Tödlicher Mittsommer by Viveca Sten

Tödlicher Mittsommer (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Viveca Sten (Author), Dagmar Lendt (Translator)

The first book in Swedish author Viveca Sten's enormously popular Sandhamn Murders series. On a hot July morning on Sweden's idyllic vacation island of Sandhamn, a man takes his dog for a walk and makes a gruesome discovery: a body, tangled in fishing net, has washed ashore. Police detective Thomas Andreasson is the first to arrive on the scene. Before long, he has identified the deceased as Krister Berggren, a bachelor from the mainland who has been missing for months. All signs point to an accident--until another brutalized corpse is found at the local bed-and-breakfast. But this time it is Berggren's cousin, whom Thomas interviewed in Stockholm just days before. As the island's residents reel from the news, Thomas turns to his childhood friend, local lawyer Nora Linde. Together, they attempt to unravel the riddles left behind by these two mysterious outsiders--while trying to make sense of the difficult twists their own lives have taken since the shared summer days of their youth.… (more)
Member:SirThomas
Title:Tödlicher Mittsommer
Authors:Viveca Sten (Author)
Other authors:Dagmar Lendt (Translator)
Info:(2012), Ausgabe: 1, 370 Seiten
Collections:eBook, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Gelesen in 2020

Still Waters by Viveca Sten (2008)

English (15)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (25)
The first in a mystery series that takes place on Sandhamn Island in Sweden. Standard run of the mill police procedural mystery establishing the main characters for the continuation of the series.

I will not rabidly read through the series, but will pick one up now and then when in need of a mindless mystery. ( )
  tangledthread | Feb 20, 2020 |
When a man's body washes ashore on Sandhamn, Thomas Andreasson goes there to investigate with a couple of junior detectives while the team leader departs for her vacation. The recently divorced Thomas' connection to the island makes him a good choice to ask questions of the locals. When the dead man's only known surviving cousin also turns up dead, the team realizes both victims likely met their fate at the hands of a murderer. One story line which eventually shows a slight relation to the other involves Nora, a friend of Thomas, and her doctor husband who argue over a job opportunity. While this isn't a perfectly plotted mystery, its setting and likable characters keep readers engaged. While the book fits the police procedural category best, Nora does a bit of amateur sleuthing, making this one readers of both sub-genres might enjoy. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 13, 2020 |
My first impression of Still Waters was thrilled engagement. I thoroughly enjoyed Thomas Andreasson and the characterization of the supporting characters was strong. Then the narrative seemed to be derailed and increasingly overshadowed by some clunky backstory, flash-forward events and extraneous personal drama.

Perhaps some of this roughness was due to inexpert translation. However, that aspect didn't account for why the tale involved a tense matrimonial situation or the intrusion of too much description. I was especially derailed by Hendik's treatment of Nora; his behaviour was a huge trigger for my exclaiming out loud, "You stupid, self-centred prick, why don't you grow up?".

This degree of emotional involvement on my part does demonstrate that the author's writing can be extremely effective. But did it move the plot forward? Did such drama contribute to the theme developing around multiple murders and the main character's development? I think Thomas got a little lost in the chronicle with a very rushed dénouement. As well, the situation with Nora, which was never fully rounded out, resulted in a flat-lined story that left a strong 'meh' feeling. A sequel with Thomas is all very well, but would not be the place to recapture the tension build up in seeing "what happened with the other characters". ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jan 23, 2020 |
I loved the setting of Still Waters and the little tidbits of information I gleaned from the story. For instance, a sweltering summer day in Sweden is merely a winter's day here in southern Arizona. Another piece of trivia was learning what the Swedes call geraniums and impatiens. Perhaps it's because I do have a trivial mind, but I enjoy learning about things like this. As in other Swedish crime fiction that I've read, the author tends to be very precise about the streets traveled and the towns passed through as the police conduct their investigation. At this point, I've gotten used to it.

Viveca Sten's precision includes her characterizations. The main characters are described, warts and all. Nora's husband, Henrik, is a "wonderful" combination of spoiled brat and doctor-with-a-God-complex, so it's easy to see there's going to be some tension there. The characterization I found most rewarding was that of Thomas. He's a good police officer, hardworking, and very caring and understanding of others, but his reaction to his infant daughter's death definitely shows that he's not perfect.

Sten has written an excellent, multi-layered mystery in a vivid setting; however, I felt the entire book suffered from descriptive diarrhea. I think this was done in order to show the actual progression of a murder investigation. These things do not get solved within the hour timeframe of a television drama, as most people are accustomed to. But there are better ways of doing this than describing the exterior and interior of every building the characters enter (believe me, I don't think they left any building unentered), the clothing worn, or by each character having large periods of introspection.

Still Waters has a wonderful setting, a very good mystery, and some interesting characters, but all the added extras were exhausting. I doubt I will continue with the series. ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Oct 20, 2019 |
I enjoyed the twists in this one! It was a quick read and I didn’t expect the way it ended. Murders. Family drama. Takes place in Sweden. Detectives. Unexpected twists. What more could you ask for in a light read? ( )
  kstadt929 | Jan 3, 2019 |

Viveca Stenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassaigne, RémiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Omistettu urhealle äidilleni
Oli aivan hiljaista, rauhallista kuten aina talvisin, kun saaristo on pyhitetty ainoastaan vakituisille asukkaille eivätkä äänekkäät kesävieraat ole vallanneet saaria käyttöönsä.

On a hot July morning on Sweden’s idyllic vacation island of Sandhamn, a man takes his dog for a walk and makes a gruesome discovery: a body, tangled in fishing net, has washed ashore.

Police detective Thomas Andreasson is the first to arrive on the scene. Before long, he has identified the deceased as Krister Berggren, a bachelor from the mainland who has been missing for months. All signs point to an accident—until another brutalized corpse is found at the local bed-and-breakfast. But this time it is Berggren’s cousin, whom Thomas interviewed in Stockholm just days before.

As the island’s residents reel from the news, Thomas turns to his childhood friend, local lawyer Nora Linde. Together, they attempt to unravel the riddles left behind by these two mysterious outsiders—while trying to make sense of the difficult twists their own lives have taken since the shared summer days of their youth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,399,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible