Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Backlash by…

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Backlash (edition 2011)

by Aaron Allston

Tags:Star Wars, Fate of the Jedi, Action, Sci-Fi

Backlash by Aaron Allston

fun. ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a short adventure,
with everyone going to Dathomir, and a confrontation with the Dark Sisters,
but it was light and humorous. Several one liners just caused me to burst out laughing.

Allston can write good Star Wars stuff. Hoping the next book advances the plot a little more though. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
This book takes place many years after the Yuzhann Vong War, not to mention the Second Galactic Civil War. It is the 4th book in the Fate of the Jedi series, written by three diferrent authors. It begins with Vestara Khai, a Sith apprentice who's master was recently killed by Grand Master Luke Skywalker in the Maw. The Maw is a cluster of stars holding a secret ancient Sith base. Vestara hides on Dathomir, where she tries to get a message to her masters. Luke and his son, Ben come after her and are caught in a war between the Nightsisters and another clan. At the same time on Curuscant, Chief of State Daala starts a political intrigue.
This book was very fun to read. It dealt with my favorite sci-fi universe, Star Wars. It occurs way after the movies, but you still have the familiar feeling of Han, Leia(even though they are grandparents now), Luke, and the Empire. The book was slightly confusing for me at first, because it's the 4th book and I haven't read the other ones, but I got used to it as I have read a lot about the Star Wars universe. I liked the way the author describes the scenes. The Jedi of the New Republic have a different feeling to them, more relaxed than the ones of the Old. Those are my reasons for 5 stars. It's not a very common book, but I hope more people read it, because I liked this book a lot! ( )
  JanW.B1 | Sep 17, 2013 |
I can't really think of much to say about this one. It's a Star Wars book, certainly not the best I've ever read but nor is it anywhere near the worst. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, it was just so very conventional and uninspired. Mediocre.

I think one of the problems with this series is that while I'm sure there's an elaborate overarching plot line all planned out, the need to drag it out over a certain number of books ends up wreaking havoc with the characters and the pacing of these novels.

What's worse, when you have big Star Wars names and heavy hitters like Han, Leia, Luke, Ben, Jaina, etc. all doing their own thing in different parts of the galaxy, you need to find something -- anything! -- interesting for them to do while the plot moves forward elsewhere. This leads to much retreading of old ground, such as the return to familiar planets or tired and done-to-death SW plot elements involving a mysterious Sith or conspiring politicians.

You also get ridiculous things happening, like Han and Leia suddenly having a brain fart and leaving an 8-year-old unsupervised by herself on the Millennium Falcon on a dangerous planet. Hmm, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?! The whole situation was set up for Allana's own little adventure in this book, but geez, do you have to make it so obvious?

I also liked it better when Luke and Ben were still focused on uncovering the secrets of Jacen Solo's fall to the Dark Side. The Lost Tribe and Vestara side plot could lead to interesting things, but right now it just feels like a cheap distraction.

Looking forward to the next book to see if things will pick up once more, and I'm excited to read something by Christie Golden again. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |
Aaron Allston, author of the first Fate of the Jedi book Outcast, has provided this fourth installment in the Fate of the Jedi series, Backlash. Allston has once again crafted an engaging story, however it doesn’t advance the core story of this series. In each of the previous books, we follow Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker and his son in their exile, gathering the same bits of force knowledge that Jacen Solo picked up on his spiral to the dark side. In Backlash, Luke and Ben follow a Sith apprentice to a jungle planet and help the indigenous, force-sensitive people fend off some nasty dark side local witches. While Luke and Ben have been busy, Vestara Khai sent her location back to her Sith home-world.

One of the reasons I invest my time in a series is for what each book add to the overall big picture. I love the story line that the first three books have created; why are seemingly random Jedi knight going crazy and exhibiting force traits that Jacen demonstrated on his path to becoming Darth Caedus? And what is politically exiled Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker doing about it?

As I stated, I did enjoy this story very much. It was entertaining, introduced us to some interesting characters, and brought the new Sith population from the planet Kesh where the “Lost Tribe of Sith” had been stranded in 5,000 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin). ( )
  storeyonastory | Jul 5, 2012 |

Aaron Allstonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone in 2009 who helped me get through a very hard time
It was darkness surrounded by stars—one of them, the unlovely sun of Kessel, closer than the rest, but barely close enough to be a ball of illumination rather than a dot—and then it was occupied, suddenly inhabited by a space yacht of flowing, graceful lines and peeling paint.

Countering growing mistrust in the wake of increasing cases of insanity among the Jedi, Han and Leia flee with three afflicted Jedi, while Luke travels to the homeworld of the Night Sister to learn why Jacen Solo turned to the dark side.

106 wanted4 pay5 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible