When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian…

When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson (2002)

by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Other authors: Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

9519913,832 (4.4)11

This book is a biography of the life of Marian Anderson. She went to become one of the greatest singers of her era and persevered against racism and prejudice to achieve her dreams. Marian Anderson is best known for her groundbreaking concert at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, which drew an integrated crowd of 75,000 people in pre-Civil Rights America. This book serves as a way to show that you do not need to be a president or an activist to bring change to the world. I would use this book as a supplement to a lesson about the Civil Rights Movement. ( )
  GloriaSidney | Mar 16, 2019 |
I did not know anything about Marian before I read this book. The story and illustrations beautifully told the story of how Marian became one of the greatest sigers of her time. She set an example to everyone around her, breaking barriers and showing that you can overcome any obstacle in your life. ( )
  frmarr | Jan 16, 2019 |
When Marian Sang. The illustrator does a wonderful job depicting and taking the reader back in time. Marian accomplished beauty. She sang on the steps of Lincolns memorial for her country to acknowledge her tremendous voice.
I felt the emotion in the words the author, Pam Munoz used. For example: "When Marian sang, it was often with her eyes closed, as if finding the music within."
- Overall, great biography! ( )
  Nrlane | Nov 8, 2018 |
I really liked this book! When I first got this book, I wasn't sure of who Marian was, now I know who she was. Marian was a great singer. This book points out that even though there may be opsiltcles in your way in life, you can still overcome them no matter what. Marian had so much determination to become a great singer and to showcase her talents to the world. Such a great read. I would recommend this book for grades 2-6. ( )
  etranchant | Sep 15, 2018 |
This beautiful book is an account of the life of Marian Anderson. Born in 1897 and being recognized early for her talent, she went on to become one of the greatest singers of her lifetime. Persevering against racism and prejudice she achieved her dreams and became a symbol of hope for her people. I'd highly recommend it for the amazing illustrations and the story they tell. The use of song to convey emotion and the tone of the story beautiful.
  cyctorres | Jul 20, 2018 |

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439269679, Hardcover)

As this skilled duo did with Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Brian Selznick bring to life the story of yet another remarkable American woman, gifted black contralto Marian Anderson.

Undoubtedly one of America's greatest singers, Anderson was hardly known in her own country because of her race--music schools ignored her applications ("We don't take colored!") and even after she began singing professionally, many venues only featured white performers. Ryan's well-paced story becomes especially poignant as she recounts Anderson's overwhelming success in Europe ("one newspaper in Sweden called it 'Marian Fever' ... In Austria, the world-famous conductor Arturo Toscanini announced that what he had heard, one was privileged to hear only once in a hundred years"). The book reaches its climax with a wordless, deep brown two-page spread from Selznick, a crowd's-eye view of Anderson singing at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, an historic concert that drew an integrated audience of over 75,000.

Ryan's simple, metered text (punctuated frequently by lyrics) captures the quiet drama of Anderson's story, and kids will especially identify with the confusion and frustration of young Marian. And as with the pair's previous collaboration, Selznick's rich illustrations ably convey the undeniable strength and courage of a talented, determined woman. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

An introduction to the life of Marian Anderson, extraordinary singer and civil rights activist, who was the first African American to perform at the Metropolitan Opera, whose life and career encouraged social change.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,747,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible