Cold As Ice by Anne Stuart

Series: Ice (2)

Cold as Ice
4 Stars

Synopsis
All Genevieve Spenser wants is to deliver some legal papers to billionaire Harry Van Dorn. Little does she know that the seemingly affable Harry is a sadistic predator with his sights set on her. But, Peter Jensen, Van Dorn's unassuming personal assistant, is well aware of his boss's twisted proclivities and as a secret agent sent to stop him by any means, Peter will need to decide whether Genevieve is expendable.

Review
It takes time to warm up to Peter and Genevieve. However, once their romance gets going, it is definitely worth the wait and it is more emotionally engaging that Bastien and Chloe in Black Ice. However, as in the first book, it remains unclear what these secret agents see in their rather nondescript heroines.

Peter is known as the Iceman and one of the highlights of the book is seeing his cold demeanor melt in the sexiest of ways. Genevieve is feisty and mouthy is just the right dose but she does have several TSTL moments.

The writing flows smoothly and while the plot is nothing really special suspense-wise, it does have some exciting action scenes and a really sweet ending.

The plot of the previous book ended quite abruptly so it was an added bonus to have it summed up nicely in this one. Moreover, the hero of the next book is introduced and will be interesting to see what happens to him next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Reviews of the "Ice" series were always glowing, and now I know why. The entire series was one big roller coaster ride from beginning to end. This book continues the series with a bang, action, excitement, romance, and danger. A truly fun read. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
This is the 2nd book in the Ice series by Anne Stuart. I had never read one of her books until this series and I have to say I am hooked. For those that are uncomfortable with violence, I will warn you that this a lot of violence and the #1 thing said over and over again is "I will kill you". At times I got a little tired of hearing that but the men in these series are very dangerous men who work for The Committee.

In this story, Genevieve Spenser works for a law firm and they ask her to meet a client Harry Van Dorn on his yacht to have him sign some papers. Genevieve is on her way to Costa Rica for vacation and does not want to be on this yacht. Harry is gorgeous and charming on the surface but Genevieve is not having any of what he is trying to sell her, she wants the papers signed and leave immediately for Costa Rica. Unfortunately for Genevieve she is in the wrong place at the wrong time as Peter Jensen who works for The Committee is under orders to get rid of Harry Van Dorn before he does some major damage in the world. I liked Peter right away and thought he was more approachable than Bastien from Book 1. He also uses the "I will kill" comment a lot just like Bastien in Book 1 so I think that is the theme in this series.

The story moves along quickly and I was sorry when I got to the end. Anne Stuart takes you on an emotional journey as the heroine is always in danger, there is violence, the hero is questionable at all times on whether he is the bad guy or the good guy. After I finish this series, I am going to check her website to see what else she has written. I can't believe I haven't read her before. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Jun 19, 2016 |
Genevieve Spencer was on her way to Costa Rica for a much needed vacation when her law firm sends her to get legal papers signed by their very wealthy client, Harry Van Dorn. Knowing she can't refuse, Genevieve reluctantly agrees to be taken out to the client's yacht, hoping that she can leave within a few hours.

Peter Jensen is on a mission to bring down Harry Van Dorn before he can bring chaos to the world with the seven tragedies he has planned. When Genevieve comes aboard unexpectedly, Peter wants nothing more than to get her off the yacht. When he is unable to get rid of her, Peter reluctantly accepts that he will have to kill her. Though he is used to having collateral damage during his missions, he is confused by his reluctance when it comes to Genevieve.

The plot is well-paced, and I liked the twists and turns; each shift in the villain's dastardly plans ends up making emotional demands on Peter and Genevieve in a way that propells their relationship forward. I could have wished that the novel were longer, took place over a greater period of time, so that their relationship could develop into something more solid, but I believed the connection between the two.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This one is another reader-gripper. I must say I was afraid it won't live up to the first book, but I had nothing to fear. It's definitely different in terms of characters, but it still has that kind of the same feeling of "how is this romantic?" to it.

So, Peter Jensen. I was super excited when I realized it's his story because I wanted to know more about him after reading Black Ice. While I thought Bastien was a crazy sociopath that has nothing redeeming about him, Peter wasn't so bad! Yes, he's cold, calculated, manipulative (ah, lovely traits!) but he's also much more human. He cared! I think. It didn't seems so at first.
He and Bastien (I can't help but compare) are essentially the same, efficient, heartless and cold - but so different. What I liked about him is that when you meet him in Black Ice, you get this idea of him - and he's exactly that in this book. Ruthless, doesn't let anything get in his way and gets the job done. There's this awesome paragraph when he talks about himself (Bastien did it too, but it wasn't as effective.)
He'd been trained, groomed, educated and made over. He was a crack shot, and almost as effective with a dozen other weapons. He could speak five languages fluently, he could be straight, gay, American, Scandinavian, British or German. He could kill without compunction and live under deep cover for years until it was time to strike.
I loved that.
But in the end he's a good person. This was such a relief because I thought I wouldn't have to question my sanity while reading the book. WRONG. But more about that later.

Genevieve couldn't be more different than Chloe. She's annoying in that cute way, very intelligent, keeps her wits about her at all times, and her only fault in that given situation was that she believes that human beings are ultimately good. I loved how she never gives up, even when it seemed like there was no way out, she picked herself up, squared her shoulders and kept looking for it.

These two were hilarious together. Great chemistry. I loved the little upper hand game they were playing, she's very smart, and it would probably be enough with a normal guy to outsmart him, but he's always one step ahead of her and it amused me to no end. There were much more romantic elements in this, but at times I still thought it's completely ridiculous, especially in the beginning. I was still rooting for them. Call me crazy. Whatever.

The writing is still what had me loving this so much. Suspense, thrill, it was great. What I didn't like was the two extra POV characters, and I was fighting myself wanting to skim them, but luckily their parts were short and to the point, so I didn't have to.

The two (or three?) sex scenes in this were much more graphic than in the first book. Just a heads-up.

Bastien shows up somewhere in the end! I was super giddy about it, fighting a silly grin and all, and yes, there goes my sanity. I hated the guy. I shouldn't have been so happy to see him again. SMH.

Now, onto the third book. A friend tells me it's her favorite, so I'm expecting it to be good. This lived up to the first book, but I still liked that one more. Overall, loving this series. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
This is for all the people, friends, and family, who left me blessedly alone to write this, gave me space and freedom from demands. And for those of you who didn't--well, you know who you are.
Genevieve Spenser adjusted her four-hundred dollar sunglasses, smoothed her sleek, perfect chignon and stepped aboard the powerboat beneath the bright Caribbean sun.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778323560, Mass Market Paperback)

Never get in the way of a mission

The job was supposed to be dead easy -- hand-deliver some legal papers to billionaire philanthropist Harry Van Dorn's extravagant yacht, get his signature and be done. But Manhattan lawyer Genevieve Spenser soon realizes she's in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that the publicly benevolent playboy has a sick, vicious side. As he tries to make her his plaything for the evening, eager to use and abuse her until he discards her with the rest of his victims, Genevieve must keep her wits if she intends to survive the night.

But there's someone else on the ship who knows the true depths of Van Dorn's evil. Peter Jensen is far more than the unassuming personal assistant he pretends to be -- he's a secret operative who will stop at nothing to ensure Harry's deadly Rule of Seven terror campaign dies with him. But Genevieve's presence has thrown a wrench into his plans, and now he must decide whether to risk his mission to keep her alive, or allow her to become collateral damage . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:56 -0400)

Peter Jensen, an undercover operative posing as billionaire philanthropist Harry Van Dorn's personal assistant, must choose between endangering his mission or saving the life of a beautiful lawyer who has become trapped in Van Dorn's sick game called the Rule of Seven.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,817,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible