A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical…

A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical Guide to Living (Learning to… (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Luc Ferry (Author)

Series: Learning to Live (1)

An introduction to philosophy focuses on the questions of what it means to be human and how to react to the reality of death by exploring ancient Stoic, Christian, early modern, and contemporary approaches as well as the views of Nietzsche.
Member:YousefKhader
Title:A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical Guide to Living (Learning to Live)
Authors:Luc Ferry (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2011), Edition: Original, 304 pages
Tags:to-read

A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical Guide to Living (Learning to Live) by Luc Ferry (2010)

Recently added byjwadesok, NathanWeston, RogerReam, private library, Dionysian_Bunny, letocq, dslincoln

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
A good, accessible overview of Western Philosophy, covering the Stoics, Christians, Humanists, and Nietzsche. Due to its brevity, some things had to be left out or only lightly touched upon, such as Plato and Aristotle, Existentialism, Utilitarianism, and virtually all modern philosophers after Nietzsche. ( )
  bdn49er | May 1, 2020 |
Main sections:

The Greeks: Cynics, Stoics

Christianity: St. Paul, St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas

Humanism: Kant and Rousseau

Postmodernism: Nietzsche

Contemporary ( )
  br77rino | Jun 22, 2016 |
Illuminating on the ancient (and Biblical) connection of humanity with cosmos, and the modern disconnection. I've never seen the issue so clearly put before. Hannah Arendt may also deal with the alienation so humans are cosmic orphans disconnected. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
I found this to be a brilliant and life-changing book. It offers an idiosyncratic description of the history of Western philosophy, concentrating on the usefulness of philosophy as a comfort and guide to living. Christianity is treated as one of the major philosophical movements, which is an interesting collation.
1 vote KenFeser | Jul 9, 2013 |
Clearly written and translated broad entry into the world of Western philosophy. Not really all history. The last 10% or so is the author's thoughts of what happens next. Nevertheless, excellent for a beginner to get a feeling for the major epochs of thought from Ancient Greece to Christianity to humanism to deconstruction. If you have already read original texts in these areas (Plato, Kant, Nietzsche), then you probably don't need this. ( )
1 vote malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |

Luc Ferryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cuffe, TheoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Gabrielle, Louise and Clara
While chatting over supper on holiday, some friends asked me to improvise a philosophy course for adults and children alike.
Epictetus, for his part, admitted that he had never in his life met a single Stoic sage, if by this is meant someone who loved the world as it is, under all aspects, however atrocious, and who under all circumstances could refrain from either regret or hope. […I]s it not a sign that the theory falters, that amor fati is not merely impossible but on occasion obscene? If we must accept everything that occurs, as it is, in all its tragic sense or lack of sense, how can we avoid the accusation of complicity, even of collaboration with evil? […] Here, in my own opinion, is the strongest argument against the long tradition running from the most ancient practices of Oriental and Occidental wisdom to the most up-to-date philosophical materialism. What is the good of pretending to have finished with 'idealism', with all ideals and 'idols', if this proud philosophical programme of amor fati remains itself an ideal. (p. 194-195)
Not only am I unable to prevent myself from forming attachments, I have no wish to do so. Nor am I in the least ignorant as to the sufferings to come […] Therefore I must renounce the wisdom of Buddhism, as I renounce that of Stoicism – with respect and esteem, but also with a sense of unbridgeable difference. (p. 262)
First published under the title, "Learning to live" in Great Britain in 2010 by Canongate Books.

Contents: What is philosophy? -- "The Greek miracle" -- The victory of Christianity over Greek philosophy -- Humanism, or the birth of modern philosophy -- Postmodernity: the case of Nietzsche -- After deconstruction: contemporary philosophy.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,523,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible