No title (2009)

Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:Fiction

A Rumpole Christmas: Stories by John Mortimer (2009)

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
A mostly previously published but still very enjoyable collection of Christmas related Rumpole stories. They just make me smile.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
A delightful collection of seven Christmas-themed stories. Most share a similar structure, with Rumpole and She Who Must Be Obeyed going away for Christmas, or Rumpole's current case following him into the holidays. They are probably best read in individual servings and not gobbled all at once on the bus, but even so they are a very soothing read. We can always count on peace on earth and justice from Rumpole at Christmas. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Dec 19, 2013 |
I came across this collection of Rumpole Christmas stories while browsing my public library's ebook collection. I read and enjoyed the author's Summer's Lease a few years ago but I had never tried the Rumpole series for which he is most famous. This collection is a great appetizer for the series. It gave me a taste for characters and situations that appear to feature regularly in this series, such as Rumpole's wife, known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, his legal colleagues the Erskine-Browns, private eye F.I.G. Newton, and the Timson family who live on the wrong side of the law. There isn't a bad story in the bunch. I particularly enjoyed the hat tip to P.G. Wodehouse with the identity of the victim in one of the stories: Honoria Glossop. I look forward to spending more time with Rumpole and his clients and associates. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 27, 2012 |
Well, I was at the Library and searching for a seasonal book to read (for Christmas), and I came across this book. I was familiar with Rumpole of the Bailey through the TV series and I thought this would be a fun read - and it was! It is a collection of five stories all with a Christmas theme as Rumpole faces insurmountable odds trying to defend his innocent clients (they are all innocent until the Jury says otherwise says Rumpole many times throughout the books). ( )
  slimy07 | Dec 21, 2012 |
Crime never takes a holiday and neither does Rumpole. Every year Rumpole and She Who Must Be Obeyed exchange the obligatory Christmas presents: a tie for him and a bottle of lavender water for her. Sounds simple enough; yet, it isn't. Rumpole manages to find himself involved in five holiday mysteries.

'Tis the season for mischief as Rumpole encounters a suspicious Father Christmas, endures a health spa, visits a church, entertains children, and defends a suspected terrorist, all in typical Rumpole fashion. Enjoy this treat to the fullest as this collection is likely to be the last publication featuring "new" Rumpole stories. Sadly John Mortimer passed away in January, 2009. All of the stories in A Rumpole Christmas have previously appeared in magazines, but this is the first time they appear in book format.

The Bottom Line: Rumpole is probably John Mortimer's most beloved and memorable character. Whether you have time to read just one story or all, there's a story in this collection that's just right for you. Delightful reading as always. Recommended for mystery buffs who enjoy short stories. Rumpole is sure to liven up your holiday spirit.

This review also appears in the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog: http://minibookbytes.blogspot.com/ ( )
1 vote aya.herron | Jul 18, 2010 |
Christmas had come again.

Five holiday tales feature the curmudgeon barrister in "Rumpole and Father Christmas," "Rumpole's Slimmed Down Christmas," "Rumpole and the Boy," "Rumpole and the Old Familiar Faces," and "Rumpole and the Christmas Break."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible