Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Member:readingdate
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2010), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 370 pages
Tags:to-read

Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Rose Madder by Stephen King (sturlington)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (165)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (172)
Interesting book. Joe writes a lot like his father. ( )
  hredwards | May 9, 2015 |
Ig Perrish awakens from a drunken night and finds he has grown horns. Not only that strange things start to happen.

Joe Hill is Stephen Kings son so its no surprise that he writes horror. At times with this book I thought I coukd have been reading a Stephen King.

This book stsrted of for me quite well snd I was really enjoying it. However it comes clear about 200 pages in who killed Merrin, Igs girlfriend, if the reader hasn't already guessed. So I did think how can a further 200 pages be filled. I struggled because I felt the story was covering old ground and became very repeatative.

My second niggke which is not the authors fault is that the book is full of snakes. I have a real phobia of snakes and found I was swuirming while reading and have to admit to skipping big chunks because of my phobia.

The story all came together and Merrins actions made sense with the revelation towards the end. The book was a lot better than what I thought it would be, but very overlong at times. ( )
  tina1969 | May 2, 2015 |
Interesting premise, good characters, great mixture of humor and horror, but a disappointing ending. This would have been a great short story, or even a 300 pg novel - there was no need for it to be closer to 500 pages - but, that is exactly the reason I don't care for Stephen King (Joe Hill's Dad). Both authors are great story tellers, but they let the details overwhelm the story - a little history is nice, a few details are helpful, but with both authors I end up skipping several pages at a time and finding I haven't actually missed anything of import. If you like King, and you like the detailed writting and you want to know everything that has ever happened in a characters life - then I highly recomend this book. If not, I still recommend it, but just know what you're getting into. ( )
1 vote BeckyGraham1016 | Apr 25, 2015 |
Not my cup of tea. I would recommend it for adults who enjoy reading endlessly about misfortune, revenge and torture. ( )
  Spiritus3 | Apr 7, 2015 |
26-year old Ig wakes up one day after an evening of drinking to find he has grown horns! What's even more surprising is people don't really seem to notice. Not only that, people start spilling their worst secrets to him.

His girlfriend of ten years, Merrin, had previously been raped and murdered. Now, Ig is able to learn more about what happened... and he is bent on revenge.

I really liked this. It is told from different points of view and also in flashbacks, but it's not difficult to follow, I didn't think. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 8, 2015 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible