Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Joe Hill

Member:thessaly
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***

Horns by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (203)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (211)
I liked a lot about this book. I liked the writing - it was readable and kept my interest. The characters, most of them anyway, were enjoyable. The ones I did not like were written in a way that didn't bother me. What made me mad was the book would have several pages set at a certain time; it would tell what happened in the past; then the next section would go back in time and be about what was revealed. If the story was told from start to end it would be great. I kept telling myself I wish I didn't know what was coming. It would be exciting when things appeared if I did not know about it. For that one thing I give it one star. ( )
  mainrun | Feb 15, 2017 |
I got this audio book after having listened to the wonderfully creepy, Christmas themed, NOS4A2, also by Joe Hill. I had wanted to read this one for awhile and found myself liking how the audio was read so much that I just stuck with the audio version for my daily commutes. The “gift” of the horns for Ig become comical at times as well as disheartening. Ig decides to track down and exact his revenge on his girlfriend, Merrins, killer. Being blamed for the murder himself and at his whits ends, Ig has suddenly be endowed with a new pair of horns, ones that seem to bring out the devil in everyone, including himself. Ig is finding that being able to coax out peoples inner desires can lead to undesirable results, ones that might not be favorable in his quest. I felt sad for Ig during the majority of the book…along with hatting pretty much everyone else in the story.

Review » ( )
  SciFiMostTheTime | Feb 14, 2017 |
I thought this book was a fun read, not scary, but well worth the read. It is a murder mystery with a supernatural bent as the main character has horns growing out of his head. I think I liked it so much as I rather liked his idea of the devil. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Jan 30, 2017 |
There are some slow bits, and quite a bit of flashback chapters, which I'm not usually a huge fan of. However, they were necessary to the plot and did not seem forced or strange at all. They were added at appropriate times to give us necessary and important information.

I liked that every character introduced or mentioned had a part to play, however small or large, and it all fit in nicely. This book is well though out and planned, and everything comes together. Not a loose end in sight by the end.

This book does raise some interesting philosophical and theological questions, however it allows the reader to decide the answers while simultaneously not leaving the feeling that the questions are unanswered in a way that is distracting or weird. Even the questions that it does answer seem to allow for interpretation, for the reader's choice at agreeing or disagreeing with the answer given. But, the questions don't seem out of place or tedious or otherwise annoying. They fit into the plot well.

During no point while reading this book did I wish that I had not brought it home with me. It was good from the start and grabbed my attention from the very first paragraph all the way to the ending sentence.

Horns is definitely worth taking home and more than worth the read. It leaves you still thinking even after the last chapter. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
Effectively mixing humor and brutal honesty, "Horns" is a diabolically good read from the son of the King himself, Joe Hill. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,457,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible