Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies (1999)

by Jhumpa Lahiri

English (160)  Catalan (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (167)
A quick read, easily completed in a weekend. Although I'm not a big fan of short stories, I did enjoy this collection. The stories are all a little sad (as short stories seem destined to be), but no so much that they depressed me. The emotions were bittersweet, not melodramatic. Each story featured Indian food in some capacity, as a symbol of emotional bonding, and I was perpetually craving curry, samosas, and various other dishes described! A nice look at Indian culture from various perspectives. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Enjoying the moment, the simple moments that can change ones life is what this book is about. We join a journey where we experience a moment in time, doing something the characters may have done daily or even hourly, yet one day something clicks and a new outlook, a new thought, a new idea sparks and this, a simple moment, arrives and changes a life. Lahiri writes beautifully making me feel those moments that can change one's world. ( )
1 vote Marensherry | Sep 15, 2014 |
While I liked this book for the look into the lives of India Indians--especially those who have moved to the US, many of the stories just didn't make sense in the end.

An OK book, but not one that I would recommend. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Aug 16, 2014 |
This debut of short stories is stunning! Set in India and America, these are quick glimpses into the lives of people looking for love and acceptance, sweeping between generations and nations. My favorite collection of short stories of all time. Winner of the 2000 Pulitzer. Need I say more? ( )
  Berly | Jul 27, 2014 |
Wow, what a fantastic collection of stories. This is her debut publication and it is very impressive. The stories are mainly about Indians, in the US and in India. I enjoyed that the stories in the US mainly took place in Boston and Cambridge, they seemed more real to me because I knew the places. But the stories in India were equally evocative. The first and last stories were the best, the ones that really caused me stop and ponder at the end. I'll have to go look up The Namesake after this.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
In this accomplished collection of stories, Jhumpa Lahiri traces the lives of people on two continents -- North America and India -- and in doing so announces herself as a wonderfully distinctive new voice. Indeed, Ms. Lahiri's prose is so eloquent and assured that the reader easily forgets that ''Interpreter of Maladies'' is a young writer's first book.

Jhumpa Lahiriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cooley, StevenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlström, EvaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Melissasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjöstrand, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents and for my sister
The notice informed them that it was a temporary matter: for five days their electricity would be cut off for one hour, beginning at eight P.M.
While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and I am certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.
As stunned as I was, I knew what I had to say. With no hesitation at all, I cried out, "Splendid!"

CONTENTS:
A Temporary Matter -- When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine -- Interpreter of Maladies -- A Real Durwan -- Sexy -- This Blessed House -- The Treatment of Bibi Haldar -- The Third and Final Continent

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039592720X, Paperback)

Mr. Kapasi, the protagonist of Jhumpa Lahiri's title story, would certainly have his work cut out for him if he were forced to interpret the maladies of all the characters in this eloquent debut collection. Take, for example, Shoba and Shukumar, the young couple in "A Temporary Matter" whose marriage is crumbling in the wake of a stillborn child. Or Miranda in "Sexy," who is involved in a hopeless affair with a married man. But Mr. Kapasi has problems enough of his own; in addition to his regular job working as an interpreter for a doctor who does not speak his patients' language, he also drives tourists to local sites of interest. His fare on this particular day is Mr. and Mrs. Das--first-generation Americans of Indian descent--and their children. During the course of the afternoon, Mr. Kapasi becomes enamored of Mrs. Das and then becomes her unwilling confidant when she reads too much into his profession. "I told you because of your talents," she informs him after divulging a startling secret.
I'm tired of feeling so terrible all the time. Eight years, Mr. Kapasi, I've been in pain eight years. I was hoping you could help me feel better; say the right thing. Suggest some kind of remedy.
Of course, Mr. Kapasi has no cure for what ails Mrs. Das--or himself. Lahiri's subtle, bittersweet ending is characteristic of the collection as a whole. Some of these nine tales are set in India, others in the United States, and most concern characters of Indian heritage. Yet the situations Lahiri's people face, from unhappy marriages to civil war, transcend ethnicity. As the narrator of the last story, "The Third and Final Continent," comments: "There are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept." In that single line Jhumpa Lahiri sums up a universal experience, one that applies to all who have grown up, left home, fallen in or out of love, and, above all, experienced what it means to be a foreigner, even within one's own family. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:12 -0400)

Stories about Indians in India and America. The story, A Temporary Matter, is on mixed marriage, Mrs. Sen's is on the adaptation of an immigrant to the U.S., and in the title story an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible