Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins) by Allison…

Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins)

by Allison Brennan

Series: The Seven Deadly Sins (1)

If you watched Supernatural, you wouldn't find anything new in this book. The main idea is no matter the intentions, practising magic is evil. So we have witches, demons and such on one side, the cliché of Roman-Catholic hunters/warriors on the other and our main character, a former witch, somewhere in the middle.
The story is good though. Maybe because I love Supernatural.
Moira was supposed to be sacrificed by Fiona, her mother and a very powerful witch, when she was 21. She prepared her to become a Mediator, a link between the underworld and this world. Moira obviously didn't like the idea that much and she ran. A few years later, Fiona found a demonic book and learned how to summon the seven deadly sins. The summoning was interrupted and all seven escaped. I suppose each book will have one sin to capture.

3.5 ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I'm not sure where I stand on this book. I didn't particularly like it; but I didn't dislike it either. Brennan is a good author. She has a strong writing style and good world building. However, there was something about this book that set my teeth on edge and I struggled to not skim it or give up entirely. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I was disappointed with this book. I LOVE Allison Brennan books, but this is a new writing style she is toying with. I did not get past page 50... It may be a good book (if you like this type of storyline), but it is not the typical serial killer/thriller that she is best known for... ( )
  dananmissy | Apr 30, 2011 |
This was a recommendation from a co-worker. While the story was, in some aspects, romance-novel predictable, I was still drawn in and unable to put it down. The main character is powerful, yet weakened by her fear of her mother and her devotion to her estranged sister. The power of the rivalry between daughter and mother is compelling. This book is the first of a series and though I tried to read the second, it wasn't working for me and I have yet to finish it. Original Sin may be the only book of the series that i will read, but it's good enough to stand alone. ( )
  M0vingon | Dec 8, 2010 |
Moira is a strong witch but she can not use her magic because in this world all magic results in evil. She has joined forces with a secret order of the Catholic Church to battle the most powerful witch in the world, her mother.

This was a very good book. The lines between good and evil are clearly drawn. The characters both good and evil are so well drawn. The concept of the series is very interesting. I am interested to see where this is going. There is a bit of romance and a bit of sex. I really enjoyed Brennan's writing style. She keeps the action going while taking time to let you get to know the characters. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Nov 12, 2010 |

Brennan, Allisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisenhut, IreneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ann MarieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We always long for the forbidden things, and desire what is denied us. Francois Rabelais (1494-1553)

"Haunted by chilling memories of demonic possession and murder, Moira O'Donnell has spent seven years hunting down her mother, Fiona, whose command of black magic has granted her unprecedented control of the underworld. Now Moira's global search has led her to a small California town that's about to become hell on earth. Tormented by his own terrifying past and driven by powers he can't explain, ex-seminarian Rafe Cooper joins Moira's dangerous quest. But Fiona is one devilish step ahead. Hungry for greater power, eternal youth, and stunning beauty, the sorceress is unleashing upon the mortal world the living incarnations of the Seven Deadly Sins. Together with a demonologist, a tough female sheriff, and a true-crime writer chasing the ultimate story, Moira and Rafe are humanity's last best chance to snatch salvation from the howling jaws of damnation."-p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,368,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible