Maigret's First Case by Georges Simenon

Maigret's First Case (1953)

by Georges Simenon

Series: Maigret (57)

English (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (8)
Although our story takes place in 1913 in Paris, the book was first published in French in 1949, the 30th of 75 mysteries written by Georges Simenon featuring Jules Maigret. In 1913, Maigret was a secretary in the Surete, not out on the street solving crime. Until a flute player runs into the station house talking about a woman screaming for help.

Maigret accompanies the flautist to the home, that of a wealthy family, and barges in in the middle of the night. Under the watchful eye of the owner, Maigret searches the home, finding nothing. Turns out the homeowner is a friend of Maigret’s boss. Of course, Maigret’s boss isn’t too happy, but Maigret convinces him that it’s possible there’s a problem there. So the chief gives Maigret a leave and with a wink, wink, nod, nod, gives him tacit approval to pursue the case.

I have not read any of the Maigret mysteries before and I’m not sure I’ll read many. The problem for me is that I don’t know French. So, although the book is translated into English many of the proper names are not. Often I couldn’t figure out whether they were talking about a street, a café or a business. That’s something I don’t like – having the flow of my reading stopped for any reason.

I’ll stick to watching Maigret on DVD – the BBC series featuring Michael Gambon as Maigret. Now that’s a true pleasure! ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 23, 2016 |
As a lover of the French language, I found this enjoyable. As someone who likes to try to figure out mysteries, I was frustrated. Like in the other Maigret I read this year, information is often just handed to you on a plate, so one is deprived of the pleasure of trying to piece together clues and form theories about whodunit and why. It was fun, though, watching a young detective stumble through his first case and seeing hints of the investigator he would become. I do wish he (and the story) had been given a little more room to develop instead of having things come to a screeching halt, since he -- and you -- end up feeling cheated by the abrupt ending. ( )
  bostonian71 | Dec 31, 2015 |
I cannot remember the last time I read from the crime genre and have never really been a great fan of the whodunnit yarn. This slim book has persuaded me that I would like to read further stories or should I say, cases in which Monsieur Maigret is involved. It was a gentle read reflecting the days of old with a real flavour of la belle France. Maigret's character was written such that you warmed to him as the plot developed. I think I could get to like this Maigret character and would commend him. ( )
1 vote juliette07 | Oct 9, 2009 |
Police
  Budzul | May 31, 2008 |

Georges Simenonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cañameras, F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tlarig, M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A black railing divided the room in two.
Originally published in French as: La première enquête de Maigret, 1913 in 1948. Variously translated in English as:
(1) Maigret's First Case, translated by Robert Brain (1958) and;
(2) Maigret's First Case, translated by Ros Schwartz (2016).

Here is a new Maigret indeed - young, recently wedded, and fresh to his job. It was always known that he started as secretary to the superintendent in a local Paris police station. In this book Simenon, with his usual mastery of period and setting, tells how Maigret got his first chance, and allows us some touching glimpses of the newly-wed
Madame Maigret. In the social pattern of 1913 it was no easy task for a young country-bred policeman to penetrate the secrets of a wealthy and influential family. But trust Maigret to find friends in the local brasserie: this time it was the little flautist in the band who helped him in his inquiries. After a narrow shave at the hands of two deceptively jolly toughs, Maigret was in a position to unmask the crooks when he was checked from a totally unexpected direction. *As polished a Maigret as has appeared for a long time* - Daily Telegraph

For copyright reasons this edition is not for sale in the U.S.A. or Canada.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible