Horns: A Novel by Joe Hill

Horns: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Joe Hill

Collections:Russian, Ebooks, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:devil, horror, thriller, adult

Horns by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    sturlington: Better Joe Hill, in my opinion.
    The Shining by Stephen King (level250geek)
    level250geek: Stephen King's seminal work of horror, this book also confronts evil and humanity, putting in the reader's face things they'd rather not see.
    Mike Careys One Sided Bargains by Mike Carey (level250geek)
    level250geek: Adapting the story of Faust in three unique ways, Carey examines humanity's relationship with sin, temptation, and evil.
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub (ktoonen)
    Rose Madder by Stephen King (sturlington)
    Come Closer by Sara Gran (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Similar plotlines and styles, though the narrative in Come Closer is more personal and Horns more distant.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (ktoonen)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (level250geek)
    level250geek: Hill was obviously inspired by this work, which frames Satan as a tragic hero, much like the way Ig is characterized in Horns.
    The Mailman by Bentley Little (ktoonen)

English (161)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (168)
26-year old Ig wakes up one day after an evening of drinking to find he has grown horns! What's even more surprising is people don't really seem to notice. Not only that, people start spilling their worst secrets to him.

His girlfriend of ten years, Merrin, had previously been raped and murdered. Now, Ig is able to learn more about what happened... and he is bent on revenge.

I really liked this. It is told from different points of view and also in flashbacks, but it's not difficult to follow, I didn't think. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 8, 2015 |
This dark fantasy surprised me with its twisted sense of humor and its periods of normalcy. The descriptions of place and action were so vivid that they played in my minds eye like a memory. Glimpses of humanity were often dark and painful as well as disturbing, cruel, unnerving and heartbreaking. The love story is touching and sweet but contains dark undercurrents because of the foreknowledge by the reader of what lies ahead. Images and conversation are often very sexual in the way of adolescent boys. The characters were well-developed. The fantasy elements were imaginative but made me long for more. I had to set my own personal beliefs aside in order to ponder the philosophy of the main character. His tragedy made doing so easier than it would have been otherwise. While I disagreed with him, I felt I understood his mindset, and some of his ideas made for thoughtful consideration. In fact, the philosophical depth of Horns was the most surprising element. Though on it’s face a revenge novel with a horrible tragedy at it’s core, it goes deeper than that, challenging generally accepted beliefs about the Christian doctrine. There is definitely a message here and some might even find it offensive. But, beyond the obvious and some might say sacrilegious “sermon” delivered by Ig, the reader may, as I did, take away something else entirely. Definitely a more though-provoking book than I expected. Not for everyone, but I found it well worth the read. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Feb 28, 2015 |
Good story, interesting characters, and the plot was a good supernatural crime thriller. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-sF
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-sF ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 21, 2015 |
One of the most original books I have read in recent memory. When I thought there was nothing new under the sun, Joe Hill surprised me. One warning: If you didn't like his debut, Heart Shaped Box, you may not like this one. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and often original... a richly nuanced story... fire and brimstone have rarely looked this good.

Mr. Hill, whose outstandingly inventive first novel was “Heart-Shaped Box” (2007), is able to combine intrigue, editorializing, impassioned romance and even fiery theological debate in one well-told story.

Satan is one of us; so much more so than Adam or Eve."
--Michael Chabon, "On Daemons & Dust"
To Lenora--love, always
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk doing terrible things.
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private pergatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealthy, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside...

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look - a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge...it's time the devil had his due.

After his childhood sweetheart is brutally killed and suspicion falls on him, Ig Parrish goes on a drinking binge and wakes up with horns on his head, hate in his heart, and an incredible new power which he uses in the name of vengeance.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,286,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible