dismiss

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies (1999)

by Jhumpa Lahiri

10,308228469 (4.08)1 / 307
Stories about Indians in India and America. The story, A Temporary Matter, is on mixed marriage, Mrs. Sen's is on the adaptation of an immigrant to the U.S., and in the title story an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors.
Recently added bytinymadman, HediDa, WPHECSPEC, private library, ljus, carlypancakes, Aaron.Cohen, CTWALKER, Canutus, Yrrol

English (217)  Catalan (4)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (227)
I liked some of the stories a lot, but I found others to have ambiguous endings for no apparent reason other than to seem deep. ( )
  Kelmanel | Apr 17, 2020 |
This has been on my shelves for years.....it was - ok. Each short story is set in India or is about Indians. The stories are of everyday life, nothing dramatic happens, mostly I felt like each story made me sad. Not crying sad, but depressed, downtrodden, beat up sad. Sad lives lived in sad circumstances. And each story just ended. Like a person shuts a window....story over. Or eats a piece of candy in bed....story over. I'd much rather read a 600 page book than short stories.....just not my form I think. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I really appreciated all of the short stories in this book. Definitely gave me some knowledge and insight into a culture I am otherwise mostly ignorant of. I will be looking to learn more. As for the writing, I loved the ordinary observations Lahiri wove into the overall theme of each chapter/the book. Great read. ( )
  kristi_test_02 | Feb 14, 2020 |
Sexy - 5
Mrs. Sen's - 3
This Blessed House - 4
The Treatment of Bibi Haldar - 5
The Third and Final Continent - 5 ( )
  proteaprince | Dec 18, 2019 |
A collection of short stories, all focusing on Indians or Indian-Americans. They're simple, quiet, domestic stories that provide glimpses into the lives of very ordinary-seeming people, and yet at the same time they feel incredibly layered and rich. The writing is excellent, too, in a way that's unpretentious yet wonderfully effective. Several times I found myself finishing a story, setting the book down and just whispering to myself, "Wow, she's good." ( )
1 vote bragan | Sep 22, 2019 |
In this accomplished collection of stories, Jhumpa Lahiri traces the lives of people on two continents -- North America and India -- and in doing so announces herself as a wonderfully distinctive new voice. Indeed, Ms. Lahiri's prose is so eloquent and assured that the reader easily forgets that ''Interpreter of Maladies'' is a young writer's first book.

Jhumpa Lahiriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooley, StevenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlström, EvaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjöstrand, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents and for my sister
The notice informed them that it was a temporary matter: for five days their electricity would be cut off for one hour, beginning at eight P.M.
While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and I am certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.
As stunned as I was, I knew what I had to say. With no hesitation at all, I cried out, "Splendid!"
In fact, the only thing that appeared three-dimensional about Boori Ma was her voice: brittle with sorrows, as tart as curds, and shrill enough to grate meat from a coconut.
He wondered if Mr. and Mrs. Das were a bad match, just as he and his wife were. Perhaps they, too, had little in common apart from three children and a decade of their lives. The signs he recognized from his own marriage were there--the bickering, the indifference, the protracted silences.
In its own way this correspondence would fulfill his dream, of serving as an interpreter between nations.

CONTENTS:
A Temporary Matter -- When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine -- Interpreter of Maladies -- A Real Durwan -- Sexy -- This Blessed House -- The Treatment of Bibi Haldar -- The Third and Final Continent

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,502,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible