inside to establish a network with other communities. But when it's found that something or someone is going on in Falling Creek, the place she grew up in, she heads there along with Simon to find out what they can.

Sage is an innocent although very attracted to Simon. He is also attracted to her, to her innocence; she's lived the opposite kind of life he's led, but he doesn't think he's good enough for her, if she knew what he used to be, she would turn from him in disgust. On top of that, one of the two leaders of the resistance also has feelings for Sage and Simon doesn't want to come between them, thinking that Theo is the much better man.

Simon is much more my kind of hero; one of those 'tortured' heroes I love so much. And even though the setting is very dark, there are still moments in this one where I chuckled. I am flat out loving this series ( )
  dkthain | Mar 15, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,585,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible