The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte

The Club Dumas (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte, Sonia Soto (Translator)

Member:twinkley
Title:The Club Dumas
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Other authors:Sonia Soto (Translator)
Info:Harvest Books (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery

The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (1993)

Recently added byanaquelabierto, private library, jackplum, elvisettey, ShyPageSniffer, LitClique, gordogan, mmoj
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

English (92)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (112)
In ‘The Club Dumas’, Lucas Corso, a sort of mercenary book finder, is hired to authenticate a part of Dumas’s ‘The Three Musketeers” when the owner of it is found dead, presumably by his own hand. The search is not straight forward; it proves to have Byzantine twists and turns. Corso also finds himself in a search for a book that summons the devil; multiple versions exists and he needs to know which is the authentic one- especially since there was only one surviving copy when the author was put to death during the Inquisition. People keep dying, Corso is being followed by someone who likes to beat him up, and a young woman who calls herself Irene Adler keeps showing up.

This is a book for bibliophiles; there are numerous references to real books and many books invented just for this story. I think the story would have seemed richer to me had I a knowledge of ‘The Three Musketeers’ and other Dumas works.

The plot has so many twists and turns that I had a hard time keeping it all straight in my head. I had a big problem with the book in that I found Corso to be completely unlikable. He’s so completely self-serving that I just could not find him sympathetic. Irene Adler is a cipher; to the end we never find out who she really is. I found the endings to both plot threads rather unsatisfying. I admit that the book held my interest right up until the end; the book references, talk about how literary forgeries are done, and the history used in the story were fascinating. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | Aug 13, 2015 |
I wanted to rate this 2 1/2 but couldn't. The review I read before reading this book offered great expections but the story failed to deliver - or rather the telling of the story failed. Overall, it was OK but I was disappointed. ( )
  montyfus | Jul 26, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the film so snapped this up when I saw it 2nd hand. I then realised that the book has a connection to The Three Musketeers that The Ninth Gate lacked. So I read that first and then this. It should be said that this book not only gives away crucial plot points from The Musketeers (excellent by the way, and highly recommended), but also from the sequels right up to the end of The Man in the Iron Mask.

Anyway, what we have here is excellent. A real book for book lovers, with ancient books, autograph manuscripts and instructions on how to forge them; an interesting mystery with surprises and a shed load of very clever and at times very funny post-modernist jokes, all handled as apparently they can be only by continental Europeans. ( )
1 vote Lukerik | May 14, 2015 |
Listened to the abridged audiobook. Excellent ( )
  eppish | Oct 28, 2014 |
Subterranean Press 187/500 ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Un roman délectable qui se situe entre Le Nom de la Rose, les jeux de rôles et Agatha Christie.
added by Ariane65 | editL'Express

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
El club Dumas is by Perez-Reverte, not Vargas Llosa.

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,083,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible