The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

The Prophet (1923)

by Kahlil Gibran

English (96)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (101)
Introduction

--The Prophet ( )
  E.P.G | May 30, 2016 |
Meh.

Perhaps this didn't appeal to me because I've heard a lot of it before, either the original quotes or echoed by other similar authors.

Perhaps I'm just not in the mindset for this right now.

But what I really think I didn't like was the endless succession of contradictions/paradoxes : I must be far from you to see you clearly, blah blah blah. I get the wisdom in some of that. But here it is over-done, & feels forced more often than not.

Even if Kahlil Gibran was the first to espouse these lessons (& I'm not claiming he was - I only know he pre-dates the modern examples), I do believe others have done it better, & in a more captivating manner. I know he & this book are much beloved. But now I know why this hung out on my shelf unfinished for so long. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
  Jway | Apr 18, 2016 |
Truly artful writing. I loved it. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Hard to determine stars for this one. I loved the poetry. I found the format a bit stilted. Some wonderful thoughts to ponder. Much quoted. Now I'll go watch the movie.
  njcur | Mar 9, 2016 |

Kahlil Gibranprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McFarlane, RobertPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Almustafa, the chosen and the beloved, who was a drawn unto his own day, had waited twelve years in the city of Orphalese for his ship that was to return and bear him back to the isle of his birth.
You have been told that, even like a chain, you are as weak as your weakest link.
This is but half the truth. You are also as strong as your strongest link.
To measure you by your smallest deed is to reckon the power of the ocean by the frailty of its foam.
And ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of desperation.
When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him...
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
Library of Congress please note: this is NOT a work written in Arabic and translated into English. It is a work written in English by a Lebanese poet.

Kahlil Gibran, born in Lebanon, is well known throughout the Arab world as well as the West for his poetry, art and philosophy. The Prophet, one of Gibran’s most celebrated books, is his first published collection of poems and has been translated into more than twenty languages. This 2001 edition of his book includes 12 of Gibran’s own drawings.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394404289, Hardcover)

In a distant, timeless place, a mysterious prophet walks the sands. At the moment of his departure, he wishes to offer the people gifts but possesses nothing. The people gather round, each asks a question of the heart, and the man's wisdom is his gift. It is Gibran's gift to us, as well, for Gibran's prophet is rivaled in his wisdom only by the founders of the world's great religions. On the most basic topics--marriage, children, friendship, work, pleasure--his words have a power and lucidity that in another era would surely have provoked the description "divinely inspired." Free of dogma, free of power structures and metaphysics, consider these poetic, moving aphorisms a 20th-century supplement to all sacred traditions--as millions of other readers already have. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:25 -0400)

The Syrian author, a poet, mystic and painter, was born in Palestine but lived in America for over twenty years. Translated from the Arabic, these widely-read, often profound meditations upon life and people bear a resemblance to some parts of the Bible in both content and style.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140194479, 0141187018, 0141194677

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,004,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible