The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The Turn of the Screw (1898)

by Henry James

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (SandSing7)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both have an unreliable narrator, which results in an ambiguous story.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (alalba)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (hazzabamboo)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (sturlington)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (sturlington)
    Old People and The Things That Pass by Louis Couperus (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: A Dutch classic. Like The Turn of the Screw it's about restraining, silencing, suppressing a truth that nevertheless manifests itself in subtle ways. But unlike The Turn of the Screw it's actually a very good read.
    The Magus by John Fowles (WSB7)
    WSB7: Appearances also arise, and many more turns of the screw.

English (112)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (125)
Iniziarlo a leggere nel tardo pomeriggio invernale, in casa di penombra e tranquillità, ma isolata e con angoli bui e discosta dalla civiltà. Terminarlo dopo due ore, a buio fatto, nel silenzio, inquieti, perchè abbiamo letto di bambini e pazzia, di fantasmi e paure, senza rumore di catene nè ragnatele, ma solo di pomeriggi grigi e umidi, di visi alla finestra che guardano dentro *senza alitare* sul vetro, di un sole plumbeo che non accenna a schiarire. Sapere che due bambini bellissimi ed educati in realtà sanno molto di piu' di quanto non dimostrino, e di fatto lo dicono, ma nascosto tra le righe di un comportamento educato ed insolente contemporaneamente. Immaginare cosa si prova a percorrere lunghi corridoi illuminati dal chiarore di un candelabro portato a mano in una casa molto, molto grande.

Ecco, tutto questo a me fa paura. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
I was gripped by this short tale of supernatural goings on. What was real, who was the ghost, was the protagonist what she seemed? The flow of the language on the page was like the flow of speech. I couldn't keep myself from reading on, I had to know what happened. ( )
  missizicks | Dec 11, 2014 |
A Victorian Ghost Story about the evils of men and the fear of the uncivilized... WE find a governess who is duty bound to protect the children in her charge from the things that go bump in the night. The story presents the isolation caused by a guarded Victorian rectified World. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
“No, no—there are depths, depths! The more I go over it, the more I see in it, and the more I see in it, the more I fear. I don’t know what I don’t see—what I don’t fear!”

This is my first Henry James book (novella really) and having read it has left me with very mixed feelings about so much so that I actually finished it much earlier in the day and have left it until now to write a review.As I swing from aversion to admiration.

Firstly I found it a little difficult to read,the syntax with its use or perhaps that should be over-use of commas was initially baffling as by the time that I'd finished the sentence my mind had wandered and I had totally forgotten what it was all about so had to re-read it.Despite the brevity of the book the language used was certainly densely packed. Then there was the proliferation of adjectives describing the children (angelic,sweet,beautiful etc) which was initially entrancing but eventually annoying and felt that their innocence had been over-laboured to put it mildly.

Now some people will now doubt feel that the lack of action (and gore) is a let down, after all it is never really obvious whether or not the children can see the ghosts of Miss Jessel and Mr Quint or whether they were merely the work of a mind that was suffering from a breakdown. Certainly lovers of modern horror genre will be disappointed but then this is over a hundred years old so not aimed at the modern market. However, I rather enjoyed this element as it leaves the readers to make their own minds up and in many respects makes it all the more relevant to today's society. In an age where visual violence abounds on our TV screens we have come to a certain extent anaesthetised to it but what any parent really fears is the corruption of their children by outside an unseen influences. Only now it is probably the internet of other media devices. This in many respects is a tale of the battle between good and evil,nature and nurture. Perhaps given that James was a confirmed bachelor this is all the more surprising.

An interesting worthwhile read that constantly makes you with an ending that took me totally by surprise and not an easy to put down and pick up at a later date but in the end the syntax won out hence the middling score. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Dec 2, 2014 |

Klingberg, OlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lydis, MarietteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Doren, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The story had held us, round the fire, sufficiently breathless, but except the obvious remark that it ws gruesome, as, on Christmas Eve in an old house, a strange tale should essentially be, I remember no comment uttered till somebody happened to say that it was the only case he had met in which such a visitation had fallen on a child.
She was a magnificent monument to the blessing of a want of imagination...

A very young woman's first job: governess for two weirdly beautiful, strangely distant, oddly silent children, Miles and Flora, at a forlorn estate ...
    PHANTOMS OF SHADOW AND MADNESS

Half-seen figures who glare from dark towers and dusty windows - silent, foul phantoms who, day by day, night by night, come closer, ever closer. With growing horror, the helpless governess realizes the fiendish creatures want the children. Seeking to corrupt their bodies, possess their minds, own their souls.

But worse - much worse - the governess discovers that Miles and Flora have no terror of the lurking evil.
For they want the talking dead as badly as the dead want them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486266842, Paperback)

The story starts conventionally enough with friends sharing ghost stories 'round the fire on Christmas Eve. One of the guests tells about a governess at a country house plagued by supernatural visitors. But in the hands of Henry James, the master of nuance, this little tale of terror is an exquisite gem of sexual and psychological ambiguity. Only the young governess can see the ghosts; only she suspects that the previous governess and her lover are controlling the two orphaned children (a girl and a boy) for some evil purpose. The household staff don't know what she's talking about, the children are evasive when questioned, and the master of the house (the children's uncle) is absent. Why does the young girl claim not to see a perfectly visible woman standing on the far side of the lake? Are the children being deceptive, or is the governess being paranoid? By leaving the questions unanswered, The Turn of Screw generates spine-tingling anxiety in its mesmerized readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:13 -0400)

One of literature's most gripping ghost stories depicts the sinister transformation of 2 innocent children into flagrant liars and hypocrites. Elegantly told tale of unspoken horror and psychological terror creates what few stories in literature have been able to do ? a complete feeling of dread and uncertainty.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175811, 190917582X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible