Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre (edition 2009)

by Amanda Grange

Member:LeeAnn725
Title:Mr. Darcy, Vampyre
Authors:Amanda Grange
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2009), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 320 pages

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

This could have been good. The concept and cover looked too good to pass up, but the first 2/3 of the story I wanted to see more of Darcy's vampire side, something darker along the lines of the Brontes or Radcliffe. Alas, much was left to be desired.
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |
The love between Elizabeth and Darcy is gag-worthy. Elizabeth is surprisingly mushy - I had always thought she was made of sterner stuff, but love appears to have weakened her. All she seemed to do was fret over Darcy and his possible lack of love for her. All this overflowing love and fretting made Elizabeth so brain dead that it didn't even occur to her that getting back to England from France on her own would be really difficult, even with the prince's help. I'm not sure how she expected to accomplish it.

One thing that was really annoying was that it wasn't until more than two thirds of the way through the book that Elizabeth learned the truth about Darcy. Up to that point, readers could read bits and KNOW that they were meeting vampyres, but Elizabeth was clueless. Really, there's not a lot going on most of the time - just lots of chatting, parties, etc. and longing, tortured gazes from Darcy to Elizabeth. It just was not enough to grab me, and the vampire stuff was too little, too late. Really too little, too late, because if you think Stephenie Meyer's sparkling vampires are lame, you won't find Darcy all that much more impressive.

This was like Pride and Prejudice with a thin veneer of messy Anne Rice (good God, every vampyre has their own special little weakness, and Darcy's was just so...stupid), as seen through rose-colored glasses that made their love all sparkly sunshine. Gag. The rose colored sparklies must have overflowed onto Elizabeth's maid, Annie, because she was you've-got-to-be-kidding-me loyal. Near the end, Elizabeth told Annie that if she and Darcy and the rest didn't come back from attempting to get Darcy cured, then she could take all the remaining money they had with them and go back to England. Massive temptation, right there, to just take all that money and run. But no, Annie is a good and loyal servant.

Anyway, I really, really wish that the author had written more from Darcy's perspective. Actually, I don't think she wrote anything at all from Darcy's perspective. Maybe, after writing Darcy's diary (Grange has a book called Mr. Darcy's Diary), she just didn't want to any more, but it would've helped make him sexier and it would maybe have made Elizabeth seem less pathetic by taking some of the attention away from her fretting and lovesickness. It would've been nice to confirm that Darcy liked Elizabeth for more than her beauty, which is what he mentioned every time he spoke of his love for her. Shouldn't there have been something about her mind? Her wit? Well, since Elizabeth seems to have lost all the qualities that I remembered liking about her in the original book, maybe all that's left for Darcy to love is her beauty (those who've read the original more recently: was there much of a fuss made about Elizabeth's beauty, because I'm drawing a blank on all of that).

Overall, not as good as I had hoped.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
RATING: 1.5 stars for joining two of my favorite topics: Pride and Prejudice and vampires 0.5 stars for the cool cover. Oh and 0 stars for story.

As any good Pride and Prejudice sequel, "Mr Darcy, Vampyre" opens with the Bingleys and Darcys joint marriage. After the happy event, the newlyweds go on their wedding tour. Elizabeth thought she and Darcy would go tour the Lakes... but, boy, was she wrong! Without any explanation, Darcy decided to take her to Europe. And Elizabeth, being as OOC as she is in this book, just goes along for the ride!

Seriously could anyone have written such a bland book with such interesting topics? I thought it would not be possible! But it is! Darcy is barely present, Elizabeth is... well, NOT Elizabeth, there are tons of one-dimensional characters thrown into the mix and the tematic of the vampire is not well explored at all!! Although it is a quick read and the writing style is pleasant, nothing much happens! There is no suspense, no horror, no thrilling moments and berely any story! ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Robin McKinley loved Buffy and wrote Sunshine; I speculate that Amanda Grange loves Edward and wrote this. She did a better job with Mr. Darcy's Diary.

Darcy's being a vampire means a lot of the family connections, such as to the Fitzwilliams on one side and to Sir Lewis de Bourgh on the other, and such as mortal Wickham's being able to remember the late Mr. Darcy, don't work. I don't expect faux Austens to be faithful to the text: most make errors like screwing up the order of the Bennet sisters' birth or not understanding why Darcy's given name is Fitzwilliam, so that's as usual. But Grange couldn't even get vampires right. Darcy eats, casts reflections, and can go abroad in daylight without bursting into flame or dust. He doesn't go all sparkly, but he's no vampire.

There's a cavern just like in damned Half-Blood Prince (and, sadly, as in Over Sea, Under Stone), so in addition to Meyers' half-blooded vampires, it read to me as if Grange drew from Rowling's bloodless prose too. I assume she watched Buffy too, since the Ancient One is pretty much the Master.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
Well, "read" might be too strong a word. I skimmed it. It was fun for half an hour.
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
However, Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is more than just the simple addition of vampire lore to P&P; instead, Amanda Grange has crafted a clever homage to the Gothic novels that Jane Austen so enjoyed. As in all of Ms. Grange’s Austen-inspired novels, she has clearly done her homework, and Mr. Darcy, Vampyre most strongly echoes Ann Radcliffe’s tales of psychological horror, incorporating all the elements that knowledgeable fans of the Gothic expect: a trip through the roughest and most picturesque parts of the Continent; loving descriptions of the scenery (though fortunately, unlike Radcliffe, they don’t go on for page after tiresome page, and there is no doggerel poetry further slowing things down); mysterious castles with oddly-behaving servants; banditti, mercenaries, and fearful, violent villagers; an accident that, Elizabeth is told, portends death; a story of another young lady just like Lizzy who arrived under similar circumstances and met a bad end; and there even is a “black veil” moment, when our heroine sees something so horrid she has no choice but to swoon. The reader is not immediately enlightened to the horror, though we can guess it; and, again fortunately unlike Radcliffe, Ms. Grange does not keep us hanging until the end of the book and then come up with a lame afterthought to close the loop. We also felt echoes of Dracula, Polidori’s seminal story “The Vampyre,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight, and even a smidgen of Harry Potter.
added by AustenBlog | editAustenBlog, Mags (Aug 10, 2009)

This book is dedicated to Catherine Morland
My dearest Jane,
My hand is trembling as I write this letter.

An amusing addition to the Austen canon! Amanda Grange has picked up the story where Austen let off - here, on the day that Lizzie weds Mr Darcy, the dear reader learns that not only is Darcy a vampyre, but also, if he consummates his marriage, poor Lizzie is destined to join him as a bloodsucker!! So as they honeymoon in Europe, poor Lizzie wonders why Darcy keeps is distance....

Presents a paranormal sequel to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice."

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,818,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible