Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Member:readingdate
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 370 pages
Tags:to-read

Horns by Joe Hill

2010 (32) 2013 (12) audiobook (15) demons (25) devil (64) ebook (30) fantasy (47) fiction (157) hardcover (12) horror (267) Joe Hill (13) Kindle (20) love (14) magical realism (17) murder (51) mystery (15) New Hampshire (23) novel (21) rape (13) read (21) read in 2010 (33) read in 2011 (13) religion (16) revenge (53) Satan (13) signed (18) supernatural (37) thriller (28) to-read (76) unread (13)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (139)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (145)
Two things prompted me to read this book:
1. The synopsis: Guy wakes up one day with a terrrrrible hangover, can't remember what happened last night, and...woah! Are those HORNS growing out of the top of his head??
With a plot set up like that, I'm thinking this is going to be the most hilarious 'horror' book evah...(not quite)

2. Joe Hill is Stephen King's SON. And he's writing horror novels too? Is he as good as his dad? Is he any good? (def not as good as dad, but there is potential for him to get better!)

As mentioned earlier, the plot REALLY drew me in. But then, there were many a times while reading that I felt it was really contrived/too cheesy at times. (Trying to make too many symbols, yes, symbolism rocks, but going overboard reminds me of my students trying to write them...)

I don't feel I ever got a good answer about WHY the horns started growing (which is disappointing)...and the ending was....not what I felt it could have been.

This was a great summer read (as in, it is not a textbook for class), but I do feel a bit disappointed in how the book played out. I think it could have been SO much more...

I might be interested in Hill in a few years, after he's had more time to develop himself. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Two things prompted me to read this book:

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It was definitely not what I was expecting. I am so glad to read a good book that doesn't follow some cookie cutter plot. Excellent story. ( )
  AnotherDarnReader | Jun 7, 2014 |
Everything I've read by Joe Hill, thus far has been superb.
Like his famous father, he's a master of terror and suspense. I don't creep out easily but his books give me goosebumps, startle at a bump in the night and stay up waaaay past my bedtime because I just can't get enough. ( )
  christina.m.kettmann | May 15, 2014 |
Joe Hill is a master of his craft. Every written thought, spoken word, characterization, and action is thoroughly treated with an expert touch. The reader is blessed with a complete understanding of the author's earthly and demonic premises.

This was a page-turner with a conscience provoking story. It almost makes me believe that the horns I saw on an evil man's head one time were real.
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible