Horns by Joe Hill

Horns

by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (227)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (235)
So - here we have a book about a dead beat man whose girlfriend died a grizzly murder. Ig is the prime suspect, but the evidence wasn't there to convict him. So, on the anniversary of Merrin's Death, Ig gets drunk, and does something. What that something is, we don't know. But, Ig wakes up with a new set of horns as well as the ability to "hear" a person's darkest thoughts, and the ability to push them to act on it. This gives Ig the ability to track down Merrin's Killer, but at a cost...

The book was creepy. Not in a traditional horror story way, but in a psychology in your head type book. Its creepy, and very disturbing. At times, not an easy read. At other times, darkly funny. I'm glad I read it... it gave me a lot to think about - specifically what is evil. But, I don't think this is a book for everybody. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 3, 2018 |
I'd read a lot of contrasting reviews of this book prior to picking it up myself. Most of the reviews I read claimed that the book pretty much should have been two separate ones.. after having read it, I disagree.

I would have given this one five stars (yes, I'm generous with five stars) if it weren't for the beginning. Personally, and I realize that I'm a bit in the minority here, I like my horror to be a bit on the subtle side. The beginning of this book does not deliver that - not in the least. Joe, normally one of the subtlest writers I've ever read, bashes the reader over the head with smirking references to the devil before he pulls out the remainder of the book like a magician doing a particularly wonderful book.

I was rolling my eyes until partway through the second third. That was when Joe shined. A master of conclusions, the resolution in the book is entirely satisfying. Joe artfully weaves his explanations until the plot comes together in a near perfect climax. The ending of the book is magnificent, it more than makes up for the clumsy beginning. And so, the book was overall great. If you can get through the beginning, stick it out to the end and you won't be disappointed.

Joe Hill, my hat is off to you. I can't wait to see what else you come up with and wish you a long and fruitful career. I'll be following in your footsteps. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Horns de Joe Hill es un libro muy interesante con una historia algo original y muy buena ejecución. Como punto negativo, la historia a veces suele ponerse algo lenta y aburrida y no hay ningún personaje con el que podamos sentirnos identificados o sentir algún tipo de aprecio. Los últimos capítulos se mueven con fluidez y el final es satisfactorio. Joe Hill hace un buen trabajo en general pero considero que "Heart-Shaped Box" y su antología de cuentos obtuvieron -para mi- mejores resultados. Puntuación: 3.5/5 ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, and read it in two sessions. If you go along for the (admittedly disturbing) ride, you'll have a good time. After reading, it's got some flaws that bother me, though. U found this far more even and enjoyable than Heart Shaped Box, though it does meander a bit. There are several unanswered questions in the book, some of them integral to the story, and I'm not comfortable with the way women are handled in the story. There are a few annoying plot holes as well, which normally would have put a book down to three stars.

On the other hand, it's a fast-paced and fun read. Even if I do typically grown at traditional representations of the Devil in fiction, I'm was willing to give this book a pass because it was fun. Which is also why it rates the fourth star from me, because 'fun' counts. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
I watched the movie before reading the book. I enjoyed the movie and I enjoyed this read as well until it just went on and on and on. It just seemed like there were a ton of unnecessary story lines or details. Character development could have been a little bit better. That being said, it wasn’t bad. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,024,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible