Terrier by Tamora Pierce
2,479None2,461 (4.25)153
2007 (9) adventure (22) Beka Cooper (73) crime (20) ebook (9) fantasy (436) female protagonist (16) fiction (136) hardcover (10) heroine (18) kidnapping (11) magic (85) murder (17) mystery (42) novel (12) own (11) pierce (10) police (41) read (21) series (41) sff (25) Tamora Pierce (46) teen (29) to-read (22) Tortall (129) unread (17) YA (107) YA Fantasy (12) young adult (161) young adult fiction (16)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (blucatgirl)
    Silverhorse by Lene Kaaberbol (puddleshark)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (HildebrandFamily)
    HildebrandFamily: Both deal with kids growing up on the wrong side of the tracks, but over coming their upbringing to work for the law.
    Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett (notemily)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)

While I thought the start/frame of this was a little awkward, I got into it by the second chapter and stayed up too late zooming through it. On to the next installment. Wish there were more than just the three books. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Maybe someday I'll get back to this series (it's not like it's poorly written), but it was just not what I wanted to read at this time. I do think if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett's Night Watch series you might like these books, as there are several similarities (minus the ridiculous humor that I so admire from Pratchett).
  Cailiosa | Mar 4, 2014 |
Sixteen-year-old Beka Cooper has finally become a member the Provost’s Guard as a “Puppy” or first year trainee and she is eager to begin training to catch criminals in her home district in the city of Corus, but the Lower City is the poorest and most violent part of the city and she will have to use all her brains, training, and unique magic to survive. Having come from the Lower City, Beka is fiercely protective of its residents who are her neighbors and she quickly begins to unearth two distinct crimes preying on the poor of the Lower City. Beka’s tale is told in the form of a diary and the format works quite smoothly. Tamora Pierce is known for her strong female characters and Beka does not disappoint. She is an engaging, intelligent, and spirited heroine dedicated to her chosen profession. Terrier is the first book in a trilogy and is set in Pierce’s fantasy realm of Tortall. Both Tamora Pierce fans and those new to her will enjoy Beka and her story. Tamora Pierce is the winner of the 2013 Margaret A. Edwards Award, which is awarded to an author for a significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature. ( )
  robincar | Oct 20, 2013 |
added by lquilter | editSchool Library Journal

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tim

This one's all yours. It's time. And you deserve this and more, for putting all that effort into us.
Written on the morning of my first day of duty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375838163, Paperback)

Tamora Pierce has been creating strong, appealing heroines for teen fantasy fans for years, creating 2 main universes to house her multiple series. With Terrier, Pierce returns to the Tortall universe (home to her Song of the Lioness, Immortals, Protector of the Small, and Daughter of the Lioness series). Want to learn more? Read an exclusive essay from Tamora Pierce below. --Daphne Durham

An Essay from Tamora Pierce

Sixteen-year-old Beka Cooper lives far removed from knights, palaces, and the nobility. Her world revolves around thieves, beggars, taverns, and the lowest of the low. She's a trainee for the Provost's Guard—a rookie cop, in a world where a cop makes her own name based on her personality, her attitude toward money, and her love of the law. Beka means to prove that she is out to make her mark in this hard and physical world.

She does face a large obstacle. She's shy. Painfully shy. Left to her own devices, she would have no friends. It's hard for her to talk to people she doesn't know. It's a problem for the Guards who train her, a real problem for Beka—unless she can figure out that a uniform is a kind of costume, one she can hide behind. One that will make her a more outspoken person. It will help a lot if people come to realize that under her shyness is a clever, determined young woman. It will help even more if she can make friends who can give her good advice. Luckily, she has one such friend living with her in her slum apartment: a purple-eyed black cat named Pounce. He can make himself understood in human speech if he wishes to. He's capable of doing weirdly intelligent things to help his young companion Beka. With Pounce to assist her, Beka cannot have an ordinary career.

Beka tells her own story in a journal that she keeps from her very first day as a Puppy. The Guards are dubbed "Dogs" in her time and their trainees are called "Puppies." In its pages she writes of her days with her training Dogs, the pair who are to teach her what they know of survival on the streets in the city's toughest slum. Both are veterans. Tunstall is an easygoing, funny man who can be a little crazy in a fight. Goodwin is a small, tough woman who is opposed to Beka's presence at the beginning, a hard Dog and a smart one. They take charge when Beka brings them word of two vicious sets of crimes. Like everyone else in Beka's life, her partners find out that once Beka gets a case in her teeth, she hangs onto it like a terrier until it's been solved.

I have all kinds of reasons why I went to the past of the Alanna books. In part I wanted to show how present-day Tortall came to be. I also knew George's fans would welcome any kind of return to the Lower City, even if it wasn't the Lower City of his time. I wanted to get away from the courts and nobility, the setting for so many of the Tortall books thus far. Since I didn't want to show any of the characters I've come to love as being old or even dead, I couldn't write books in the future of the current Tortall. I turned to the past, and I'm pretty sure my readers will be glad I did! --Tamora Pierce

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:51 -0400)

When sixteen-year-old Beka becomes "Puppy" to a pair of "Dogs," as the Provost's Guards are called, she uses her police training, natural abilities, and a touch of magic to help them solve the case of a murdered baby in Tortall's Lower City.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible