The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte

The Club Dumas (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte, Sonia Soto (Translator)

Member:twinkley
Title:The Club Dumas
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Other authors:Sonia Soto (Translator)
Info:Harvest Books (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery

The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (1993)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

English (101)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (121)
Lucas Corso is a book mercenary. When he is tasked with authenticating a manuscript purporting to be an original chapter from Alexandre Dumas’s The Three Musketeers he winds up in the midst of a highly intricate game that may cost him his life, or even his soul. The quest takes him from Madrid to France and Portugal, and involves a cast of characters that I sometimes found confusing.

There is a second plot line that is part of the reason for the confusion. In his attempt to authenticate the Dumas manuscript, he comes across another work – The Nine Doors. This red herring … or is it? … centers on satanic rites and devil worship. The twists and turns, intersecting vs parallel paths, insights and missteps all help to confound the reader’s attempts to solve the puzzle before Corso does.

It’s an adventure tale, a murder mystery and a morality play all at once.

The book abounds with literary references, mostly to the work of Dumas, but also to other works. I was reminded of The Shadow of the Wind, although THIS book preceded Zafon’s novel by nearly a decade.

Life interfered with my ability to read this work continuously, so I was forced to stop and then pick it up a few weeks later. I’m sure than affected my rating. I enjoyed it, but didn’t love it. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Feb 4, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It is very well written and the English translation is very good. It was a perfect book for me as I am a huge book collector and love the mystery/thriller genre. It also made me want to add The Three Musketeers to my to-be-read soon list. I highly recommend this book to Dumas lovers and I look forward to reading another book by this author soon. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Quite an intricately entwined story-line. However, I sure am glad that I didn't see the movie 'The Ninth Gate' until after I read the book, as that would have thoroughly confused the book. Although Johnny Depp nailed perfectly the portrayal of Corso, the movie rates only a '2' in my opinion. They have cut the theme to shreds, leaving out anything to do with Alexandre Dumas or the many character likenesses to 'The Three Musketeers'. But, then again, the movie was titled 'The Ninth Gate' & didn't pretend to do the book Club Dumas. The credits only say that it was "based on the novel".
The book came out THE winner . ( )
  DVDWalsh | Jan 18, 2016 |
I love this genre: a book prompts a mystery, the unraveling of which requires accumulating much book lore. Much of this novel is excellent for this reason, but I must say I was not fully convinced by all the characters' motivations. Two strands are involved, one centering on Alexander Dumas and the Three Musketeers, and another focusing on a fictional Nine Gates, a book to summon the devil (which apparently is available for purchase on Amazon. Go figure.). The lead character meets up with a girl much his junior (whom he sleeps with, of course, as in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), although I did find his impotence at the big moment to be a touch of believable realism. We are led to believe that she is actually the devil. It was never clear to me, though, why one needs an arcane coded book to summon the devil when s/he's walking around doing whatever s/he does. Still, her demonic credentials may be as misleading as the entire Dumas subplot, which, interesting as it was, is no more than an accidental distraction. I may be tempted to view the film adaptation again, but I recall being similarly confused by the ending there as well. For example, as I think about it, it didn't seem that distinguishing true from fake engravings made a difference in the ritualistic interpretation. The signs and symbols on which the analysis was based were not the elements that varied, as far as I could tell. Yet somehow depending on the forged ninth image made all the difference. As I said, very confusing, and not sure it makes much sense. ( )
  dono421846 | Jan 18, 2016 |
A mystery story with a difference, based around 2 books The Three Musketeers and The 9th Gate our hero is lead on a quest to find the truth.

This reminded me of The Name of the Rose.

A well written intelligent mystery with plenty of red herrings and false alleyways a complex plot and characters. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Un roman délectable qui se situe entre Le Nom de la Rose, les jeux de rôles et Agatha Christie.
added by Ariane65 | editL'Express

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
"Like any intelligent being, the devil likes games, riddles. Obstacle courses where the weak and incapable fall by the wayside and only superior spirits -- the initiates -- win." [Baroness Frieda Ungern, 231]
El club Dumas is by Perez-Reverte, not Vargas Llosa.

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible