Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Collections:Russian, Ebooks, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:devil, horror, thriller, adult

Horns by Joe Hill

2010 (31) 2013 (11) audiobook (14) demons (22) devil (60) ebook (28) fantasy (47) fiction (148) hardcover (12) horror (256) Joe Hill (13) Kindle (17) love (14) magical realism (17) murder (48) mystery (16) New Hampshire (23) novel (19) rape (13) read (20) read in 2010 (32) read in 2011 (12) religion (13) revenge (52) Satan (13) signed (19) supernatural (36) thriller (26) to-read (64) unread (14)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (133)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (139)
Ig awakens following a night of drunken debauchery with a throbbing headache. A trip to the bathroom and a glance in the mirror reveals that he has amazingly sprouted a pair of horns.

This is coming off a tragic turn of events the previous year in which his girlfriend was found raped and murdered. Unfortunately, all the evidence that could have cleared him had been destroyed. So without a way to prove his innocence, the entire town is convinced he’s the culprit.

We soon find out that these horns are not just decorative; they bring to Ig a strange new ability that compels people to confess their true thoughts and their darkest desires.

I’m going to begin this review by saying that the first 10 chapters of this book are simply amazing. Never before had I felt so many emotions for a character – and that includes the constant anxiety and helplessness I felt while reading [b:The Road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320606344s/6288.jpg|3355573]. That being said, I’m not in any way stating that what follows them is of lesser quality; the book is quite the experience – it’s just those first few chapters are agonizing.

That fact that Ig is genuinely a nice guy is what rips your heart out. Hearing all the townspeople hold nothing back when verbally tearing him apart can be heartbreaking. Joe Hill refuses to give you any time to digest each tirade as the one that follows turns out to be far worse than the last.

Last year, I read a book entitled [b:A Ticket to the Boneyard|162923|A Ticket to the Boneyard (Matthew Scudder, #8)|Lawrence Block|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316037714s/162923.jpg|74254] by [a:Lawrence Block|17613|Lawrence Block|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1303856083p2/17613.jpg] and at the time, I was convinced I had discovered the most frightening literary villain yet. In Joe Hill’s [b:Horns|6587879|Horns|Joe Hill|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275832291s/6587879.jpg|6781405], I was introduced to a character so disgusting that he gives James Leo Motley a run for his money - which I didn't think was possible. That's about all I'm prepared to say on that, you'll just have to read it.

While it's not always possible, there are some situations out there where people have shown that talent can sometimes be inherited. I can't speak for Hill's other work (I hope to change that soon) but with Horns, he at least shows that he has the talent to be a great storyteller like his father.

I sincerely loved this book. It’s easily an early contender for favourite of 2012 (yes, I know it’s only January but I was pretty impressed) and has earned a spot on my coveted favorites shelf. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
i dont know what to make of this. it certainly grabbed me, then it was a little hard to read. good story, i felt bad for ig. but i like the way it was explained that just because he was the devil, it didn't make him evil. the devil appears actually as a hero many times. lots to think about. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Boom! Last book of 2011. 55 for the YEAR!
It was absolutely fantastic. It presents an idea of what becoming a devil might be like. Not necessarily an 'easy' read, but enjoyable and propelling nonetheless. What I find fascinating about Hill's novels is that they always depict (the two [including this one] that I've read) depict a protagonist that comes from money. At first I thought that Ig was trailer trash. He was not in the least, though Lee still came off as that. Anyway. Great. Excellent.

Hill is a writing force of his own. Extremely distinct from his father.

Definitely should be a to-read. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I bought Horns after reading a wonderful review by Chris Farnell at http://floor-to-ceiling-books.blogspot.com Thanks Chris!

Containing one of the most original and intriguing premises I've ever read, Horns is a highly unusual book that explores the grey areas of good and evil using a mix of dark humor, the supernatural, and stark reality. It examines the ugly underbelly of human nature and forces us to consider our own personal demons. Horns was almost sinfully enjoyable and and a delightful guilty pleasure to read.

After a night of drunken debauchery, Ignatius Perrish wakes up to find that he has grown horns on his head. You would think that this would be fairly alarming for the people that see him, but one of the unusual powers these horns seem to possess is that of being overlooked or quickly forgotten by people. The more disturbing effect of these horns is that people who are within their range have the uncontrollable urge to confess their deepest darkest thoughts and wishes to Ignatius. This can be particularly problematic for Ignatius since most of these people believe he murdered his popular girlfriend and they generally do not think very nice thoughts about him nor do they wish him well. He explores the many facets to his newly acquired horns and discovers he can use them to not only find out what people really think, but also make suggestions that they are likely to act upon. Too bad about that free will thing, he can't seem to force people to do his bidding, only if its something they subconsciously want for themselves can he push them in any certain direction. He decides to use these powers to discover who really murdered the girlfriend who he loved more than anything. But what will he do when he finds the answers?

Most of the characters are highly unlikable but the story itself is compelling. The one thing that detracted from the book was the uneven pacing. While some of the book was edge of your seat exciting, other chapters crawled along at a snails pace. There were many times when I wondered where the author was going with the story as it seemed he was going off into areas that had nothing to do with the plot, but all the pieces fell into place by the end. With a writing style and creative subject matter that is reminiscent of his famous father as well as authors like Clive Barker, Joe Hill is definitely an author to watch out for. With his macabre sense of humor and perceptive notions of the darker aspects of the human personality, I’m sure there will be more darkly delightful books from this author. ( )
1 vote a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
This was the third work I've read from Joe Hill. Unlike the collection 20th Century Ghosts, Horns was weak I thought. LIke Heart Shaped Box, the characters just didn't have depth. Hill throws some stuff in to make them have depth, but it seems like a weak attempt.

Overall, this was like a beach read - fluff fiction, but for horror fans. I'm not a horror fan, but I can enjoy a good, well-crafted read. This just was cookie cutter and I think it'll be my last Joe Hill book.

And although Hill attempts to have some mystery around the characters, at the same time, he made some so obviously off the deep end evil, there was really no mystery. ( )
  Sean191 | Mar 3, 2014 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible