Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Member:readingdate
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 370 pages
Tags:to-read

Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (169)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (176)
It would have been much better if it wasn't sexist as hell. ( )
1 vote AshleyDioses | Aug 1, 2015 |
What would you do if you woke up one morning and discovered you had grown horns overnight? If it was the morning after a bender you would think it was a hallucination. Ig did! But no such luck! Ignatius Perrish had everything a young man could want. He was born to a privileged family in a small town. He had good friends and finally someone he loved and, amazingly who loved him just as much. All that was tarnished when Merrin Williams was murdered and he was the prime suspect. He was never charged, but all of sudden everyone in town looked at him a little differently. They proclaimed his innocence, but it wasn’t what they truly believed. It’s hard to take the high road when everyone thinks the worst, so Ig resigns himself to never knowing the truth and never feeling comfortable in his own skin again. Turns out the horns that miraculously grew one day were his saving grace (so to speak) because anyone in their presence was compelled to tell the truth; their deepest, darkest secrets. So we follow Ig on his quest to find the real murderer.

I didn’t like this book … and then I liked … and then I liked it more … and finally I was undecided. Unlike his first novel HEART SHAPED BOX (which I loved), HORNS is not a straightforward tale. It takes the reader down a few bumpy, uncomfortable paths before we see the light. The characters are gritty and for the most part unlikable. Even our hero Ignatius is a little hard to warm to, but those are the qualities that made this book work. A good read that takes seriously the phrase “sometimes you have to be bad to be good". ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Part murder mystery and part romance that wades into debates of theology and morality. This is a mutifaeted novel that does what the best genre fiction does, which is push against genre. Despite his comfortable upbringing, Ig really goes through hell (pun intended) and you root for him the whole way, perhaps with some reservations as a good dose of moral ambiguity is thrown in. There aren't really any static , cut and dry characters here. Everybody changes or reveals themselves in different ways, which is a hallmark of great storytelling. I have to say that I aborted attempts to finish three or four Stephen King novels over the years for whatever reason. Joe Hill, though similarly attuned to details, writes in a different way about different characters. The comparisons to his dad are too lazy. If you like genre fiction that pushes against genre, or even if you're more or a literary snob like me, give this a chance. ( )
1 vote poetontheone | Jun 9, 2015 |
This is my first delve into the world of Joe Hill. I found this book original and I really did not know what was going to happen next. Our main character, Ignatius “Ig” Parrish, has been living a life of hell after his girlfriend was murdered a year ago. Most of the small town blames Ig. Strange things start to happen when these horns began grow from his head and people began spouting every truthful thing they are thinking about Iggy and more.

I read this before I saw the movie with Daniel Radcliffe. There is more going on in the book then they fit in the movie. Some metaphysical parts of the story was taken out of the movie possibly because it was hard to understand in the film format but easier picturing mentally.

I liked the book because of the questions it brings up about religious beliefs. It brings up ideas about the fight between good and bad, inside all of us or in this case inside Ig Parrish. All the characters really felt unique and really standout. Even after reading the book they still stick with me, making me wondering what the people in Ig’s town is up to now.

In the book I was a little confused about the snakes that followed Ig. I think they were able to talk or he was able to understand them somehow. It is something that was cut out of the movie, that and a few minor things.

There is a dark and bittersweet feeling over the story from beginning to end. My mind is really attached to the characters, and that is unusual for me. My mind will blank out after I finish if it is not a good book. This one I probably read over six months ago and yet I still remember the fictional people in this book. It is a good October read. ( )
  lavenderagate | May 30, 2015 |
Interesting book. Joe writes a lot like his father. ( )
  hredwards | May 9, 2015 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,040,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible