Rizzo's War by Lou Manfredo

Rizzo's War

by Lou Manfredo

I enjoyed this book and will read the next two in the series. Joe Rizzo is a street-wise cop in Brooklyn who is nearing the end of hios career. An Internal Affairs investigation is hanging over his head as he and his partner are assigned to a case involving the missing daughter of a Brooklyn politician. The case is fraught with peril for Joe and his partner as they search for the missing girl. ( )
  velopunk | Jan 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book for my partner, who enjoyed it. Gritty, realistic, and easy to read, it could have used a bit more polishing from the editorial team, but not poorly done.
  kgriffith | Jul 27, 2014 |
Got this as a freebie from Amazon. No need to summarize the plot, it's fairly standard: old cop under fire, young cop trying to play it straight, old cop becomes mentor, they bond.

The first half of the book really did not grab my attention. Manfredo defines the relationship between the two cops: Rizzo is in trouble with IAD for protecting his old partner, and McQueen was rapidly promoted to detective for saving the mayor's daughter from a rape, and creating the background for the recurring mantra: "There's no right. There's no right. It just is," a phrase you just knew would be the last line of the book. So far nothing special.

The book really picks up, however, in the second half. After the two are chosen to locate the unstable daughter of a city councilman who has disappeared, however, it really picks up and I finished the last 150 pages without going to the bathroom. No real surprises the councilman is dirty and has ulterior motives for wanting to get his daughter back, etc., but the story becomes more focused and adds some interesting characters. I won't add any spoilers, just a note that those who know their Alamo history may remember James Butler Bonham and what he did. Rizzo uses him as behavioral model.

According to a blurb on the back of my copy, Manfredo had some twenty-five years of experience in the criminal justice system. If this book reflects his experience with politics and police and the intersection of the two, it's a very dark view of the system.

Two stars for the first half, maybe 4 for the second half. Splt the difference. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rizzo's War contains some of my favorite attributes: a gritty setting; smart, likable, good, but flawed (like the rest of us) cops; and most of all - a mentoring relationship.

Unfortunately, I did become overwhelmed with numbers. Yes, the setting is NY and the street names are numbers, but did every single turn or destination have to include the street name? Ugh. And, I was annoyed with a repetitive line. Rizzo smokes, so almost every time he was in the car with his partner McQueen, he would blow the smoke out the passenger window. I got it - he smokes. He smokes a lot and tries to spare his partner the secondhand smoke. Grrr.

Putting the above aside, I really liked Manfredo's style. He allowed us into the heads and hearts of both Rizzo and McQueen while moving the story line along, so I feel like I know these two cops, and I really like them both. They have different personalities, mainly due to their experience level, but they blend and compliment one another nicely. Also, shining light on the ambiguity of the job and working a variety of cases added a very realistic feel.

I prefer a strong sense of suspense and a little humor every now and then to make a book an "excellent" read, but I'm very pleased with Manfredo's debut and look forward to my next encounter with these two detectives.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Jul 6, 2012 |
Joe Rizzo is a veteran NYPD detective who is partnered with ‘young gun’, Mike McQueen. Rizzo is to be the teacher and McQueen the wary, but willing student. Both Rizzo and McQueen have their reservations about trusting each other. Rizzo has been around enough to know there is a lot of grey area between the black and white that McQueen sees in his idealistic view.
They work several different types of crimes together from burglary to murder. Their ‘main’ case is the missing bipolar daughter of a city councilman. As they investigate, interesting things start turning up and they learn more about the father than they wanted to know. The way they are asked to investigate is somewhat suspect too, but the rewards could be quite high.
Rizzo has a savvy, somewhat jaded view, but that’s what makes him so knowledgeable about the ‘real’ way detective work goes. The stressors on both Rizzo and McQueen, and decisions both officers wind up having to make are amazingly real and will determine how their life and jobs proceed.
This is an interesting police ‘procedural’ book that is realistic. Very well written and intriguing throughout.

Reviewed by Ashley Wintters for Suspense Magazine ( )
  ashleywintters | Oct 12, 2011 |
What frustrates me more than an altogether awful book is a potentially good book done sloppily. That describes Lou Manfredo’s Rizzo’s War to a ‘T’ — it’s a novel that, while an earnest and ambitious novel at its core, has a hard time showing anything of import under the sagging and drooping mediocrity.

The more featureless and commonplace a crime is, the more difficult it is to bring home.

Sherlock Holmes, The Boscombe valley Mystery
To my wife, Joanne
The fear enveloped her, and yet, despite it, she found herself oddly detached, being from body, as she ran frantically from the stifling grip of the subway station out into the rainy, darkened street.

Rizzo’s War, Lou Manfredo’s stunningly authentic debut, partners a rookie detective with a seasoned veteran on his way to retirement in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.

“There’s no wrong, there’s no right, there just is.” This is the refrain of Joe Rizzo, a decades-long veteran of the NYPD, as he passes on the knowledge of his years of experience to his ambitious new partner, Mike McQueen, over a year of riding together as detectives in the Sixty-second Precinct in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. McQueen is fresh from the beat in Manhattan, and Bensonhurst might as well be China for how different it is. They work on several cases, some big, some small, but the lesson is always the same. Whether it’s a simple robbery or an attempted assault, Rizzo’s saying always seems to bear out.

When the two detectives are given the delicate task of finding and returning the runaway daughter of a city councilman, who may or may not be more interested in something his daughter has taken with her than in her safety, the situation is much more complex. By the end of Rizzo and McQueen’s year together, however, McQueen is not surprised to discover that even in those more complicated cases, Rizzo is still right—there’s no wrong, there’s no right, there just is.

Rizzo’s War is an introduction to a wonderful new voice in crime fiction in the Big Apple, ringing with authenticity, full of personality, and taut with the suspense of real, everyday life in the big city.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:26 -0400)

While NYPD veteran detective Joe Rizzo imparts his wisdom to his new rookie partner, Mike McQueen, they take on the case of a city councilman's runaway daughter, who may have evidence of her father's wrongdoing in her possession.

13 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Rizzo's War by Lou Manfredo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,262,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible