The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos…

The Last Temptation of Christ (original 1955; edition 1998)

by Nikos Kazantzakis (Author), P. A. Bien (Translator)

2,510303,554 (4.01)1 / 99
Member:Meredifay
Title:The Last Temptation of Christ
Authors:Nikos Kazantzakis (Author)
Other authors:P. A. Bien (Translator)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1998), Edition: Reprint, 506 pages

The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis (1955)

English (28)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
I read this after loving the movie, and really liked the book too.

What does the bible leave out or twist or misinterpret? What if Jesus did give up at the end and what if he did have doubts? How can we know, and how can anyone trust that any version of a story is the complete truth? ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
An amazing book! It makes no difference whether you believe in God or not. This book beautifully Jesus as a human being, full of doubts and hopes, facing challenges and prejudices. It deeply investigates the souls of the disciples and apostles, showing them in all their limitations, contradictions, cheap personal interests and hopes.
I dare saying that maybe Jesus is not even the strongest character of the book. I have loved Judas, the only one who is always looking for something higher throughout the book. Judas who is willing even to betray his master, when he commands him too, because he is longing for the kingdom of haven to come and free his land. Judas that, when needed, rises his fist against his master and calls him a traitor, bringing him back from his last temptation, and therefore saving the world.
I recommend this book to everyone who is interested in the depths of a human heart and mind ( )
  ferrarini_luca | Dec 6, 2016 |
This is the book to read if you want to really understand the Passion. By challenging traditional thinking, it leads to a deeper understanding of the meaning of the Passion. ( )
  M_Clark | Feb 28, 2016 |
Obviously, the novel re-tells the life of Christ. I doubt anyone doesn't remember the controversy that surrounded the movie, and apparently there was controversy at the book's publishing, too - to the extent that at his death, a Greek Archbishop wouldn't let his body 'lie in state' in his church. However, it's my impression that nothing in the book was intended to be blasphemous. The afterword makes the point that in his own life, Kazantzakis was much concerned with the struggle between earthly and spiritual matters, and he shows Christ as a man, divinely inspired, yet beset by doubts and fears, in order to, in his own words, "offer a supreme model to the man who struggles," and, through an understanding of that struggle, to "love Christ more."

Does it work, in that respect? Possibly not.
For one thing, I think when Kazantzakis says "man who struggles," that 'man' is not insignificant. Women are portrayed in this book largely as symbols - either of temptation, or of the 'earthly' way of life - hearth and children. It's said repeatedly that women do not yearn after eternity, they live in the moment; that their 'eternity' is here on earth. In order to achieve spiritual greatness, Jesus must reject women - not only as objects of lust or love, but as mother, family, and all earthly comfort.

Hmmph. Anything that portrays women as symbols rather than individuals is somewhat annoying to me.
And I've just never really bought into the idea that spiritual growth is attained by physical denial or renunciation.
So my personal problem with the ideas in the book starts there - but they're really issues I have with Chrisitanity in general, not with the book, specifically.

Interestingly, throughout the book, it's shown pretty frequently that people around Jesus seem pretty rational. Epileptic-type fits and Revelations-style 'visions' are seen as a sign of mental illness, as is his insistence on denying his mother. The wisdom of abandoning family, career and responsibilities to become an impoverished itinerant preacher is questioned - many characters state that the Way of God, or the right thing to do, is to marry and raise a family well.

I guess this weird conflict is still seen in Christianity today, when followers are encouraged to marry and have children, but priests and nuns are required to be celibate.

But the most unusual thing about this portrayal of Christ is his initial directionlessness. At first he is even unsure if his 'divine' inspiration comes from God or Satan. He is afraid to speak publicly. When he first becomes a public speaker, his message is all about love and pacifism. Later, after meeting John the Baptist, he becomes more revolutionary (but not without much inner conflict). And when he decides that becoming martyred is the right thing to do, it seems a sudden change of direction, not something that was in the plan all along.

Again, according to the afterword, this model for Jesus' personal development seems to mirror Kazantzakis', who changed tacks in his search for personal enlightenment many times in his life, exploring monasticism, Buddhism, Marxism and more during his life before writing this novel.

As a novel, it works pretty well. It's in translation (from demotic, or 'low' Greek), so it's hard to make judgements about the writing style. The 'flow' is sometimes made awkward, I felt, by the necessity of 'getting in' various parables or Biblical incidents, and there are occasional bits that I felt were probably historically inaccurate (would a peasant of Jesus' time have cursed 'Damn you to hell," for instance?) - but the characters of Jesus and his apostles were brought vividly and originally to life - his violent, zealous and brawny red-bearded Judas isn't someone I'll forget soon, nor is quiet, ink-stained Matthew, taking poetic liberties while writing down the life of Jesus (interesting stuff there, about the difference between literal truth and spiritual truth.)
Oh, and I won't be forgetting Lazarus-as-rotting-zombie, either!!! ohmy.gif

Overall, this is a book I'm glad I've read, even if I didn't agree with a lot of its message, and it certainly didn't change my spiritual views. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I read this before Scorsese made his movie. I think he did a good job but I like the novel better. ( )
1 vote joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Nikos Kazantzakisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bien, P. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bien, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bien, Peter A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kossin, SanfordCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A cool heavenly breeze took possession of him.

Hailed as a masterpiece by critics worldwide, "The Last Temptation of Christ" is a monumental reinterpretation of the Gospels by one of the giants of modern literature. Nikos Kazantzakis, renowned author of "Zorba the Greek, " brilliantly fleshes out the story of Christ's Passion, giving it a dynamic spiritual freshness. Kazantzakis's Jesus is gloriously divine, yet earthy and human, as he travels among peasants and is tempted by their comfortable life. Provocatively illuminating ever dimension of the Gospels, "The Last Temptation of Christ" is an exhilarating modern classic.

Now a major motion picture, The Last Temptation of Christ is a monumental fictional reinterpretation of the Gospels by one of the giants of modern literature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,847,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible