The grapes of wrath by John Steinbeck

The grapes of wrath (original 1939; edition 1976)

by John Steinbeck

21,85428961 (4.15)1 / 1000
Member:joehaf
Title:The grapes of wrath
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:London Heinemann 1976
Rating:*****

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (1939)

Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's the Grapes of Wrath by Rick Wartzman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Centers around the controversy that exploded in California's central valleys when The Grapes of wrath was published.
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell (tcarter)
    The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: The only 20th century American writer who rivals Steinbeck in economy and forcefulness of language.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Patangel)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (JudeyN)
    JudeyN: Set in a different time and place, but similar themes. Examines the different ways in which people respond to hardship and upheaval.
    Farming the Dust Bowl: A First-Hand Account from Kansas by Lawrence Svobida (nandadevi)
    nandadevi: Svobida´s book movingly describes the conditions in the Dust Bowl (he clung on for six years of crop failures) that the Joad´s left behind in their trek to California.
    The ragged trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell (tcarter)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (sturlington)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    Harpsong by Rilla Askew (GCPLreader)
    Whose Names Are Unknown by Sanora Babb (one-horse.library)
    The Bottom of the Sky by William C Pack (LoriMe)
    LoriMe: Mr. Steinbeck wrote a gritty family saga embedded in the early to mid part of the 20th Century. Mr. Pack wrote a gritty family saga embedded in the end of the 20th Century. The characters and stories moved me equally. Both are written beautifully.
    America's Great Depression by Murray N. Rothbard (sirparsifal)
    The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Theme of workers' rights
    Missing Soluch by Mahmoud Dowlatabadi (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Called the Iranian Grapes of Wrath.
    A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember by Iain Levison (Babou_wk)
    Babou_wk: Description de la vie d'un travailleur itinérant.
    American Exodus: The Dust Bowl Migration and Okie Culture in California by James N. Gregory (eromsted)

1930s (3)
Read (89)
Unread books (1,059)

English (268)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (288)
John Steinbeck's use of language allows You to experience the American tragedy of the "dust bowl". All of our national family, nature, and industry collide in a Shakespearean way. ( )
  scrl | Apr 7, 2015 |
My favorite book ever! ( )
  kremsa | Mar 27, 2015 |
Another of J. Steinbeck's Great Depression books. Set during the "Dust bowl" period of farming in U.S. history. Depicts one family's struggle to survive against overwhelming odds. The injustices, society's class system which render the family unable to catch a break. An inciteful and studied look at American society during the late 1930's.
  cm37107 | Mar 8, 2015 |
In the middle of an extremely dull semester of early American literature, The Grapes of Wrath was a gem that I wasn’t expecting to love as much as I did. I admittedly had somewhat high expectations of this novel because I have heard nothing but good things about this book. My grandfather and fellow classmates assured me that it was a good read, and my old roommate even went as far to say it is her favourite novel. Very promising indeed!
The story of the Joads and their move west during the Great Depression was a surprisingly captivating and, not surprisingly, depressing read. I felt for these characters more deeply than I had for the other characters explored in my class. I loved this family! Pa and Ma Joad, along with Tom, Rosasharn, Casy and co., all came across as such good and genuine people, and my heart couldn’t help but break while witnessing their hardships.
This is a novel studied in school for a reason – the symbolism is oozing from the pages, especially in the “inter-chapters” found throughout the novel. I enjoyed these inter-chapters way more than you would think one would enjoy seemingly boring descriptions of landscapes, people, and events. I just found them so well written and beautifully described! The metaphors you can find in these chapters moved me as well. There was one chapter in particular where the “owner men” were telling the “tenant men” that they had to leave and the banks were described as being monsters and not men. This depersonalization was also in another chapter when Steinbeck wrote about tractors farming the land as opposed to the men and horses. He talked about the men in tractors and how the land was not their home and the disconnectedness that was there. I know I’m rambling, but I could go on because all of the inter-chapters were fantastic!
The final scene in the book (one I will not spoil because I highly encourage you to read it and have it hit you like it hit me) was extremely eerie/moving/just POWERFUL. The degradation of these people is unbelievable and the fact that Steinbeck followed a white family and not a family of a different ethnicity just goes to show that this could happen to ANYONE. I didn’t feel any disconnect with this family whatsoever and could easily see myself as part of them. You know if I was a Southern kind of gal (which I’m not :P)
Overall this book was a deeply moving, enlightening and beautiful depiction of life during the Great Depression. It’s definitely one of those books I’m glad to have read, and even if you don’t need to read it for school, I highly recommend it and feel it’s a book that everyone should read at least once in their lifetime. ( )
  ceecee83 | Mar 5, 2015 |
Brilliant book, but the conclusion was a let down because it did not conclude anything... Steinbeck just stopped writing, I guess.

But the story itself was gripping and magnificently told. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Seventy years after The Grapes of Wrath was published, its themes – corporate greed, joblessness – are back with a vengeance. ... The peaks of one's adolescent reading can prove troughs in late middle age. Life moves on; not all books do. But 50 years later, The Grapes of Wrath seems as savage as ever, and richer for my greater awareness of what Steinbeck did with the Oklahoma dialect and with his characters.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Guardian, Melvyn Bragg (Nov 21, 2011)

It is Steinbeck's best novel, i.e., his toughest and tenderest, his roughest written and most mellifluous, his most realistic and, in its ending, his most melodramatic, his angriest and most idyllic. It is "great" in the way that Uncle Tom's Cabin was great—because it is inspired propaganda, half tract, half human-interest story, emotionalizing a great theme.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 17, 1939)

Steinbeck has written a novel from the depths of his heart with a sincerity seldom equaled. It may be an exaggeration, but it is the exaggeration of an honest and splendid writer.

Mr. Steinbeck's triumph is that he has created, out of a remarkable sympathy and understanding, characters whose full and complete actuality will withstand any scrutiny.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Apr 14, 1939)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

To CAROL who willed it.
To TOM who lived it.
To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth.
Now the going was easy, and all the legs worked, and the shell boosted along, waggling from side to side. A sedan driven by a forty-year-old woman approached. She saw the turtle and swung to the right, off the highway, the wheels screamed and a cloud of dust boiled up. Two wheels lifted for a moment and then settled. The car skidded back onto the road, and went on, but more slowly. The turtle had jerked into its shell, but now it hurried on, for the highway was burning hot.

And now a light truck approached, and as it came near, the driver saw the turtle and swerved to hit it. His front wheel struck the edge of the shell, flipped the turtle like a tiddly-wink, spun it like a coin, and rolled it off the highway. The truck went back to its course along the right side. Lying on its back, the turtle was tight in its shell for a long time. But at last its legs waved in the air, reaching for something to pull it over. Its front foot caught a piece of quartz and little by little the shell pulled over and flopped upright. The wild oat head fell out and three of the spearhead seeds stuck in the ground. And as the turtle crawled on down the embankment, its shell dragged dirt over the seeds. The turtle entered a dust road and jerked itself along, drawing a wavy shallow trench in the dust with its shell. The old humorous eyes looked ahead, and the horny beak opened a little. His yellow toe nails slipped a fraction in the dust.

[Penguin ed., pp. 15-16; Chapter 3]
"The cars of the migrant people crawled out of the side roads onto the great cross-country highway, and they took the migrant way to the West. … And because they were lonely and perplexed, because they had all come from a place of sadness and worry and defeat, and because they were all going to a mysterious new place … a strange thing happened: the twenty families became one family, the children were the children of all. The loss of home became one loss, and the golden time in the West was one dream."

A large drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone, and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone, and a torn cloud, like a bloody rag, hung over the spot of it's going.
"They breathe profits; they eat the interest on money. If they don't get it, they die the way you die without air, without side-meat."
"The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It's the monster. Men made it, but they can't control it."
Please do not combine John Steinbeck's original 1939 novel, The Grapes of Wrath, with any film treatment, critical edition, notes (Monarch, Barron's, Sparks, Cliff, etc.), screenplay, or other adaptations of the same title. Thank you.
This novel is the story of a family and their journey across the United States during the Dust Bowl era. It is a tale of hardship and struggle. It does not portray a pretty scene. As the family travels in hope of finding hidden wealth in California, they come across more and more broken people. They come to realize that California is not all they thought it would be. It is the struggle of their life and the reality of heartbreak.

This book was so sad to me. I thought it was written really well. Until this book I didn't so know so much care would be taken about the travels of a turtle through the dirt. But it made me face the hard reality of what happened in California during that time period and the brokenness of all the people. I don't like seeing that side of life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142000663, Paperback)

When The Grapes of Wrath was published in 1939, America, still recovering from the Great Depression, came face to face with itself in a startling, lyrical way. John Steinbeck gathered the country's recent shames and devastations--the Hoovervilles, the desperate, dirty children, the dissolution of kin, the oppressive labor conditions--in the Joad family. Then he set them down on a westward-running road, local dialect and all, for the world to acknowledge. For this marvel of observation and perception, he won the Pulitzer in 1940.

The prize must have come, at least in part, because alongside the poverty and dispossession, Steinbeck chronicled the Joads' refusal, even inability, to let go of their faltering but unmistakable hold on human dignity. Witnessing their degeneration from Oklahoma farmers to a diminished band of migrant workers is nothing short of crushing. The Joads lose family members to death and cowardice as they go, and are challenged by everything from weather to the authorities to the California locals themselves. As Tom Joad puts it: "They're a-workin' away at our spirits. They're a tryin' to make us cringe an' crawl like a whipped bitch. They tryin' to break us. Why, Jesus Christ, Ma, they comes a time when the on'y way a fella can keep his decency is by takin' a sock at a cop. They're workin' on our decency."

The point, though, is that decency remains intact, if somewhat battle-scarred, and this, as much as the depression and the plight of the "Okies," is a part of American history. When the California of their dreams proves to be less than edenic, Ma tells Tom: "You got to have patience. Why, Tom--us people will go on livin' when all them people is gone. Why, Tom, we're the people that live. They ain't gonna wipe us out. Why, we're the people--we go on." It's almost as if she's talking about the very novel she inhabits, for Steinbeck's characters, more than most literary creations, do go on. They continue, now as much as ever, to illuminate and humanize an era for generations of readers who, thankfully, have no experiential point of reference for understanding the depression. The book's final, haunting image of Rose of Sharon--Rosasharn, as they call her--the eldest Joad daughter, forcing the milk intended for her stillborn baby onto a starving stranger, is a lesson on the grandest scale. "'You got to,'" she says, simply. And so do we all. --Melanie Rehak

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

The Grapes of Wrath is a landmark of American literature. A portrait of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless, of one man's fierce reaction to injustice, and of one woman's stoical strength, the novel captures the horrors of the Great Depression and probes into the very nature of equality and justice in America. Although it follows the movement of thousands of men and women and the transformation of an entire nation, The Grapes of Wrath is also the story of one Oklahoma family, the Joads, who are driven off their homestead and forced to travel west to the promised land of California. Out of their trials and their repeated collisions against the hard realities of an America divided into Haves and Have-Nots evolves a drama that is intensely human yet majestic in its scale and moral vision, elemental yet plainspoken, tragic but ultimately stirring in its human dignity. First published in 1939, The Grapes of Wrath summed up its era in the way that Uncle Tom's Cabin summed up the years of slavery before the Civil War. Sensitive to fascist and communist criticism, Steinbeck insisted that: The Battle Hymn of the Republic be printed in its entirety in the first edition of the book-which takes its title from the first verse: He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored. At once a naturalistic epic, captivity narrative, road novel, and transcendental gospel, Steinbeck's fictional chronicle of the Dust Bowl migration of the 1930's is perhaps the most American of American Classics.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible