Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Rumpole Christmas : Stories by John Mortimer (2009)

English (15)  German (1)  English (16)
If you love Rumpole, these stories won't disappoint. Published after Mortimer's death, they were a great comfort to me because life without Rumpole...is just hard. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
A collection of "Rumpole of the Bailey" stories, all more or less with a Christmas theme. Rumpole's curmudgeonly and rumpled humor is in fine form here, and his relationship with his wife Hilda ("She Who Must Be Obeyed") is somewhat expanded, especially when a judicial nemesis of Rumpole's takes an interest in her. The stories mainly involve She Who Must dragging a reluctant Rumpole around from one ghastly Christmas excursion to another, and yet he manages to find a non-promising murder case to defend. I was saddened to read from the interior notes that John Mortimer died in 2009. No more Rumpole stories. Fortunately, Mortimer was quite prolific, and I believe I've only read about half of his oeuvre. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 30, 2016 |
I'm a recent fan of "Grumpole", having just discovered him for myself a week ago with the first book in the series, [Rumpole of the Bailey], with Patrick Tull narrating on the audio version I listened to. I thought no one else could possibly do Rumpole quite as briliantly as Tull did, but must say I enjoyed Bill Wallis's performance as the hapless yet sympathetic barrister tremendously for this collection of Christmas stories (and I believe the last Rumpole book Mortimer published before his death in 2009). Rumpole is no great fan of the Christmas season, which every year brings him a new tie from She Who Must Be Obeyed and a yearly bottle of lavender water from him to this unbending wife, who drags him from one Christmas engagement he can little look forward to, to yet another worse engagement, with the finale being a stay at a "health farm" where the best he can hope for finally happens: a murder suspect to defend to take him away from insipid health food and miserable company. A very entertaining holiday read that I'll be sure to return to regularly during the Christmas season. ( )
  Smiler69 | Dec 19, 2015 |
Classic Rumpole short stories. As far as Horace Rumpole is concerned Christmas is fine as long as he has his usual quota of Chateau Thames Embankment and maybe a steak and kidney pudding. Hilda has an idea for a healthy change: Christmas at a spa. ( )
  VivienneR | Dec 10, 2014 |
A mostly previously published but still very enjoyable collection of Christmas related Rumpole stories. They just make me smile.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Christmas had come again.

Five holiday tales feature the curmudgeon barrister in "Rumpole and Father Christmas," "Rumpole's Slimmed Down Christmas," "Rumpole and the Boy," "Rumpole and the Old Familiar Faces," and "Rumpole and the Christmas Break."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible