Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins) by Allison…

Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins)

by Allison Brennan

Series: The Seven Deadly Sins (1)

I'm not sure where I stand on this book. I didn't particularly like it; but I didn't dislike it either. Brennan is a good author. She has a strong writing style and good world building. However, there was something about this book that set my teeth on edge and I struggled to not skim it or give up entirely. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I was disappointed with this book. I LOVE Allison Brennan books, but this is a new writing style she is toying with. I did not get past page 50... It may be a good book (if you like this type of storyline), but it is not the typical serial killer/thriller that she is best known for... ( )
  dananmissy | Apr 30, 2011 |
This was a recommendation from a co-worker. While the story was, in some aspects, romance-novel predictable, I was still drawn in and unable to put it down. The main character is powerful, yet weakened by her fear of her mother and her devotion to her estranged sister. The power of the rivalry between daughter and mother is compelling. This book is the first of a series and though I tried to read the second, it wasn't working for me and I have yet to finish it. Original Sin may be the only book of the series that i will read, but it's good enough to stand alone. ( )
  M0vingon | Dec 8, 2010 |
Moira is a strong witch but she can not use her magic because in this world all magic results in evil. She has joined forces with a secret order of the Catholic Church to battle the most powerful witch in the world, her mother.

This was a very good book. The lines between good and evil are clearly drawn. The characters both good and evil are so well drawn. The concept of the series is very interesting. I am interested to see where this is going. There is a bit of romance and a bit of sex. I really enjoyed Brennan's writing style. She keeps the action going while taking time to let you get to know the characters. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Nov 12, 2010 |
When I first heard about Original Sin by Allison Brennan I was intrigued by it but I wasn't prepared to be blown away. There are two primary things that can keep me glued to a book, one the story revolves around the paranormal and two there is enough mystery to keep me to locked in suspense. Original Sin by Allison Brennan did both. If I could have read this book in one sitting, I would have.

This book had a very different view on witches then what you ordinarily see in Urban Fantasy. There are no good witches. The premise here is that any magic is bad and there is no such thing as good magic. And so the suspense starts to build from the very beginning because how is an ex-witch suppose to battle her super powerful, wicked witch of a mom without magic? What can Moira use to stop her mother Fiona from opening the gates of Hell and save the world from the Seven Deadly Sins?

What made this story click for me was the building suspense as I read, the realistic characters and the men of St. Michael's Monastery. Moira seems liked damaged goods with need to atone for the past but she is resilient and strong. Rafe has an air of strength and mystery about him while at the same time he seems vulnerable. Anthony comes across as a hard-case, not willing to give Moira the benefit of the doubt because as far as he's concerned once a witch always a witch. Skye is tough and dogs the witches' evil plans right along with Moira, Rafe and Anthony. Then there's Fiona and the minions of her coven. I found Fiona to be a treacherously, evil character and her diabolical plans had me gripping the book tight as I read.

I mentioned the men of St. Michael's Monastery as being one of the high point for me, the reason being it's been awhile since I've read a story where supposedly ordinary men, who were not a super-being such as a vamp or a shapeshifter, has captured my attention. Both Rafe and Anthony are men of St. Michael's Monastery. Ms. Brennan has weaved such a strong air of mystery around these men that I'm dying to know more about them. They each seem to possess qualities of being more than just ordinary but it's just not blatantly obvious what it is.

Original Sin by Allison Brennan was a terrific mixture of suspense, mystery and a lot of action with a hint of romance told from the different characters' perspectives. I found myself repeatedly surprised by the turns in the plot. I have definitely been pulled into the world of the Seven Deadly Sins and I cannot wait until Cardinal Sin releases later this year. ( )
  FantasyDreamer | Jul 6, 2010 |

Brennan, Allisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisenhut, IreneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ann MarieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We always long for the forbidden things, and desire what is denied us. Francois Rabelais (1494-1553)

"Haunted by chilling memories of demonic possession and murder, Moira O'Donnell has spent seven years hunting down her mother, Fiona, whose command of black magic has granted her unprecedented control of the underworld. Now Moira's global search has led her to a small California town that's about to become hell on earth. Tormented by his own terrifying past and driven by powers he can't explain, ex-seminarian Rafe Cooper joins Moira's dangerous quest. But Fiona is one devilish step ahead. Hungry for greater power, eternal youth, and stunning beauty, the sorceress is unleashing upon the mortal world the living incarnations of the Seven Deadly Sins. Together with a demonologist, a tough female sheriff, and a true-crime writer chasing the ultimate story, Moira and Rafe are humanity's last best chance to snatch salvation from the howling jaws of damnation."-p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible