Daredevil ; Born again by Frank Miller
Member:andersoncrook
Title:Daredevil ; Born again
Authors:Frank Miller
Info:New York, N.Y. : Marvel Comics, c1987.
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:daredevil, marvel, david mazzuchelli, frank miller, kingpin, karen page, nuke, foggy nelson

Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller (Writer)

This book was originally recommended to me by a friend after the first season of Netflix's Daredevil came out. While the show did draw heavily from the comic, the comic is very much its own entity and in some ways becomes even darker than the show manages to be. The character of Karen is notably different in the comic as well, and while she suffers from some of the typical [author: Frank Miller] writing stereotypes, she in no way is as caricatured as, say, Catwoman in [book: Batman Year One] or the girls of [book: Sin City]. This is long before [author: Frank Miller] became pretty much a stereotype of himself.

The comic is the story of Kingpin's destruction of everything Matt Murdock holds dear. Matt is beaten, his ex having sold his identity for a hit of heroin, and one by one everything that made Matt Matt is taken from him. His job, his money, his house, his friends. Matthew becomes a pariah, all that is left to him his senses and Daredevil... until even the identity of Daredevil is no longer his own. How does one become born again when they are beaten so low?

This book is a character study as much as it is a story. We see Matt at his worst, and in many ways how his worst is what makes him the stalwart fighter that he is. Matt needs people to save, he needs the costume, he needs the identity of Daredevil to function - but how can that be gotten again when no one will stand up to the Kingpin? Men like Ben are needed, too. Like Foggy says in the extra comic, added for completions sake at the end of Born Again, we've got to keep believing in the good in other people. Otherwise, what are we doing? We all could use a little grace. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
A bit repetitive with the back-story but still entertaining. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
An excellent piece of writing from Frank Miller again. With the deconstruction & reconstruction of Daredevil taking centre stage. Gripping, gritty, and involving, this is great Marvel Comics with a great character as well. ( )
  aadyer | Feb 18, 2016 |
One the best Daredevil stories ever, written by the best Daredevil writer, Frank Miller. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
This is probably the only bookshelf comic I have left with Miller's name on it, and I nearly got rid of it too. But I started flicking through it, and it is actually really pretty good. Written by Miller and drawn by Mazzucchelli in 1987, it has all the energy and power that made people think how good Miller was, while showing little of the tics and distasteful attitudes that have put me off his work from Sin City onwards.

Mazzucchelli's art is great - solid in the interiors, beautiful on the cover. I wondered slightly if in some places Miller might have inked bits as there is some similarity between their art styles, but frankly give me Mazzucchelli's style over Miller's empty stylishness any day. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |

Miller, FrankWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazzucchelli, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"And I -- I have shown him... that a man without hope is a man without fear." The definitive Daredevil tale! Karen Page, Matt Murdock's former lover, has traded away the Man Without Fear's secret identity for a drug fix. Now, Daredevil must find strength as the Kingpin of Crime wastes no time taking him down as low as a human can get. Collects Daredevil #226-233.

And I -- I have shown him... that a man without hope is a man without fear." The definitive Daredevil tale! Karen Page, Matt Murdock's former lover, has traded away the Man Without Fear's secret identity for a drug fix. Now, Daredevil must find strength as the Kingpin of Crime wastes no time taking him down as low as a human can get.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible