Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against…

Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government,… (2009)

by Glenn Beck

I'm a little late at getting to this book. Most of what I read I've heard on Beck's TV show. He does make some good points to ponder. The strongest chapter was the one on Progressivism. On the down side I wish he would be a little more civil in some of his discourse. ( )
  landlocked54 | Nov 26, 2012 |
Beck is right in premise and principle but makes numerous factual errors (especially but not only when presenting historical data) which destroy his point and fails to qualify assertions which need them. When writing about politics this is a big deal, not a small one. ( )
  jrgoetziii | Jul 9, 2011 |
Glenn Beck reminds us to vote for the people who will serve our country best, not for political parties. Both parties have harmed our nation by their self-centered, greedy actions, which is exacerbated by politics becoming a career. Our founding fathers planned for a citizen government, where ordinary people would serve in Congress for a few years, then return to private life. We need that again. Politicians become entrenched, corrupted by power, and detached from the real world. ( )
1 vote lillieammann | Sep 23, 2010 |
Glenn Beck is an intelligent human being. He has the knowledge, I understand that, but he shares it in such a preachy way that I didn't feel like I was learning anything. Telling me that you can't fixing a debt problem by spending is not groundbreaking information. I do believe that the title was well chosen, because most of what Beck says is common sense.

Maybe it would have helped if I had read a hard copy of this as opposed to listening to the audio. I don't like to be yelled at and repeatedly told to "wake up" because I've been "lied to." I understand that no matter what party is in office they will make bad decisions. They are human, this will happen. I also agree that you should pay attention to what is happening in your government, because if you don't stand up for your rights, you can't complain when they disappear. I just don't think that beating people over the head by telling them they are clueless sheep is the way to encourage people to pay attention. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 12, 2010 |
Beck is not a politician. He's an entertainer, in this case a writer indulging in a mischievous satire narrated by his energetic counterpart "Glenn Beck."
added by Shortride | editSalon, Steve Almond (Sep 12, 2009)

Was inspired by

Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria
A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR-
Two hundred and thirty-five years ago, a British citizen with only a basic education set off to make a new life for himself in the British colonies. For two years he worked hard and watched as his fellow colonists grew tired of British oppression. Then he decided to act. Using his contacts in the publishing industry, Thomas Paine anonymously released a pamphlet that made the case for revolution using extraordinarily logical, straightforward, indisputable arguments. (pg. vii)

Revisits Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" in light of contemporary American issues, and suggests that some of the very freedoms given as reasons that independence was first necessary are again in jeopardy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,085,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible