Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Member:readingdate
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 370 pages
Tags:to-read

Horns by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (177)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (184)
Ignatius Perrish wakes up one morning with a nasty hangover and a pair of horns growing from his temples...

Horns was a book that sounded really cool, a man wakes up with horns and the power to make those around him their deep dark secrets. And, in a way the book was good, but it was also a book that I felt just wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Sure the part when everyone around him started to reveal what they really thought was fun, but I never really felt that the story becomes really engrossing to read. It's an OK read, nothing more nothing less. But, I wish it had been more horrifying or at least, more intense to read... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |

DariaZav | Feb 9, 2016 |
Definitely kept me hooked. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Ig Perrish is not having a good year. His beloved, Merrin Williams, was raped and murdered one year ago. Everyone, even his parents, believe that he is the murderer but not enough evidence existed to charge him. Now, he has awakened with horns growing out of his skull and possessing the power for those who encounter him to confess their deepest desires. Although I thought the Heart-Shaped was a better read, this book was a good read. As the son of Stephen King, it's nice that the acorn didn't fall from the oak tree. He is just as gifted as his father. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 22, 2016 |
Maybe it's because I read Hill's "Heart Shaped Box" recently, and it scared the bejeebies out of me. Or it may be because I has just finished a few excellent thrillers before picking up this one. Or, maybe it's because I couldn't stop thinking of Harry Potter as Ig, because of the movie promotions. In any event, I didn't really care for this one. I thought the characters were pretty flat, the action was a little slow, and the secret thoughts presented out loud to Ig were sophomoric musings.

The premise is a smart one: Ig's girlfriend is murdered, everyone secretly thinks Ig did it (even his family), and he sprouts horns until he can solve the mystery.

However, once you read the summary above (found on Shelfari), you really have no need to read the book. I mean, you can read the last chapter to find out how it ends, but by the time you are halfway through, you already have a pretty good idea...

While this won't turn me off Joe Hill books, I can't recommend this one. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,269,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible