dismiss

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of…

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex,…

by Ben Mezrich

"The high-energy tale of how two socially awkward Ivy Leaguers, trying to increase their chances with the opposite sex, ended up creating Facebook."--Jacket.

English (49)  Catalan (1)  All languages (50)
A very easy read. Having seen the movie, I think the way they presented it was a bit more engaging. Either way, read the book. ( )
  CraigTreptow | Dec 9, 2019 |
Not often I think the movie is better than the book but this is one of those times. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
Halfway through the book I was kinda over it. It went from an exciting back story to everything you would expect from a power hungry genius. Interesting book nonetheless. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
Este livro é um misto de relato documental e de estudo sobre a origem do Facebook e do ambiente universitário que lhe deu origem.

É interessante pela partilha de como as origens de uma ideia vencedora nunca são claras, mas sim resultam de uma complexa interacção e de um enredo que, na realidade, consegue superar a ficção.

É uma boa leitura para empreendedores de base tecnológica e para aqueles que estão motivados a criar a sua própria empresa ou avançar com o desenvolvimento de uma satisfação para necessidades observadas

Por último, é um excelente complemento ao filme A Rede, que teve por base este livro.
Nota: tal como no filme, o mentor do Facebook, não fica muito bem na fotografia... ( )
  lbgouveia | May 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book on one of the most revolutionary businesses of our time: Facebook. What got me intrigued was watching the movie, "The Social Network". I actually saw the movie first before reading the book.

In comparison, I must admit that many of the "dramatic" scenes and heated confrontations in the movie were left out of the book, which leads me to wonder about the accuracy of the movie.
Nevertheless, I found this book to be a great and enjoyable read. I also find it very diplomatic and fair to all sides. When analyzing the book, one can make strong cases for all sides of the dispute including Mark Zuckerberg.

My only issue is that I wish the author could have focused more on the business and growth aspects instead on the gossip and tabloid stuff. It would have been great to get a better look at Facebook the company over the first couple years, instead of Facebook, the dorm room prank-turn-business.

Overall, this book is an enjoyable and easy read and I highly recommend it. ( )
  Bipin_Banavalikar | Jan 22, 2016 |
There’s a fascinating book in Facebook’s origins, no doubt—one that explores the near-instantaneous transformation of undergraduates to captains of industry and helps us understand why the world was ready for the kind of social networking Facebook was designed to facilitate. But Mezrich doesn’t want to write it. He wants to start every chapter with an overbaked recreation and spice up the saga of stock options with metaphors right out of Creative Writing 101.
added by Shortride | editA. V. Club, Donna Bowman (Aug 20, 2009)

[W]hile Mr Mezrich spins a colourful tale... his take on the internal battles at Facebook is flawed. Mr Zuckerberg refused to be interviewed for the book, so the narrative is missing a crucial perspective. And Mr Mezrich appears to have relied heavily on sources with large axes to grind against Facebook’s boss.
added by Shortride | editThe Economist (pay site) (Aug 6, 2009)

Has Mr. Mezrich done anything wrong in grossly embellishing, exaggerating and tarting up his material as if he were writing a screenplay? Should the tactics of a script or roman à clef be used for a purportedly nonfiction chronicle?

It's a sexy idea, one that promises either a juicy tell-all or a hard-hitting exposé. The Accidental Billionaires is neither.

To Tonya, this geek's dream girl...
It was probably the third cocktail that did the trick.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,466,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible