dismiss

Horns by Joe Hill

Horns

by Joe Hill

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)

English (247)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (255)
This is one hell of a fun novel.

Let me get rid of all the side stuff first... I'm reading this because I respect Joe Hill on his own merits and it's far from the first novel I've read of his. That being said, EVEN IF it wasn't Joe Hill, I had a fantastic time reading this!

Let's take the whole devil trope and turn it into a body/psychological horror novel, shall we? But let's turn away from the outside agency angle. :) Add a bit of the Lucifer tv show angle, add a few horns on Ig's head and the inability for anyone to quite remember that they had just been talking to an apparent demon or that they just spilled all their most horrible thoughts to the guy, and run with this.

This is fantastically sick. Difficult. Pleasurable, even. In the, oh god, everyone really thinks THIS of me already, why don't I give them something to REALLY munch on kind of way. :)

But then the novel became something a lot deeper when we got into the flashbacks and the love story. We get into the heads of the people who did him some serious harm thanks to a bit of touch-telepathy flashback power going on as Ig turns into a demon. The reveals hinted at only get more twisted and allegory-ish as we move on, but you know what I like best about this?

The devil never gets to be the hero. We WANT him to be the hero, tho, and that's what's really great about this.

So two thumbs WAY up. :) I never once got bored. I FELT something for these characters. :)

And no, I'm probably not going to watch the movie made from this. I don't want to spoil my very positive reaction. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This book was so hilarious and awesome. The best part is when he's giving a sermon to the snakes. Didn't much care for the whole "she had cancer and actually wanted to save you the pain of her dying" thing , it would have been better if she just actually wanted to get experience in life. But meh it was forgivable for the rest, also love that lee lobotomised himself. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
Joe Hill's work is something else all together. His books are driven by very strong and relatable characters. He manages to give food for thought even after you close the cover. Hill has more than earned the right to not just be compared to his father. He's a great talent.

Ignatius (Ig) wakes up from a drunken stupor to discover he has horns growing out of his head. At first he believes he’s losing his mind but quickly discovers that they are indeed real and come with a terrifying power that compel others to spill what they’re really thinking and it’s never all hearts and flowers either.

Poor Ig learns things about those closest to him that would destroy most people and soon realizes he is completely alone. A year earlier the love of his life, Merrill, was brutally raped and murdered and though Ig was never formally charged his small town has convicted him in their minds believing his well to-do parents pulled strings that allowed him to get away with murder. He’s been unable to find any sort of peace -- thus the drunken stupor of the previous night. With his devilish new powers, Ig is a man on a mission determined to find a killer . . .

I picked it up a few days ago, and was immediately (and I mean from the first paragraph) hooked. One of the major plot questions is answered fairly early on, and let me tell you...that didn't slow down the pace of the story at all. Since I knew the who...I wanted to know the why, and I raced through the book to find out. Along the way, I became more intimately acquainted with one chilling dude, and fell in love with Marrin. She was a peach. Ig, he was a very interesting character to read about. I don't know if I've ever come across such a tortured character. Its just one of the first books I've read where the main character is more of a lesser of two evils then a good guy. It was interesting, I enjoyed the different perspective.

This book really has layers. Every time I got a little thrill from figuring something out, he would peel back another layer that would leave me filled with as many questions as ever. He never lets you quit guessing. I'm sure a lot of people were put off by the constant changes of time, place and perspective, sometimes in the middle of a chapter. Not me. I thought it kept things interesting. I'm a big fan of the way he paced and organized everything. I loved the way Ig evolved, and embraced his inner "demon", and learned how to use it.

The book then switches off going back to the past and present and becomes a unique mystery, love story, coming of age tale that brings all the characters to vivid life. It’s horrible, beautiful, emotional, darkly humorous and one of the best books I've read. I am going to track down a hard copy of this book and keep it with me to reread.

9-25-2019:
Just as good a novel as the first time. Audiobook borrowed from the library, this time. I need to purchase the audiobook, for sure.
The audiobook is narrated by Fred Berman, who was wonderful. His accents and characterizations were fantastic. I enjoyed every second of this for of the novel, and pushed myself to finish it in two days. Who needs sleep...! ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
2020 review-4.5 stars
Literally 0 issues with this book like I don’t even know why but I just love it. The characters are all intense, the flashes from present to past flow smoothly, the visuals are great, and the book leaves you feeling dirty/grimy. Can’t wait to read it again in the coming years!
*Hill is the best tbh*

2015 review-4 stars
[So it took me over three months to read this book, but I'm not convinced that it's due to the book but rather due to myself.
Entertaining may be the wrong word to describe the story, though there were moments where I found myself laughing. When will Ig Perrish catch a break? Never. ( )
  ambernreads | Apr 15, 2020 |
This was so sad. :( ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,711,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible