The Promised World: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

The Promised World: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Lisa Tucker

Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The Promised World: A Novel
Authors:Lisa Tucker
Info:Atria (2009), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC-alanche, To read
Tags:TBR, ARC, to be reviewed

The Promised World by Lisa Tucker (2009)

This is one of those books where the review doesn't come easily. It is a book that seems to resonates with many people. The novel is inherently sad and explores the effects of abuse and memory manipulation, especially when a person has good intentions and the desire to protect someone they love.

The chapters alternate the individual perspectives which show how one experience can affect each person differently. There are many different characters, but the author manages to keep the perspectives clear and separate.

Like others who've read this novel, I found the first half to be slow. I came close to putting it down several times and not picking it up again. But, there was a compelling element that made me want to continue reading and find out the truth of Lila and Billy's story. The story picks up towards the end as truth is realized.

I honestly can't say that I liked the book. It isn't an uplifting book by any means. However, it is one that could stay with you which, depending on your own personal life experiences, will either be good or bad. One of the things I did enjoy was the use of literature. Lila was an English professor and both she and Billy not only loved books, but books were an integral part of their lives and their relationship. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
I agree with another reviewer, strange book but kept me interested. I didn't think the writing was anything special though. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 17, 2016 |
Lisa Tucker originally from MO and now PA has written five novels.
This is the first one I have read, but not the last, as this lady can tell a story. She has a brilliant way of pacing the story. Only after the main theme and characters have been ensconced does she switch and lets each character speak from their point of view.
The story starts with twins; Billy and Lila are brainy orphaned adults. Lila has married Patrick but has not wanted children and Billy marries a showgirl, Ashley and has three children. With these facts, the real story starts With Billy committing suicide by cop.
If anyone has ever had a doubt about a childhood memory, this story will be a fascinating, psychological look at the secrets hidden by Billy so his sister may have the Promised World.
My Book Club of 15 talked longer about this book than many of the ones that went before. It was without the usual life stories as we are all of an age that barely remember our childhood. Everyone liked it is another unusual fact. It will be my pick for my other book club which is a younger bunch. ( )
  SallyRose | Feb 26, 2011 |
Jennifer Donovan grabbed me (as apparently Lisa Tucker grabbed her) with this line: "As much as I love to read a second or third novel by an author I know I'll enjoy, there's something about that first seduction of words and characters and literary devices the first time around." Read Jennifer's review at 5 Minutes for Books.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 26, 2011 |
Yes, the scenery is magical - the illusion so complete ... But every night when the curtain falls, truth comes in with darkness. No light shows from the mountain. To and fro I walk the piazza deck, haunted by Marianna's face, and many as real a story.
--Herman Melville, "The Piazza"
While millions of people watched her brother die, Lila sat in her quiet office at the university, working on a paper about Herman Melville's later years.

On a March afternoon, while Lila Cole is working in her quiet office, her twin brother, Billy, points an unloaded rifle out of a hotel window across from an elementary school, closing down a city block. "Suicide by police" was obviously Billy's intended result, but the aftermath of his death brings shock after shock for Lila when she discovers that her twin - the person she thought she was closer to than anyone in the world - was not only estranged from his wife, but also charged with endangering the life of his middle child and namesake, eight-year-old William. Compulsively readable and empathetically written in Tucker's artful prose, THe Promised World is an epic tale of intimacy, betrayal, and lost innocence that will haunt readers long after they turn the final page. (ARC)

When her beloved twin brother stages a suicide by instigating a gun fight with the police, Lila Cole is shocked to discover disturbing facts about her twin's relationships with his wife and children, and she risks her job and marriage to find answers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible