A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor

A Christmas Blizzard (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Garrison Keillor

Member:VictoriaPL
Title:A Christmas Blizzard
Authors:Garrison Keillor
Info:Viking Adult (2009), Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:
Tags:don't own, audiobook, 12 in 12, read 2012

A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor (2009)

Maybe it's because I've never read Keillor's work. Maybe it's because I haven't exactly had a good Christmas season this year. Maybe it's because I just wasn't in the mood. Or maybe, just maybe, this book was just a wee bit boring. And confusing. And weird in a way I just couldn't get down with.
Was it real? Was it a hallucination? Was it just a waste of time?
I just could not get through this book.

Let me explain it this way: the book is short - 100 or so pages - and it took me over a week to read it. That's bad. I'd read a little bit and clean the house. Read a little more and make cookies. Read a little more and do anything but read another paragraph. It just didn't hold my attention at all.

Sorry Garrison, I don't think we'll be meeting again anytime soon. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This quirky little tale will undoubtedly appeal to some people while it may annoy others. Not your standard Keillor offering and not a retelling of Dickens’ tale, it has a charm all its own. Stranded in a cold, northern state when he wanted to be in Hawaii, our protagonist is visited by people from the past – his own as well historical figures. What is really happening is best left to the reader’s imagination. To reap the most from this story, you should listen to the audio version, read by the author and enhanced by delightful background music. ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 7, 2016 |
James Sparrow is a self-made millionaire, the president of a high-energy drink company that has energized millions of sleepy people. The formula for the drink was not James' own creation; he literally stumbled upon the drunken scientist who offered to sell the idea to James for a mere pittance. Although James enjoys the wealth he has accumulated over the years he still has doubts about his value as a businessman. As Christmas approaches, James wants to spend the holiday in Hawaii with his wife instead of the snowy cold of Chicago. Mrs. Sparrow, a bit under the weather, encourages James to fly to Hawaii and she will join him later. Boarding his private jet, James receives a phone call that his uncle Earl is on his deathbed and would like to see James one last time. Hoping for a short side trip to his boyhood hometown of Loose Leaf, North Dakota, James instructs his pilot to divert from the Hawaii flight for a few hours.

Loose Leaf is in the midst of a howling blizzard and James quickly realizes that he will not be heading to Hawaii any time soon. James has many relatives still in town but they are a quirky bunch and he chooses to hunker down in an old fishing shack on the lake. When a power outage hits the area James is visited by people from his past, both living and dead, who help him see that he has been living an empty life. (Dickens, anyone?) Can James change his outlook on Christmas and life in general and become the man he was meant to be?

I sure wanted to like this story a whole lot more than I did. I listened to it on audio, read by Keillor whose voice, though pleasant, is slow paced and can nearly lull you to sleep. The characters in this tale are just too strange to be believable so in the end you really don't care what happens to James. Pass this one by.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
What could have been a touching and funny Christmas reclamation story takes a bizarre, unexplained turn toward the end that undoes the whole experience. ( )
  bookappeal | Dec 24, 2015 |
Because I like The Prairie Home Companion, I thought I would appreciate this story by Keillor. I was wrong.

I was a long drawn out process to slog through a book wherein the author tried way too hard to be funny and cute. The writing was cumbersome, difficult and trite.

The book belongs buried in a huge pile of Christmas blizzard snow.

Not recommended.
  Whisper1 | Nov 24, 2014 |

A short comic novel about a Hawaii-bound holiday traveler who ends up stranded in his North Dakota hometown during a blizzard.A wealthy and depressed man (thanks to the economy he-s not quite rich enough to expand his cache of paintings by Vincent Van Guy, the famed Dutch realist) bound for Christmas in the tropics is abruptly summoned home to North Dakota to visit an ailing aunt. He arrives just in time to be trapped there by a blizzard. The electricity goes out, and when it does, figures from his childhood appear, and historical figures too, for a festive candlelit holiday. In his reverie, our man reaches an epiphany worthy of the season-he hears the harkening angels sing, he is awed by the silence of the night (dead quiet: not even TV) and when he is finally rescued, leaves North Dakota resolved to simplify his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:28 -0400)

A wealthy and depressed Chicago man, bound for Christmas in Hawaii, is abruptly summoned home to North Dakota. He arrives just in time to be trapped there by a blizzard. During his stay, he reaches an epiphany worthy of the season and resolves to simplify his life.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,377,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible