The Heart of Christmas: A Handful of GoldThe…

The Heart of Christmas: A Handful of GoldThe Season for SuitorsThis Wicked… (edition 2009)

by Mary Balogh

Member:RobynBachar
Title:The Heart of Christmas: A Handful of GoldThe Season for SuitorsThis Wicked Gift
Authors:Mary Balogh
Info:HQN Books (2009), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical-romance

The Heart of Christmas (A Handful of Gold/ Season for Suitors/ This Wicked Gift) by Mary Balogh

A Handful of Gold by Mary Balogh
Can't say I am a fan of a pious heroine. I like the idea of the self-sacrificing character, but she was too goody-goody for me to believe that she would actually have agreed to be a mistress. And as the story progressed, I couldn't help but feel preached at. I am not a fan of religious romance. Too sugary for me in the end. (2 stars)

The Season for Suitors by Nicola Cornick
Sweet, and had some touches of angst, but a little too forced/hurried to quite capture me. (2.5 stars)

This Wicked Gift by Courtney Milan
I love everything she ever writes, and this is interesting and unique, but not my favorite (3 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
A HANDFUL OF GOLD by Mary Balogh

Julian Dare wants one last fling before he settles down and marries (to please his father). He meets stunning and sexy opera dancer Blanche Heyward (whose real name is Verity Ewing). Julian is attracted to her, and he makes her an offer (thinking since she's on the stage she's promiscuous)---he'll give her a large sum of money if she will spend Christmas week with him (as his lover) at his friend Bertie's place in Norfolkshire. Verity accepts (since her sister is sick and she needs the money for her sister's medical bills). But Julian is finding innocent Blanche/Verity isn't what she seems to be.

I really enjoyed this story. It started off a bit slow but it picked up after they arrived at Norfolkshire. It was festive and heartwarming. I liked when Verity got the uninterested staff very interested and enthusiastic about getting the place ready for Christmas. Everyone threw themselves into the preparations, including Bertie and his ladyfriend. I liked how the week turned out different than what they expected and showed them all the true meaning of Christmas.

THE SEASON FOR SUITORS by Nicola Cornick

Ever since Clara Davenport became an heiress (after her Godmother died and left her a lot of money) she has had suitors approaching her and trying to compromise her to get her to marry them and get at her money. She asks an old acquaintance (Sebastian Fleet) if he can teach her how to outwit a rake. (Since Sebastian is the town's most notorious rake Clara figures who better than him to teach her?) Sebastian refuses, but he agrees to act as her escort to keep the men away for awhile...

This was a short and pleasant read, though it didn't have that much Christmas in it. I didn't find it as captivating as the Mary Balogh story but it had its moments. I liked the part when all the hero's servants got together, approached Clara, and plotted with Clara on how to get the hero to admit he loves Clara. (Since they all knew he did.)

THIS WICKED GIFT by Courtney Milan

I didn't care for this story and I ended up skimming through most of it. ( )
  SandraLynne | Nov 17, 2017 |
este livro é composto por vários contos natalícios, sendo que para mim o primeiro foi o melhor é merecia 4* mas os outros foram todos muito fraquinhos. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |
I picked up this book on a whim, and I'm so glad that I did, because it was really enjoyable. Each of the three stories surprised me in a different way. Big props especially go out to the first story, A Handful of Gold, for things I won't mention because they're spoilery, but I was seriously impressed.

Reading The Heart of Christmas reminded me of how much I love historical, even though it's a smaller section of my romance collection. I'll have to do something to remedy that soon. :) ( )
  RobynBachar | Feb 27, 2014 |
A Handful of Gold - 2 stars

Boring, generic story of the jaded rake transformed by the surprisingly virtuous opera dancer. Balogh skimped on characterization and emotion, instead playing tropes and archetypes like playing cards.

The Season for Suitors - 3 stars

Entirely forgettable story, but told well. Sebastian and Clara are adorable with their easy regard for each other - at times engaging in friendly bickering and at others barely keeping their mutual desire hidden. Lovely as the characters were, it didn't make up for the plot. Clara seeks Sebastian out for lessons in avoiding rakes, and everything you think comes next, does.

This Wicked Gift - 4 stars

This prequel of sorts to Milan's debut coming in January was all sorts of nifty. Lavinia and William Q. White are both working class, with no hidden aristocrats or wealthy relatives hidden anywhere. Straight-up, penny pinching, tea-reusing po' folk. I love stories with common people, so this alone merits a high score.

The plot was beyond unique, with twists and turns aplenty. William overhears Lavinia's younger brother telling her how he got swindled and tricked into signing a promissory note for 10 pounds. He then schemes to buy the note and use it to blackmail her into sleeping with him, since he wants her but is too poor to marry her. The ways Milan has her turn the tables on him and has him redeem himself were quite clever.

The characterization was quite insightful as well. Her description of Clara's interactions with her brother were spot on:

"Over fifteen years, Lavinia had become quite fluent in the foreign tongue known as Younger Brother...For instance, the average woman off the street would have thought that James had just offered her burned porridge. Lavinia knew better. What James had actually said was, 'Sorry I stole your money. I made you breakfast by way of apology. Forgive me?'"

Definitely the strongest of the three and fresh enough to make me want to read Proof by Seduction, even though the premise sounds ridiculous.
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |

Mary Baloghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornick, Nicolamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Milan, Courtneymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Anthology contains:

A Handful of Gold by Mary Balogh
The Season for Suitors by Nicola Cornick
The Wicked Gift by Courtney Milan

"A Handful of Gold" by Mary Balogh: Julian Dare is handsome and wealthy, the heir to an earldom, yet it takes a Christmas tryst in the country with the innocent Verity Ewing to teach him the true meaning of life.

"The Season for Suitors" by Nicola Cornick: After some close encounters with rakes in which she was nearly compromised into marriage, heiress Clara Davenport realizes that she needs some expert advice. And who better for the job than Sebastian Fleet, the most notorious rake in town? Inevitably, the tutelage doesn't go quite as planned, as both Sebastian and Clara find it difficult to remain objective when it comes to lessons of the heart!

"The Wicked Gift" by Courtney Milan: Lavinia Spencer has been saving her hard-earned pennies to provide her family with Christmas dinner. Days before the holiday, her brother is swindled, leaving them owing more than they can ever repay. Until a mysterious benefactor offers to settle the debt. Innocent Lavinia is stunned by what the dashing William White wants in return. Will she exchange a wicked gift for her family's fortune?

A handful of gold: Not only is Julian Dare dashing and wealthy, but he's the heir to an earldom. So what do you get a man who has everything? Innocent and comely Verity Ewing plans on giving Julian her heart--the most precious gift of all. The season for suitors: After some close encounters with rakes in which she was nearly compromised, heiress Clara Davenport realizes that she needs some expert advice. And who better for the job than Sebastian Fleet, the most notorious rake in town? But the tutelage doesn't go quite as planned, as both Sebastian and Clara find it difficult to remain objective when it comes to lessons of the heart. This wicked gift: Lavinia Spencer has been saving her hard-earned pennies to provide her family with Christmas dinner. Days before the holiday, her brother is swindled, leaving them owing more than they can ever repay. Until a mysterious benefactor offers to settle the debt. Innocent Lavinia is stunned by what the dashing William White wants in return. Will she exchange a wicked gift for her family's fortune?… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mary Balogh's book The Heart of Christmas was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible