Oath of Fealty by Elizabeth Moon

Oath of Fealty (edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Moon

381None28,212 (4.04)43
Member:eviltammy
Title:Oath of Fealty
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, Paksennarion, military

Oath of Fealty by Elizabeth Moon (Author)

2010 (7) 2011 (4) book (3) ebook (9) Elizabeth Moon (4) epic fantasy (6) fantasy (104) fantasy fiction (3) fiction (32) hardcover (6) hb (4) high fantasy (4) Kindle (3) magic (6) mercenaries (3) military (7) novel (2) own (3) Paks (4) Paksenarrion (18) Paladin's Legacy (11) politics (2) read (4) read in 2010 (4) science fiction (10) series (11) sf (4) sff (9) to-read (11) unread (2)

Well written tale, but as often is the case with magic, the system seems too simple and everything is determined by the "strongest" magician which is always a problem for the story. ( )
  Guide2 | Feb 3, 2014 |
I just remembered how much I liked the Paksenarrion series! This should be just as good. Well-written, nicely paced, likeable characters. I especially like how the storylines are kept clear and parallel so that you can actually follow them without getting confused. Paks is just a side note in this series. ( )
  bgknighton | Aug 5, 2013 |
Kieri Phelan, the former Duke and soon to be crowned King of Lyonya, has a new challenge in ruling a human and elven kingdom and convincing his Council that they need to have a protective army for defense. His former captains, Arcolin and Dorrin Verrakai, have challenges of their own as Arcolin takes over the Duke's mercenary company and Dorrin returns to her estranged family's holding as the new Duke Verrakai.

Though Oath of Fealty begins with events soon after the end of Oath of Gold in Paksennarion's trilogy, this book could also be read as a standalone and the beginning of the new series less focused on Paks (though she's still a character) than on Phelan, Arcolin, and Dorrin as well as political events between Tsaia, Lyonya, and Pargun. The seemingly unconnected events involving the Verrakai betrayal and companies of bandits clearly have an underlying link that apparently have some connection to the former pirate, Alured, a much bigger conspiracy than anyone first guessed. I really enjoyed returning to Paks' world, and enjoyed getting to know some of the characters better who had been more minor, especially Dorrin. She's the one good out of a pretty rotten family, and often questions herself and her motives while she tries her best, very believably a mix of doubt and action. I won't wait so long before reading the next book in the series. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 24, 2013 |
A good start to a series. In every viewpoint someone is stepping into a leadership role they hadn't dreamed of [ironic, I was taking a break from leadership-type books.]

postscript from future self: I should reread it and see if there is any evolution in action [because every time I look at the title in my book list I think Niven/Pournelle.] ( )
  sprite | May 3, 2013 |
Amazon preorder

Wish there was more of this and more of each story - but I'm absolutely confident that Moon will bring all of these stories along in further books.

We mostly see three characters from the Deed of Paksenarrion:

Dorrin has become a Duke because her entire family has turned out to be both traitors and corruptly evil in one country and she is attempting to clean up the evil and mess left behind by the family that disowned her and that she fled.

Arcolin has ended up with the company of mercenaries and is growing into his new responsibilities.

And Kieri, of course who had become a king after growing into his fifties knowing nothing of his heritage.

We some of Paks, but not from her viewpoint, and what we see is an engaging view of the hero from the outside, but who is very practical.

Off before too long to reread the Deed.

romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Moon, ElizabethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aidlin, RebeccaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those there from the start and still here for the new beginning: Ellen and John McLean and Richard Moon, for encouraging me to finish the first Paks book, Joshua Bilmes for accepting me as a Client, the late Jim Baen for publishing The Deed of Paksenarrion, and Betsy Mitchell for editing it.

A death has made Kieri Phelan king of Lyonya. Here humans and elves live in uneasy peace, united only by their failure to see the dangers at their borders. Harmony has never been more important - or elusive. But will Kieri's soldier background allow him to navigate these difficult politics? And can he awaken the powers his mixed blood confers? An older evil also threatens, affecting not just Lyonya but all surrounding kingships. The Verrakai family has been practicing forbidden blood magic for generations, and its scions are becoming bold. When they infiltrate a foreign court and assassinate key nobles, it's clear they must be controlled or eradicated. Phelan will send Dorrin, the only Verrakai he can truly trust, on this mission. She must overcome her abhorrence of the power that is her birthright and awaken her own hidden magic. This will lead to secrets and a mystery that neither Phelan nor Dorrin could have anticipated.

As Kieri Phelan ascends a throne he never sought, he must come to terms with his own half-elven heritage while protecting his new kingdom from his old enemies. Meanwhile, in Tsaia, Prince Mikeli escapes an assassination attempt made by the Verrakaien magelords. As dark forces gather against the two kings and their worlds, even Paks may find her gods-given magic and peerless fighting skills stretched to the limit--and beyond.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible