When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey…

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960…

by Gail Collins

Tells how American women got from there to here, in politics, fashion, economics, sex, families and work in the past five decades.

A fascinating book, and a good reminder of how far we've come - and how quickly - for whenever the distance we have yet to go starts to feel overwhelming. Oddly, I feel as though I came away from this book with a better understanding of my mom's (somewhat fraught) relationship with her mother. Highly recommended, easy to read in fits and starts due to the episodic and anecdotal arrangement of the chapters. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Amazing, AMAZING book. This should be required reading for women of every age. It's an easy read full of anecdotes, but thoughtful and intelligent as well.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Consists mostly of anecdotal stories that reminds us that women have come a long way since the fight for equality (this book focuses on the 1950s to the present day), but that we still have a lot left to do, especially in work-family balance issues. I found this fascinating, and at times, infuriating. Not a book to read if you are searching for solutions, and there are better books out there, but it's an important read for providing some background in feminist history. I had this in my TBR for a long time, but was compelled to pick it up the week of the 2016 Presidential Election results. I'm glad I did. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Nov 29, 2016 |
I admit, it took me awhile to read, but not because it wasn't well done. I'm just not that good at nonfiction anymore, plus it's been a busy time. But it is exactly what the title says. Not only do we read about the people we all "know" like Rosa Parks and Gloria Steinem, but there are the stories of, and interviews with "everyday" people. From politics to education, to voting, to Civil Rights and race relations, to marriage and gender roles within relationships. . . she covers them all. As we see women's reproductive rights challenged again in 2014, it is an educational look back to the battles fought and won, and even those we have yet to win. ( )
  cherybear | Apr 25, 2014 |
This book was just one dumbed-down anecdote after another, provided without context or organization. The subject deserves so much more. ( )
  read.to.live | Mar 26, 2014 |
Among the impressive features of Ms. Collins’s book is her genial, fair-minded sympathy, her refusal to smirk at the excesses of the most radical ’70s feminists or at the stances of women, among them Phyllis Schlafly, who counseled their sisters to stay home where they belonged. This evenhandedness seems all the more admirable later in the book, when she considers the significance of Hillary Rodham Clinton’s and Sarah Palin’s roles in the 2008 presidential election.

Did feminism fail?

Gail Collins’s smart, thorough, often droll and extremely readable account of women’s recent history in America not only answers this question brilliantly, but also poses new ones about the past and the present, as she explicates moments that were widely recorded and illuminates scenes that were barely remarked upon at the time.

Although women have come a long way, baby, Collins acknowledges that — in 21st century America — they haven't figured out how to raise children and hold down a job at the same time, or to keep marriages from cascading into divorce. Nonetheless, her splendid book reminds us that their moms created a world their grandmas "did not even have the opportunity to imagine."

On a steamy morning in the summer of 1960, Lois Rabinowitz, a 28-year-old secretary for an oil-company executive, unwittingly became the feature story of the day in New York City when she went down to traffic court to pay her boss's speeding ticket.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,866,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible