Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Joe Hill

Member:thessaly
Title:Horns: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***

Horns by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like the darkly humorous aspects of Horns, you may like You Suck. Like Horns, You Suck has paranormal elements, and the protagonist has to cope with newly found powers after a mysterious occurrence.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (183)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (190)
I was intrigued by the premise of Horns, and the beginning portion of the book pulled me in immediately. However, the novel lost me with the substantial flashback to Ig's, the main character, childhood. The amount of time lent to the hiring love affair between Ig and Merrin made this feel like a lot story more so than a horror story with supernatural elements. The reasons for the appearance of the horns were, at best, never clearly defined or, at worst, just didn't feel significant enough.

At times I felt sympathy for Ig, but mostly I didn't feel anything but dislike for the characters and they didn't feel real to me at all. The writing was simple and plain and I could appreciate that, but the story lacked a true identity. I bought I was signing up for something dark and haunting, but this seemed to mid the man completely. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Mar 21, 2016 |
Great book. I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Wow. I am sad it is finished. I thought it was so interesting although as I said in my update, it was quite weird as well.

It began quite weird, then it felt more like a SK book. I really got to know the characters and I felt great suspense what was going to happen but in the end it became weird again. There were a few things I did not understand which is very annoying but boy am I glad I read this book and how I wish it was 20 chapters longer. ;) That is also why I can not rate it higher,because there were a few things not worked out enough I guess.

About the tree of the mind. I must look it up but it said something like that the terrible things that happened there and I thought that would be explained. (could not find it anymore)

I also loved that it was Ig who had tried to get into the tree while he was there in another time with Merrin. So beautiful.

It feels like I am still there. In the lives of Merrin and Ig and Terry and Lee and all the crazy human beings that appeared in this book.
Of this one I would like a sequel. I am so glad that the style of SK is not going to end after his death.His son learned from the master.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This was kind of depressing in a way, not always, just that, that poor poor guy! For a Ig has been shunned, everyone, well almost everyone thinks he raped and killed his girlfriend. And that his rich family got him free. Just move Ig, move. That town is horrible.

But as this is horror then things will get spooky. His gets horns, people start telling him their secrets, desires. And they tell him f:ed up things. Disturbing things, things he sure does not want to hear. Especially not from people he cares about.

With this new found ability the most obvious route is of course to try to find the real killer. The road there will give flashbacks about their love story, his friends, family and what led up to that dark night.

And it will get freaky too! I will not spoil things, but wtf? Some seriously weird things going on at the end.

I liked his journey, and story. I never knew where I had everyone, and I so wanted to real killer to pay in the end. And the end, well it was fitting for horror. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
So much fun reading this book! The story draws you in and won't let you go until it spits you out at the end as says "there! Take that!" Loved the tutu the most I think ( )
  brandochic | Feb 22, 2016 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible