Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

English (82)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (85)
3.5 stars. Good story, good writing, but I didn't fall in love with the characters. So, a good read but not an emotional one, for me. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Interesting, but not for me. ( )
  zyphax | Dec 27, 2016 |
Spider's Bite
4 Stars

The world building based on the concept of people with extrasensory abilities based on the four elements and their derivatives is original and intriguing. Estep gives just enough information at the appropriate times without dumping excessive information on the reader.

The plot is your typical, run-of-the-mill mystery focusing on Gin's attempts to discover the identity of a double-crossing client. The actions scenes are well-written and exciting but the investigation tends to drag in places and the writing is on the repetitive side, especially Gin's internal dialogue and musings. Moreover, the villain's identity is painfully obvious and the resolution predictable.

The main character and her sidekicks are the highlight of the book. Gin is a formidable heroine - flawed and complex but vulnerable and endearing at the same time. Despite her profession as an assassin and her overt attempts at presenting herself as cold and calculating, Gin has her own moral code that guides her actions and makes her that much easier to identify with. She is not nearly as cold as she likes to believe.

Gin's friends (more like family) add a touch of color and humor to a world that would otherwise be exceptionally dark and troubling. They include Fletcher, Gin's gruff handler who rescued her from the streets; his son, Finn with whom Gin shares an affectionate brother/sister relationship, and the dwarf sisters - Jo-Jo the socialite who likes to mother everyone and Sophia the Goth who has a penchant for cleaning up dead bodies.

The only supporting character to dim my enthusiasm is Gin's love interest, Detective Donovan Caine. Although their chemistry is tangible, the detective is a pompous, judgmental, self-righteous prick who really needs to get over himself. He makes my palms itch to smack him.

While the main plot threads in this installment are tied up neatly, the book ends with some interesting revelations and unanswered questions that make me eager to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
5 "Tough as Stone Assassin" Stars for the story and narration!

I'm in trouble. As predicted the Elemental Assassins Series is sure to drag me down another rabbit hole of unquenchable desire to listen to a series from beginning to end. Given there are 15 books in this series (not counting a score of novellas) that is one big UF hole I'm about to fall into!

Still I'm up for the challenge to get to know Gin Blanco. I love strong heroines and the assassin that goes by the moniker, the "Spider," and controls the elements of stone and ice, appears to be one of the strongest I've ever encountered. I love her tough as nails, call it like it is, approach. She doesn't suffer any fools and feels no trepidation to take what she wants. Moreover, Ms. Estep is weaving together one intricate cast of secondary characters that are sure to lead to loads of entertainment and suspense to come.

As if the story is not enough, the narration by Lauren Fortgang is also top-notch making this a no brainer series to enjoy in audiobook format. Ms. Fortgang has a real authentic Southern sound which is perfect for this Ashland, Tennessee based UF series. I also love how she is able to infuse Gin's character with an extra brand of spunk that makes her one of kind, top notch assassin career credible. Moreover, she manages to create authentic sounding male character voices too allowing the listener to sit back and enjoy this magical, fast-paced, urban fantasy series.

The one area I'm not sure where it's going is the love angle. The good versus evil theme has been done before, but the good detective seems to have one big hang-up on accepting Gin's "evil" ways. Perhaps Gin's love match will end up being someone else? I can't wait to find out!

Source: Audible purchased copy. ( )
  B.J.O. | Oct 29, 2016 |
Adventurous, daring, murderous, risky, and entertaining! Enjoyed the story. Good character development, storyline, and plot. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |

Estep, JenniferAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“My name is Gin, and I kill people.”

"My name is Gin, and I kill people. They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South--when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible