The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte

The Club Dumas (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte, Sonia Soto (Translator)

Member:twinkley
Title:The Club Dumas
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Other authors:Sonia Soto (Translator)
Info:Harvest Books (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery

The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (1993)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g, TAir)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.

English (87)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (106)
The Da Vinci Dumas Code Club. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
This book is an excellent piece of post-modern writing. While on the surface it is about a chase to rescue one manuscript and verify the authenticity of another, at its heart the book is about how readers become entangled in their own expectations of fiction. During my reading I found myself thinking about the narrative devices being used by the author when, just about that time, one of the characters would seem to break the fourth wall, while staying within the confines of the plot, and describe the use and mis-use of exactly the device that I had just noticed. Towards the end of the book I found myself caught up in the same narrative entanglements as the main character, and feeling the very same anger and betrayal, which says mountains about how a reader's interpretations and expectations can alter the experience of the story. Even though the surface story relies on cliched scenes and characters, this book is much more than it appears to be. ( )
2 vote sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
A good summer read.

Although you'd never know it from the title, The Club Dumas was the basis of the movie The Ninth Gate, directed by Roman Polanski and staring Johnny Depp. Although the movie removed an entire plot line from the book, it was well done (except for the last 5 minutes) and is one of those few cases where the movie is almost as good as the book.

I recommend it for what it is: well researched and imagined, light, summer fare. ( )
1 vote IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
I get the feeling this book was meant to be tongue in cheek, but that, during translation, tongue and cheek became separated. As it stands, the writing here is overwrought, purple, inflated, and boring. There are two separate mysteries here, which never come together, which left me (and the protagonist) disappointed. This is a book I just *barely* got through. I kept going, and eventually, about halfway through, a mystery or two did rear their heads. Prior to that, I was just watching a schlemiel stumble around, drink gin, and smoke unfiltered cigarettes. The antique book trade info was all that kept me going, and even that was pretty dull. Calling this a suspense thriller for intellectuals is good marketing, but far from the truth. It's all atmosphere and no guts, no meat and potatoes. I can't imagine any veteran mystery or thriller fan putting up with this book. How it became such a huge success is one of those mysteries up there with Brittany Spears and Harry Potter. Oops. Shouldn't have said that. There are three blondes in the book with big boobs, no other women. The final one calls herself Irene Adler, and we never do find out her real name, where she came from, or what she's doing in the story. This, perhaps, is the most egregious of the book's many sins. But then, I suppose a book about summoning the devil should be sinful. Too bad there's so little pleasure to go along with it. ( )
1 vote BobNolin | Oct 10, 2013 |
I was really hoping to like this book but the writing was terrible. I don't know if its a bad translater or what but I found this book really confusing. I only made it about 15% in before giving up. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
El club Dumas is by Perez-Reverte, not Vargas Llosa.

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,617,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible