A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

A Matter of Class (edition 2009)

by Mary Balogh

Info:Vanguard Press (2009), Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2012

A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

Quick read, cute twist ending. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
What a clever story! I loved the originality of the plot and the cleverness of the main characters. I love how this story jumps between the present time and the past. I can't say too much without giving something away, but this book was an absolute delight and one that as soon as I finished it, I wanted to jump back to the beginning and begin again! This is a shorter book, but has excellently developed characters and a story line that will leave the reader reflecting back on it for a long time. This was an absolutely delightful read and I highly highly recommend this book! ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
This is an enchanting little novella about a young couple forced into marriage by their parents. Or are they? It rather reminds me of an O. Henry story. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Description from dust flap
From New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh comes a classical historical tale that sizzles with romance and unforgettable drama. Reginald Mason is wealthy, reined, and by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by birth, a factor that pains him and his father, Bernard Mason, within the Regency society that upholds station over all else. That is, until an opportunity for social advancement arises, namely, Lady Annabelle Ashton. Daughter of the Earl of Havercroft, a neighbor and enemy of the Mason family. Annabelle finds herself disgraced by a scandal, one that has left her branded as damaged goods. Besmirched by shame, the earl is only too happy to marry Annabelle off to anyone willing to have her.

Though Bernard wishes to use Annabell to propel his family up the social ladder, his son does not wish to marry her, preferring instead to live the wild, single life he is accustomed to. With this, Bernard serves his son an ultimatum: marry Annabelle, or make do without family funds. Having no choice, Reginald consents, and enters into a hostile engagement in which the prospective bride and groom are openly antagonistic, each one resenting the other for their current state of affairs while their respective fathers revel in their suffering.

So begins an intoxicating tale rife with dark secrets, deception, and the trials of love - a story in which very little is as it seems.

My Comments
This book was really cute! It was very short, so we didn't get the character development we usually do in Mary Balogh's books, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed it - especially the twist we discover at the end. I'm not sure I've ever read a romance novel with a twist at the end before. Very fun read. ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |
Nice sweet story but the narrator spoiled it for me. She sounded constipated. I don't think I will listen to other books she narrates, I found it too painful. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |

Mary Baloghprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Maria Carvainis, my agent and to June Reschler, Jerome Murphy, and Alex Slater, her assistants who are all and always in my corner
Reginald Mason crossed one elegantly clad leg over the other and contemplated the gold tassel swinging from one of his white-topped Hessian boots.

Reginald Mason is wealthy, refined, well-educated, and, by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by birth. His father and mother come from humble roots and made a fortune in coal. His father, Bernard Mason, wants to advance socially, but Regency society upholds station over all else. However, an opportunity for social advancement comes when Lady Annabelle Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Havercroft, disgraces herself in a scandal by eloping with the coachman. The Earl is very aware of his breeding and shamed by her behavior. She is ruined. Reginald Mason has been overspending and losing at the gaming tables. His father tells him he must marry Lady Annabelle or he won't pay his son's debts. Both fathers agree to this marriage and insist their children comply. The story has twists and turns, humor and secrets.

In this Regency romance, wealthy, untitled Reginald Mason consents, and enters into a hostile engagement in which he and his prospective bride--Lady Annabelle Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Havercroft--are openly antagonistic, each one resenting the other for their current state of affairs while their respective fathers revel in their suffering.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible