The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The Turn of the Screw (1898)

by Henry James

The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (SandSing7)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both have an unreliable narrator, which results in an ambiguous story.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (alalba)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (hazzabamboo)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (sturlington)
    Old People and The Things That Pass by Louis Couperus (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: A Dutch classic. Like The Turn of the Screw it's about restraining, silencing, suppressing a truth that nevertheless manifests itself in subtle ways. But unlike The Turn of the Screw it's actually a very good read.
    The Magus by John Fowles (WSB7)
    WSB7: Appearances also arise, and many more turns of the screw.

English (131)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (145)
Well, this was a strange little book and not at all what I expected from Henry James. I think I need someone to explain it to me. This is what I understood:
a young governess is hired by a London gentleman to go to his country house and teach his young niece and nephew; the nephew was away at boarding school but has been sent home in disgrace and is not welcome back; the governess sees a strange man peering into a window but when she goes outside to find him he has disappeared; later she sees him on an upper story of the house; while out with the little girl the governess also sees a strange woman standing across the lake from them; these two ghosts seem to have some hold over the two children; the housekeeper identifies the two phantoms as a man who was the owner's valet and the previous governess who had a sexual relationship.

Strange little book although I must say Carole Boyd did a great job of narrating it. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 3, 2016 |
An old fashioned ghost story. I found this to be a book that kept my interest and kept me wanting to come back for more as soon as possible. The old language forced me to re-read some passages to be sure I understood what was said, but that's not necessarily a negative. I enjoyed the story, loved the suspense, liked the little twists. I'm tempted to make this a favorite I need to own based solely on how the story pulled me in, the classic writing style being the only drawback. It's definitely one I'd recommend. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is a creepy book, but it takes a long time for the story to get going. The initial storytelling that introduces the within-the-story doesn't seem to have any purpose except add length to a short novel and unfortunately (for suspense) lets us know that the governess survives her fearful tale.

Once events start occurring, this does get disturbing and is certainly worth reading, especially as the first of this kind of horror. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
3.5 stars
A good ole ghost story (or is it?). The book opens on Christmas Eve with several characters sitting around the fire listening to the story of a young governess. The governess takes a new position in charge of two children and soon begins to see ghosts of two former employees from the children’s home.

It was not my favorite of his books but I enjoyed it. James, as usual, is a master at getting inside the heads of his characters. He leaves it up to the reader to draw his/her own conclusions whether this is a simple ghost story or the story of a psychotic breakdown of the governess. Nothing is really said, all is implied. The children were brilliantly creepy or angelic depending on your interpretation. A fun and creepy read.
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
A classic ghost story which leads the reader to question much of what the narator tells them.

Some people read this (relatively) short story as the tale of the breakdown of a young woman in her first job as a governess, while others (myself included) read it as simply a ghost story.

The ambiguity allows each person to interpret it in their own way and there is certainly enough material to argue either side of the debate.

The more you think about it the more questions arise.

A good story in the way it gets you to question reality but too ambiguous to satisfy my need for clarity. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Det rör sig om en av världslitteraturens otäckaste berättelser. Otäck inte bara för att det som händer är otäckt utan för att man inte riktigt vet vad som händer – och har hänt.

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

The story had held us, round the fire, sufficiently breathless, but except the obvious remark that it ws gruesome, as, on Christmas Eve in an old house, a strange tale should essentially be, I remember no comment uttered till somebody happened to say that it was the only case he had met in which such a visitation had fallen on a child.
She was a magnificent monument to the blessing of a want of imagination...

A very young woman's first job: governess for two weirdly beautiful, strangely distant, oddly silent children, Miles and Flora, at a forlorn estate ...
    PHANTOMS OF SHADOW AND MADNESS

Half-seen figures who glare from dark towers and dusty windows - silent, foul phantoms who, day by day, night by night, come closer, ever closer. With growing horror, the helpless governess realizes the fiendish creatures want the children. Seeking to corrupt their bodies, possess their minds, own their souls.

But worse - much worse - the governess discovers that Miles and Flora have no terror of the lurking evil.
For they want the talking dead as badly as the dead want them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486266842, Paperback)

The story starts conventionally enough with friends sharing ghost stories 'round the fire on Christmas Eve. One of the guests tells about a governess at a country house plagued by supernatural visitors. But in the hands of Henry James, the master of nuance, this little tale of terror is an exquisite gem of sexual and psychological ambiguity. Only the young governess can see the ghosts; only she suspects that the previous governess and her lover are controlling the two orphaned children (a girl and a boy) for some evil purpose. The household staff don't know what she's talking about, the children are evasive when questioned, and the master of the house (the children's uncle) is absent. Why does the young girl claim not to see a perfectly visible woman standing on the far side of the lake? Are the children being deceptive, or is the governess being paranoid? By leaving the questions unanswered, The Turn of Screw generates spine-tingling anxiety in its mesmerized readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:42 -0400)

The narrator is a young governess, sent off to a country house to take charge of two orphaned children. She finds a pleasant house and a comfortable housekeeper, while the children are beautiful and charming. But she soon begins to feel the presence of intense evil.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible