When Marian Sang by Brian Selznick Pam Munoz…

When Marian Sang (edition 2003)

by Brian Selznick Pam Munoz Ryan

Title:When Marian Sang
Authors:Brian Selznick Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2003), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:African American Literature

When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson by Pam Munoz Ryan

When Marian Sang tells the story of the singer Marian Anderson. We learn she was noticed as being an amazing singer at age 8 and performed regularly ever since. With support of her church, Marian took music lessons. Throughout the book and her experiences, she is faced with discrimination. When she travels to Europe, she experiences mixed audiences for the first time. When she returns to the US, she is once again told she can’t perform in white only venues. Now, famous, this draws the attention of many people including First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt. Eventually, Marian is asked to perform at the Lincoln Memorial and then the Opera House. This book is an inspiring account of Marian’s life and a history lesson in discrimination. The pictures are done in muted colors and seem to allude to a spiritual experience. ( )
  elmisner | Jul 22, 2015 |
Amazing biography of Marian Anderson. This book chronicles Marian from a young age in a gospel choir until she is finally living her dream and singing to the world. This book teaches so much more than perseverance, as it also teaches a lesson in civil rights.

Teaching Idea: couple with other civil rights books to teach a lesson on that subject, show videos to go along with book
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book very much. This book is about Marian, the opera singer who happens to be African American in a time when these people weren't appreciated as much. The illustrations are breath-taking and captures your attention. I would read this book during Black History Month to help students learn more about African Americans who accomplished great things. ( )
  kdufrene | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was not one of my favorite books. I was hoping it would catch my interest more. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |
For me this moving tale is all the better because of the illustrations that Brian brings. As far as I am concerned he stole the show. From the very beginning of the book we are immersed in everything that comes along with theater.
Ryan did a great job in showing us through her words all of the amazing things that Marian had to endure in order to sing on the Lincoln Memorial. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 22, 2015 |

Pam Munoz Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439269679, Hardcover)

As this skilled duo did with Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Brian Selznick bring to life the story of yet another remarkable American woman, gifted black contralto Marian Anderson.

Undoubtedly one of America's greatest singers, Anderson was hardly known in her own country because of her race--music schools ignored her applications ("We don't take colored!") and even after she began singing professionally, many venues only featured white performers. Ryan's well-paced story becomes especially poignant as she recounts Anderson's overwhelming success in Europe ("one newspaper in Sweden called it 'Marian Fever' ... In Austria, the world-famous conductor Arturo Toscanini announced that what he had heard, one was privileged to hear only once in a hundred years"). The book reaches its climax with a wordless, deep brown two-page spread from Selznick, a crowd's-eye view of Anderson singing at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, an historic concert that drew an integrated audience of over 75,000.

Ryan's simple, metered text (punctuated frequently by lyrics) captures the quiet drama of Anderson's story, and kids will especially identify with the confusion and frustration of young Marian. And as with the pair's previous collaboration, Selznick's rich illustrations ably convey the undeniable strength and courage of a talented, determined woman. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

An introduction to the life of Marian Anderson, extraordinary singer and civil rights activist, who was the first African American to perform at the Metropolitan Opera, whose life and career encouraged social change.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible