Apocalypse Happens by Lori Handeland

Apocalypse Happens

by Lori Handeland

Liz and Jimmy go to Cairo because Liz has seen her mother reborn. Turns out that Sawyer also used to know her mother and its not going to be pretty what happens. I could give away what happens, but you really should read it. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
You think you have inner demons? Liz Phoenix has the real thing, in spades. When her inner vamp is contained, she's the leader of the light - when it's loose? She's as bloodthirsty an evil as ever walked, and with the clock ticking ever closer to Doomsday, keeping the cork in the bottle is getting harder all the time. With ex-lover, fellow vampire Jimmy Sanducci and skinwalker Sawyer as back-up, Liz has a finite amount of time to get the Grigori bottled back up and the Nephilim contained. If she succeeds, the cost may be a high one.

Three books in, and this series still feels a lot like a Laurell Hamilton knock-off. Not a cheap one, but still... ( )
  SunnySD | May 20, 2011 |
Liz Phoenix is a fantastically cool and strong female character. This series is sexy--and makes no apologies about it. I fully enjoy how Handeland has created a female lead that is not meek, weak or timid in any regard. This series is a delight to read and I am eager for the next book! ( )
  irreverent_reader | Jun 18, 2010 |
I read this book a few days ago and have been trying to figure out how to but it all into words. I can start by saying that this is actually book 3 of the Phoenix Chronicles. It has that same basic cast of characters as the others (Liz, Jimmy, Sawyer and Summer). There is still the continuing concept of Liz as the seer, Jimmy a DK (demon killer) and Sawyer and Summers interesting input in the mix. They are all still fighting the demons, vampires and all evil from starting Doomsday / Apocalypse / Armageddon. I can't even say what this book is about (without series spoilers).

I did have such a difficult time with this one partially because of how it ended. My biggest problem was with Liz - the main characters. I think the author is trying to make her come across as a strong determined leader of the federation, but for me she came across as naive, arrogant and stupid (and I am not the type to use that word lightly) which makes for a deadly combination. I am not yet sure if I am even willing to read the next one (Chaos Bites), I have been frustrated so much by this one. But .... I will consider it if only to see how the Sawyer story rolls out (he has become my favorite character - believe it or not.)

I say that I would recommend this book, only because it is such a different type of story, but it is an acquired taste, even for a prolific paranormal romance reader. ( )
  onyx95 | May 3, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312366027, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Phoenix is one of a select few with the power to battle those who have escaped from the darkest level of hell—demons bent on destroying humanity and reclaiming earth once and for all.  Liz is determined to stop yet another Doomsday. But this time, it’s going to be more difficult than ever because someone she thought was dead isn’t dead anymore…and is bound and determined to destroy Liz and everyone she loves in the upcoming Apocalypse.

Liz has arrived in Los Angeles to ferret out a nest of varcolacs: half human, half dragon creatures who crave the destruction of the sun and moon. But before she can prevent the kind of eclipse that would bring the world to an end, Liz must mine the depths of her own heart. She and her former lover Jimmy Sanducci have some personal demons to battle—and there’s always her mentor, the Navajo shaman Sawyer. Is he on their side or isn’t he? In the end, the three of them must find a way to fight together…or perish alone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

Liz Phoenix arrives in Los Angeles to find a nest of varcolacs--half-human, half-dragon creatures who want to destroy the sun and moon--and works to stop yet another Doomsday with the help of her former lover and her mentor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible