When Marian Sang by Brian Selznick Pam Munoz…

When Marian Sang (edition 2003)

by Brian Selznick Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:NancyNoemi
Title:When Marian Sang
Authors:Brian Selznick Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2003), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:African American Literature

When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson by Pam Munoz Ryan

I enjoyed this book very much. This book is about Marian, the opera singer who happens to be African American in a time when these people weren't appreciated as much. The illustrations are breath-taking and captures your attention. I would read this book during Black History Month to help students learn more about African Americans who accomplished great things. ( )
  kdufrene | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was not one of my favorite books. I was hoping it would catch my interest more. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |
For me this moving tale is all the better because of the illustrations that Brian brings. As far as I am concerned he stole the show. From the very beginning of the book we are immersed in everything that comes along with theater.
Ryan did a great job in showing us through her words all of the amazing things that Marian had to endure in order to sing on the Lincoln Memorial. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 22, 2015 |
Beautiful book that chronicles the life and accomplishments of Marian Anderson. The illustrations and "song" included brought the book to life. Brian Selznick did an excellent job of capturing Marian's life. I also truly enjoyed the parallels between her European success vs. her song at the Lincoln Memorial. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 7, 2015 |
Biography of Marian Anderson. A young girl who started singing in her church during the hard years when the country was divided by a color barrier. And it is with this period she was able to overcome many obstacles and truly fined her craft reaching levels only talented white performers had achieved Marian is a character that needs to be discussed in a classroom to show .how determination and dedication cannot be stopped by oppression.
Great picture used to begin conversation about civil rights movement, gender, oppression, geography, music. ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Apr 1, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439269679, Hardcover)

As this skilled duo did with Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Brian Selznick bring to life the story of yet another remarkable American woman, gifted black contralto Marian Anderson.

Undoubtedly one of America's greatest singers, Anderson was hardly known in her own country because of her race--music schools ignored her applications ("We don't take colored!") and even after she began singing professionally, many venues only featured white performers. Ryan's well-paced story becomes especially poignant as she recounts Anderson's overwhelming success in Europe ("one newspaper in Sweden called it 'Marian Fever' ... In Austria, the world-famous conductor Arturo Toscanini announced that what he had heard, one was privileged to hear only once in a hundred years"). The book reaches its climax with a wordless, deep brown two-page spread from Selznick, a crowd's-eye view of Anderson singing at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, an historic concert that drew an integrated audience of over 75,000.

Ryan's simple, metered text (punctuated frequently by lyrics) captures the quiet drama of Anderson's story, and kids will especially identify with the confusion and frustration of young Marian. And as with the pair's previous collaboration, Selznick's rich illustrations ably convey the undeniable strength and courage of a talented, determined woman. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

An introduction to the life of Marian Anderson, extraordinary singer and civil rights activist, who was the first African American to perform at the Metropolitan Opera, whose life and career encouraged social change.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,791,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible