The Crisis by David Poyer

The Crisis

by David Poyer

In my last review of Poyer's Dan Lenson I had hoped that we would see Lenson get a more meaty role, and this book certainly gives the stage for it. But then Lenson disappears and we become more concerned with countless other parts of the navy that are in theater, then with Lenson himself.

There have been some other tales where Lenson's role in the drama presented here could play well, and certainly a stepping stone for further advancement. But Poyer takes a crisis that certainly evolves over a long period of time and not only takes away the calendar so we can't see how long our hero is tied to the mission, but can't judge how off camera events should be taking to unfold.

The tale, larger than Lenson and the usual events he has to deal with, is dramatic and engaging. That Poyer creates a fictitious nation and starts our Hero with an interaction with it shows that the series could easily move to having our US Navy in the Poyer/Lenson universe have other tales advancing the career of Lenson and giving us meatier engagements.

Why not Admiral Lenson bringing together the many elements of a Task Force? This is the evolution of the tales and we should see more about it. 70% of the earth is covered by water, and most of the goods we need from Oil to soybeans is transported on it.

For this tale I have mentioned that it is dramatic, that the elements covered are fully believable, even more so than in the last book, The Weapon. But Time Scale, and the fact that Lenson still hasn't advanced to be a player at the table, but one who can make a statement to a 4 star, and be heard, then ignored by many levels below that a few chapters later, sends mixed signals. It is time for Captain Lenson and the Commodore Lenson. ( )
  DWWilkin | May 7, 2012 |
I had never heard of this author till my brother indicated this was a great book. So I read it--it is about the 28th book Poyer has had published. The story is laid in a fictional African country bordering the Red Sea, which is much like Somalia, with fanatic Moslems eager to destroy the U.S. which is trying to keep the people from starving. Dan Lenson's part in the book is minor, There is excessive verbal obscenity, apparently to make those who like such want to read the book--I can't imagine any other reason for it. The author has the bad habit of ending a chapter with an exciting event and then the next chapter is about something else. It is exciting at times and easy to read when the excitment grips one. But on analysis some of the events are pretty incredible. And the events are too similar to present day events in that area of the world to be pleasant reading. ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 8, 2011 |

Naval Commander Dan Lenson and his Tactical Analysis Group specialize in out of the box military assign ments. Comprising sailors, Navy SEALS, and civilians, the group investigates and defuses naval threats around the world.
Dan and his team are assigned to “transform” a patrol craft squadron in the Red Sea into a leaner, meaner Navy. Mean - while, in northern Africa, drought and famine have brought a nation to the brink of civil war. When the United States decides on intervention to stabilize the region, Dan and his team become the point people for the humanitarian mission. When a charismatic young jihadist coordinates a ferocious insur gency against the U.S. presence, Dan and his team must kill him in order to save thousands of lives.
With exciting action, espionage, and exotic locales, The Crisis asks bigger questions about our obligations to relieve the suffering of other countries, the risk of American lives to rescue foreigners, and the role of democratic government in nations with no central leadership.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Assigned to improve an undisciplined patrol craft squadron in the Red Sea, Naval Commander Dan Lenson and his Tactical Analysis Group find themselves on a humanitarian mission in famine-stricken northern Africa, where a young jihadist coordinates a violent insurgency.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,374,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible