The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

The Prophet (1923)

by Kahlil Gibran

English (85)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (90)
Sometimes you read a book, sometimes a book reads you. ( )
  5hrdrive | Feb 21, 2015 |
I feel like this is one of those essential books that everyone should read at least once in their lives. And, while it took me longer than it probably should have, I've finally read it.

So much insight in Gibran's narrative, things that are timeless because they speak to the basics of human nature, which regardless of how much we "advance" as a society, will always remain true.

Freedom, Time, Beauty, Crime & Punishment, Beauty, Teaching, Speaking; all concepts that the Prophet touches upon. Just do yourself a favor and pick this one up, it's definitely worth the read.

This is one I'm going to keep close to me so I can reference it often. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Feb 5, 2015 |
Pretty quick read with some wise insights into human nature and our relationship with God. Some favorites:

"Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral."

On search for freedom:
"And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of seeking freedom becomes a harness to you, and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment."

On the mystery of death and afterlife:
"In the depths of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond;
And like seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring.
Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity." ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
My 9th grade English teacher loaned me his copy after my youngest Uncle's tragic death in hopes that it would help me cope with the grief of losing a loved one. He gifted me with my own copy at the end of that school year-- I still have that copy. It has been read and reread. The most valuable book in my collection, it has helped me thru many milestones in my life.

Truly recommend to anyone -- you can read select chapters or beginning to end. Transcends religions and takes you to the spiritual truth of life. ( )
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12438597 ( )
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Almustafa, the chosen and the beloved, who was a drawn unto his own day, had waited twelve years in the city of Orphalese for his ship that was to return and bear him back to the isle of his birth.
You have been told that, even like a chain, you are as weak as your weakest link.
This is but half the truth. You are also as strong as your strongest link.
To measure you by your smallest deed is to reckon the power of the ocean by the frailty of its foam.
And ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of desperation.
When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him...
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
Library of Congress please note: this is NOT a work written in Arabic and translated into English. It is a work written in English by a Lebanese poet.

Kahlil Gibran, born in Lebanon, is well known throughout the Arab world as well as the West for his poetry, art and philosophy. The Prophet, one of Gibran’s most celebrated books, is his first published collection of poems and has been translated into more than twenty languages. This 2001 edition of his book includes 12 of Gibran’s own drawings.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394404289, Hardcover)

In a distant, timeless place, a mysterious prophet walks the sands. At the moment of his departure, he wishes to offer the people gifts but possesses nothing. The people gather round, each asks a question of the heart, and the man's wisdom is his gift. It is Gibran's gift to us, as well, for Gibran's prophet is rivaled in his wisdom only by the founders of the world's great religions. On the most basic topics--marriage, children, friendship, work, pleasure--his words have a power and lucidity that in another era would surely have provoked the description "divinely inspired." Free of dogma, free of power structures and metaphysics, consider these poetic, moving aphorisms a 20th-century supplement to all sacred traditions--as millions of other readers already have. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:25 -0400)

The Syrian author, a poet, mystic and painter, was born in Palestine but lived in America for over twenty years. Translated from the Arabic, these widely-read, often profound meditations upon life and people bear a resemblance to some parts of the Bible in both content and style.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140194479, 0141187018, 0141194677

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,928,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible