The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The Turn of the Screw (1898)

by Henry James

3,9191121,301 (3.46)516
1001 (26) 1001 books (42) 19th century (114) American (49) American literature (110) children (23) classic (143) classics (125) ebook (41) England (28) English (21) English literature (25) fiction (470) ghost stories (60) ghosts (130) gothic (103) governess (30) Henry James (26) horror (187) literature (104) mystery (46) novel (81) novella (35) read (48) supernatural (25) suspense (32) to-read (68) unread (35) USA (21) Victorian (25)
    The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (SandSing7)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both have an unreliable narrator, which results in an ambiguous story.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (alalba)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (hazzabamboo)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (sturlington)
    Old People and The Things That Pass by Louis Couperus (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: A Dutch classic. Like The Turn of the Screw it's about restraining, silencing, suppressing a truth that nevertheless manifests itself in subtle ways. But unlike The Turn of the Screw it's actually a very good read.
    The Magus by John Fowles (WSB7)
    WSB7: Appearances also arise, and many more turns of the screw.

English (99)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (112)
I had a hard time with the language on this one...tough to follow. And I was continually frustrated with the governness in regards to Miles--if she wanted to know why he was kicked out of school, she should have asked him from the beginning, or written a letter to the headmaster!! It just seemed really odd that she decided not to mention it to him at all when he first came home. There was a lot of communication that was not happening. I did like the psychological element to it, and the possibly unreliable narrator. I was hoping it would be creepier than it turned out to be! I just didn't feel as much of an emotional connection to the characters. ( )
1 vote goet0095 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I suppose it's because of how old the story is, that I found the mystery/ story unsuspenseful. I've never seen so many unnecessary words used to describe the simplest of things! My mind was left strained and uncaring towards the end. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
When I asked my teacher which novel dealing with ghosts he would suggest me, he came to Henry James. I must say, that I found the story with the maid and the children too complicate and liked better any of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s stories, although I knew that literature since him made a good step forward. However, it could be a mistake to read difficult stuff being too young, as later on interest in a repetition is low.
  hbergander | Feb 17, 2014 |
not to my taste. way too verbose. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Klingberg, OlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lydis, MarietteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Doren, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The story had held us, round the fire, sufficiently breathless, but except the obvious remark that it ws gruesome, as, on Christmas Eve in an old house, a strange tale should essentially be, I remember no comment uttered till somebody happened to say that it was the only case he had met in which such a visitation had fallen on a child.
She was a magnificent monument to the blessing of a want of imagination...

A very young woman's first job: governess for two weirdly beautiful, strangely distant, oddly silent children, Miles and Flora, at a forlorn estate ...
    PHANTOMS OF SHADOW AND MADNESS

Half-seen figures who glare from dark towers and dusty windows - silent, foul phantoms who, day by day, night by night, come closer, ever closer. With growing horror, the helpless governess realizes the fiendish creatures want the children. Seeking to corrupt their bodies, possess their minds, own their souls.

But worse - much worse - the governess discovers that Miles and Flora have no terror of the lurking evil.
For they want the talking dead as badly as the dead want them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486266842, Paperback)

The story starts conventionally enough with friends sharing ghost stories 'round the fire on Christmas Eve. One of the guests tells about a governess at a country house plagued by supernatural visitors. But in the hands of Henry James, the master of nuance, this little tale of terror is an exquisite gem of sexual and psychological ambiguity. Only the young governess can see the ghosts; only she suspects that the previous governess and her lover are controlling the two orphaned children (a girl and a boy) for some evil purpose. The household staff don't know what she's talking about, the children are evasive when questioned, and the master of the house (the children's uncle) is absent. Why does the young girl claim not to see a perfectly visible woman standing on the far side of the lake? Are the children being deceptive, or is the governess being paranoid? By leaving the questions unanswered, The Turn of Screw generates spine-tingling anxiety in its mesmerized readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:13 -0400)

One of literature's most gripping ghost stories depicts the sinister transformation of 2 innocent children into flagrant liars and hypocrites. Elegantly told tale of unspoken horror and psychological terror creates what few stories in literature have been able to do ? a complete feeling of dread and uncertainty.… (more)

Sixteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible