The Accidental Billionaires by B. Mezrich

The Accidental Billionaires (edition 2010)

by B. Mezrich

Member:GoThouGeekly
Title:The Accidental Billionaires
Authors:B. Mezrich
Info:Arrow Books (2010), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal by Ben Mezrich

English (38)  Catalan (1)  All languages (39)
If you have seen the movie, The Social Network, you already know the plot. Filled with the purported conversations of college students from years ago, one must remain somewhat skeptical. However, I get really nervous when the author describes taking a flight from New York to San Francisco on a 757 “wide-body.” (It’s a narrow-body.)

Mezrich, himself, says several of the characters are composites (more red flags,) and some reviewers have complained the book was too long and boring. I listened to it as an audiobook while mowing the lawn, so my expectations in that regard aren’t terribly high, and I did enjoy - or at least found interesting - the legal stuff, i.e. really rich students suing other really rich students while sucking at daddy’s teat.

One does wonder what Zuckerberg might have accomplished had he been studying philosophy instead of computer science. The social outcast as future billionaire. Mostly the characters come across as very unhappy people.

Amusing, but take with a block of salt. The author himself has noted elsewhere that he was making do with limited sources, but that the point of the book was not to be history but rather a commentary on the values of current culture. I understand [b:Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions|514313|Bringing Down the House The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions|Ben Mezrich|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1175443045s/514313.jpg|502278] is a better representation of what the author can do. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
I oddly found a new respect for the slightly misunderstood Facebook Founder while reading this biographical account. It also gave me hope that no matter who you are if you have a drive to do something great you can achieve anything. ( )
  Buffy-Tinkes | Aug 15, 2013 |
It is hard to imagine a time before Google, before YouTube, before Twitter. They have become so ingrained in our psyche. But the one social platform that has become entwined into a normal everyday life more than any is Facebook.

A staggering 71% of the British public log in to Facebook every day, over 1 billion users worldwide have signed up, and it is worth an estimated $15m. That's a lot of people looking at a lot of ex's! Quite impressive for a company that launched in 2005.

But the most impressive fact of all has nothing to do with the size of the audience or the staggering value of a company barely out of nappies. The most impressive fact is that Facebook was created so guys could rate girls based om their level of hotness! That's it! No fancy business plan or 5-year strategy to make that first million. The fact is Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook in his dorm room at Harvard University so we could perv over the girl next door!

Please click here to read the rest of this review:
http://stevenscaffardi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/accidental-billionaires-ben-mezric... ( )
  StevenScaffardi | Jun 15, 2013 |
I would like to begin by saying this book makes me dislike Mark Zuckerberg. In general, people with poor social skills make me want to slap them and say, "Try Harder!" But this book makes it seem like Zuckerberg just doesn't care about other people...friends or not. He cares more about writing code.

Don't get me wrong, I like Facebook...but I do question Zuckerberg's ethical integrity. (Stealing ideas and dropping your supposed best friend from the company...really? That's not cool. And there are court proceedings to back up both of those stories...) Granted, it isn't fair to judge based on a book that was written without ever speaking to Zuckerburg, but his refusal to be interviewed says a lot.

I do wonder how this book can be categorized as non-fiction when the author even says he makes things up...didn't James Frey get boiled alive for that? ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
I stayed with this as long as I could - I recommend finding a good article about these guys and this over-dramatized version ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
There’s a fascinating book in Facebook’s origins, no doubt—one that explores the near-instantaneous transformation of undergraduates to captains of industry and helps us understand why the world was ready for the kind of social networking Facebook was designed to facilitate. But Mezrich doesn’t want to write it. He wants to start every chapter with an overbaked recreation and spice up the saga of stock options with metaphors right out of Creative Writing 101.
added by Shortride | editA. V. Club, Donna Bowman (Aug 20, 2009)

[W]hile Mr Mezrich spins a colourful tale... his take on the internal battles at Facebook is flawed. Mr Zuckerberg refused to be interviewed for the book, so the narrative is missing a crucial perspective. And Mr Mezrich appears to have relied heavily on sources with large axes to grind against Facebook’s boss.
added by Shortride | editThe Economist (pay site) (Aug 6, 2009)

Has Mr. Mezrich done anything wrong in grossly embellishing, exaggerating and tarting up his material as if he were writing a screenplay? Should the tactics of a script or roman à clef be used for a purportedly nonfiction chronicle?

It's a sexy idea, one that promises either a juicy tell-all or a hard-hitting exposé. The Accidental Billionaires is neither.

To Tonya, this geek's dream girl...
It was probably the third cocktail that did the trick.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307740986, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: Kevin Spacey on The Accidental Billionaires Kevin Spacey’s films include Superman Returns, Beyond the Sea, The Usual Suspects, American Beauty, Swimming with Sharks, Seven, L.A. Confidential, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Negotiator, Hurlyburly, K-Pax, and The Shipping News. He will next be seen in Men Who Stare at Goats opposite George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, and Jeff Bridges, as well as Nick Moran’s film Telstar opposite Colm O’Neil and Pam Ferris. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of The Accidental Billionaires:

I first met Ben Mezrich when I produced and starred in 21, the film adaptation of his great bestseller Bringing Down the House. Ben has a gift for finding high-energy, strange-but-true tales and The Accidental Billionaires is no exception.

You may think you know the story of the Facebook phenomenon, but you haven’t heard the whole story and never like this. Recreating the unbelievable rise of the world's biggest social network—not to mention the planet's youngest billionaire, Mark Zuckerberg—Ben tells a captivating story of betrayal, vast amounts of cash, and two friends who revolutionized the way humans connect to one another—only to have an enormous falling out and never speak again.

Eduardo Saverin and Mark Zuckerberg were two geeky, socially awkward Harvard undergrads who wanted nothing more than to be cool. While Eduardo chose the more straightforward path of trying to gain acceptance into one of the school's ultra-posh, semi-secret Final Clubs, Mark used his computer skills by hacking into Harvard's computers, pulling up all the pictures of every girl on campus to create a sort of "hot-or-not" site exclusive to Harvard. Though the prank nearly got Mark kicked out of college, he and Eduardo realized that they were on to something big. Thus, the initial concept of Facebook was born; what happened next, however, was right out of a Hollywood thriller.

The Accidental Billionaires is the perfect pairing of author and subject. It's pure summer fun—a juicy, fast-paced, unputdownable Mezrich tale that adds to his canon of lad lit. And Hollywood has come calling again: I'm currently working with Dana Brunetti, Scott Rudin, Mike Deluca, and Aaron Sorkin on the movie adaptation of The Accidental Billionaires. If the book is any indication, the film is going to be a must see.—Kevin Spacey

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:58 -0400)

Relates the story behind the founding of Facebook by Harvard University undergraduates, and describes how conflicting ideas for the future of the site destroyed the friendship of co-founders Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,084,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible