Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre (edition 2009)

by Amanda Grange

Member:LeeAnn725
Title:Mr. Darcy, Vampyre
Authors:Amanda Grange
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2009), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 320 pages

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

Thank god I'm finally done with this thing. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book was absolutely horrible! The only reason it got one star was because it was based on a work by Jane Austen. Poor Lizzie! Such a strong female character in the original book turned into such a blithering idiot. The book was so bad that I couldn't put it down. I had to follow the train wreck through; I couldn't make myself look away. This is one book I would recommend people do not read! ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
This just tickled my fancy. A good, quick read. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
This book has the most audacious title I have seen in years. In just two words, it conveys everything a reader may expect within. No mystery here: before even turning a page we know that this will be the most shameless attempt to cash in on the successes of [b:Pride and Prejudice|1885|Pride and Prejudice|Jane Austen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1158963071s/1885.jpg|3060926] and [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DcKN0STkL._SL75_.jpg|3212258] yet. Yes! Let us dive into the depths of our id! Let us wallow in our love of costume dramas and supernatural romance! Let us splash around in the shallowest end of the literary pool!

Alas. This book is not so bad that it's good. It's just bad. Elizabeth is transformed into a paper-cut-out: her inner monologue has as much snap as a limp noodle. Mr.Darcy's dialog is limited to periodic pronouncements on Elizabeth's beauty or the doomed quality of their marriage. There is absolutely no irony in this book. (How does someone even ATTEMPT an Austen rip-off without including sarcasm?) The vampires--er, "vampyres", are utterly without menace. There's little dialog, no characters worth remembering, and no plot until nearly 300 pages in. Eventually (SPOILERS), Elizabeth cures Mr.Darcy of his vampyrism through the power of her lurve. And...that's it. That's the entire book.

I will never get that hour of my life back. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
From the very day of her wedding to Darcy, Elizabeth suspects something is wrong. As the two travel across Europe meeting Darcy’s mysterious friends and family, staying in dark castles and fleeing from angry mobs, Elizabeth struggles with her new surroundings. Darcy is cold and unloving and Elizabeth must find out what caused his sudden change in demeanor.

I’ll come right out and say it – this book was BORING. I was expecting it to be 100% cheesy and hopefully entertaining (you know…bad in a good way?) and instead it was snorefest. I’m glad it wasn’t an incredibly long book – it took so little time to read it that at least I don’t feel like I wasted too much of my time.

Of course, from the title, readers will infer that Darcy is a vampire – oh, sorry, vampyre – and our dear Elizabeth is the only one who seems to be unaware of this fact. Darcy suddenly changes their honeymoon from a tour of the Lake District to a tour of Paris, Austria (I think? Or maybe it was the Swiss Alps…) and Venice so Elizabeth can meet a hoard of family and friends she’s never heard of. The vampiric – oh, sorry, vampyryc – undertones in the character’s behavior are obvious, and you know the reveal is coming, yet the other shoe doesn’t drop until about two thirds of the way through the book.

The majority of the book is details Darcy and Elizabeth traveling, “making arrangements” to travel more, unpacking/making themselves comfortable at various inns, meeting with cardboard cutouts of “eccentric” European gentry (read: obviously vampi—vampyres), and bland conversations between Elizabeth and Darcy, wherein Elizabeth doesn’t ask the right questions about what’s wrong with their marriage.

Elizabeth spends most of her time convincing herself that Darcy doesn’t love her because their marriage remains unconsummated. But rather than be her usual outspoken self, she spends all her time silently fretting and failing to talk to Darcy about anything even remotely important. Darcy is just silent and disappeary (yes, I made that up.) I didn’t think their personalities were properly captured.

When we finally do get to the vampire – ugh, vampyre – bits, there’s nothing standout there either. Darcy’s excuse for not coming to Elizabeth at night is because there’s a small chance that sexing her up could cause her to change into a vampire. What??? I mean…what??? That’s a new one for me. He has no problem with crosses, or daylight, etc. and explains to Elizabeth that each “family” (no clue how these are actually defined) has its own weakness and his is that he’ll eventually fade to nothingness if he’s outside during too many sunrises or sunsets. Another new vampire –vaaaammmpppyyyyrrreeee – trait for me and not a very thrilling one.

There is a pseudo-villain for about two pages, but there was no real tension created with his appearance and he didn’t pose much of a threat, despite being “old when Jesus Christ was young” and one of the most powerful vampires –vampyres! – ever. I won’t “spoil” the scene, but his defeat is laughably stupid. Darcy’s backstory on how he was turned is also cliché and tropetastic. He and his sister survived a plague, lost their parents and became homeless. His sister fell ill and they were found by a kindly vampyre who turned Georgiana to save her life and turned Darcy so they’d never be apart. –snoring–

Elizabeth also suffers from the “immediate acceptance of the unusual and fantastic” trope. She barely bats an eye at Darcy’s vampyrysm and explains it away with her having “heard stories” about them. Okay, girl, I know your love for him is strong and all, but you wouldn’t be the least bit disgusted, upset or afraid, even if he says he doesn’t drink human blood? PLEASE.

The ending was the most convenient plot twist ever and I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised, considering how weak the vampyre plot line was to begin with, despite the title having the word vampyre – oh, sorry, vampire – in it!

I didn’t expect to fall in love with this book, but I thought I’d at least find something to enjoy. The only positive I can think of is that it’s an incredibly quick read, but overall this book was a huge disappointment and I wouldn’t recommend it for Austen or supernatural fantasy fans. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Feb 16, 2016 |
However, Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is more than just the simple addition of vampire lore to P&P; instead, Amanda Grange has crafted a clever homage to the Gothic novels that Jane Austen so enjoyed. As in all of Ms. Grange’s Austen-inspired novels, she has clearly done her homework, and Mr. Darcy, Vampyre most strongly echoes Ann Radcliffe’s tales of psychological horror, incorporating all the elements that knowledgeable fans of the Gothic expect: a trip through the roughest and most picturesque parts of the Continent; loving descriptions of the scenery (though fortunately, unlike Radcliffe, they don’t go on for page after tiresome page, and there is no doggerel poetry further slowing things down); mysterious castles with oddly-behaving servants; banditti, mercenaries, and fearful, violent villagers; an accident that, Elizabeth is told, portends death; a story of another young lady just like Lizzy who arrived under similar circumstances and met a bad end; and there even is a “black veil” moment, when our heroine sees something so horrid she has no choice but to swoon. The reader is not immediately enlightened to the horror, though we can guess it; and, again fortunately unlike Radcliffe, Ms. Grange does not keep us hanging until the end of the book and then come up with a lame afterthought to close the loop. We also felt echoes of Dracula, Polidori’s seminal story “The Vampyre,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight, and even a smidgen of Harry Potter.
added by AustenBlog | editAustenBlog, Mags (Aug 10, 2009)

This book is dedicated to Catherine Morland
My dearest Jane,
My hand is trembling as I write this letter.

An amusing addition to the Austen canon! Amanda Grange has picked up the story where Austen let off - here, on the day that Lizzie weds Mr Darcy, the dear reader learns that not only is Darcy a vampyre, but also, if he consummates his marriage, poor Lizzie is destined to join him as a bloodsucker!! So as they honeymoon in Europe, poor Lizzie wonders why Darcy keeps is distance....

Presents a paranormal sequel to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice."

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible