A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

A Matter of Class (edition 2009)

by Mary Balogh

Title:A Matter of Class
Authors:Mary Balogh
Info:Vanguard Press (2009), Hardcover, 208 pages

A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

Mostly I liked it. It was sort of too fast of a read not to. Literally, I spent 2 hours and 10 minutes from start to finish on this puppy last night. And it kept me wanting to turn the pages. It’s not complex or sophisticated, but it was charming. Although I’m a little surprised to discover that Mary Balogh is a historical romance writer–I’m uncertain if she’s in the bodice ripper category–although there were a few things just in this book that made me think her other books might not be so tame. ;)

Set in regency England, A Matter of Class follows a gentleman’s daughter with a failed elopment, and resulting in scandal upon her already cash-stretched daddy, the Earl. So it’s no surprise the balding rich marquess with halitosis spurns the beauty as damaged goods. The neighboring estate has a layabout son who is trying mightily to spend the family fortune on gambling and other vices. What are two sets of disappointed parents to do? Why get them married off to each other, of course.

The story has some lovely flashbacks, and actually has enough oomph to it to give you a decent picture of the characters themselves. Generally, you like everyone you are supposed to like, sympathize with everyone whose gone and done silly things, and dislike the few you are supposed to dislike. I can’t tell you more, or I’d ruin a couple of the delightful twists.

This would be great plane-ride reading or beachfront fare for the summer. Enjoy. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
My first Balogh, and it won't be my last. A sweet story with a twist, and good character development for a novella. ( )
  carlyrose | Mar 18, 2015 |
This was an easy and fast-paced reading. The story is set in the wonderful world of Regency England. It's a love story which explains that there are no barrier when true love has to succeed. What I liked most was the fact that the woman was so inventive. ( )
  Ameise1 | Dec 27, 2014 |
Description from dust flap
From New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh comes a classical historical tale that sizzles with romance and unforgettable drama. Reginald Mason is wealthy, reined, and by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by birth, a factor that pains him and his father, Bernard Mason, within the Regency society that upholds station over all else. That is, until an opportunity for social advancement arises, namely, Lady Annabelle Ashton. Daughter of the Earl of Havercroft, a neighbor and enemy of the Mason family. Annabelle finds herself disgraced by a scandal, one that has left her branded as damaged goods. Besmirched by shame, the earl is only too happy to marry Annabelle off to anyone willing to have her.

Though Bernard wishes to use Annabell to propel his family up the social ladder, his son does not wish to marry her, preferring instead to live the wild, single life he is accustomed to. With this, Bernard serves his son an ultimatum: marry Annabelle, or make do without family funds. Having no choice, Reginald consents, and enters into a hostile engagement in which the prospective bride and groom are openly antagonistic, each one resenting the other for their current state of affairs while their respective fathers revel in their suffering.

So begins an intoxicating tale rife with dark secrets, deception, and the trials of love - a story in which very little is as it seems.

My Comments
This book was really cute! It was very short, so we didn't get the character development we usually do in Mary Balogh's books, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed it - especially the twist we discover at the end. I'm not sure I've ever read a romance novel with a twist at the end before. Very fun read. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Quick read, cute twist ending. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |

Mary Baloghprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Maria Carvainis, my agent and to June Reschler, Jerome Murphy, and Alex Slater, her assistants who are all and always in my corner
Reginald Mason crossed one elegantly clad leg over the other and contemplated the gold tassel swinging from one of his white-topped Hessian boots.

Reginald Mason is wealthy, refined, well-educated, and, by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by birth. His father and mother come from humble roots and made a fortune in coal. His father, Bernard Mason, wants to advance socially, but Regency society upholds station over all else. However, an opportunity for social advancement comes when Lady Annabelle Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Havercroft, disgraces herself in a scandal by eloping with the coachman. The Earl is very aware of his breeding and shamed by her behavior. She is ruined. Reginald Mason has been overspending and losing at the gaming tables. His father tells him he must marry Lady Annabelle or he won't pay his son's debts. Both fathers agree to this marriage and insist their children comply. The story has twists and turns, humor and secrets.

In this Regency romance, wealthy, untitled Reginald Mason consents, and enters into a hostile engagement in which he and his prospective bride--Lady Annabelle Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Havercroft--are openly antagonistic, each one resenting the other for their current state of affairs while their respective fathers revel in their suffering.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible