The Promised World: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

The Promised World: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Lisa Tucker

Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The Promised World: A Novel
Authors:Lisa Tucker
Info:Atria (2009), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC-alanche, To read
Tags:TBR, ARC, to be reviewed

The Promised World by Lisa Tucker (2009)

Lisa Tucker originally from MO and now PA has written five novels.
This is the first one I have read, but not the last, as this lady can tell a story. She has a brilliant way of pacing the story. Only after the main theme and characters have been ensconced does she switch and lets each character speak from their point of view.
The story starts with twins; Billy and Lila are brainy orphaned adults. Lila has married Patrick but has not wanted children and Billy marries a showgirl, Ashley and has three children. With these facts, the real story starts With Billy committing suicide by cop.
If anyone has ever had a doubt about a childhood memory, this story will be a fascinating, psychological look at the secrets hidden by Billy so his sister may have the Promised World.
My Book Club of 15 talked longer about this book than many of the ones that went before. It was without the usual life stories as we are all of an age that barely remember our childhood. Everyone liked it is another unusual fact. It will be my pick for my other book club which is a younger bunch. ( )
  SallyRose | Feb 26, 2011 |
Jennifer Donovan grabbed me (as apparently Lisa Tucker grabbed her) with this line: "As much as I love to read a second or third novel by an author I know I'll enjoy, there's something about that first seduction of words and characters and literary devices the first time around." Read Jennifer's review at 5 Minutes for Books.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 26, 2011 |
The Promised World starts with the news of Billy's "suicide by police". Billy's twin sister, Lila, had an unusually close bond with Billy, and struggles to cope with his death. Lila's memories of her childhood may not accurate, and her assessment of current relationships may also be flawed. As Lila works to clarify her memories, her views of more current situations must also change.

This novel is told in multiple perspectives. Though Lila is the primary character, we also view the situation through the eyes of Ashley (Billy's wife), and William (Billy's son). The multiple perspectives really worked well in this novel, as the characters are so different. It was difficult at times to determine which narrator was the "reliable" one; this added a lot of interest to the story.

I enjoyed this book and wouldn't hesitate to loan it to a friend. It was engrossing and entertaining, even if it doesn't make my "all time favorites" list. ( )
  SugarCreekRanch | Mar 25, 2010 |
Not her best. Not sure if the childhood is believable.
  shazjhb | Mar 1, 2010 |
This engrossing tale delves deep into the power of memory and the often blurry lines between actual events and the stories we're told about those events. The focus of the book are Lila and Billy, a set of unusually close fraternal twins whose lives and stories are enwtined more than anyone can imagine. After Billy's death Lila completely breaks down, leaving her husband Patrick - a man who has always valued reason and logic over emotion - to sift through what he knows and what he is told to piece together the truth about Lila and Billy's childhood.

Often poignant and incredibly readable, this novel was very well-written and I highly recommend it with 5 stars. Every family has its secrets, some more so than others - I think Tucker truly captured the quiet darkness that exists deep in the recesses of the human mind. She also tackled the very interesting topic of twins and the unique bonds they share, sometimes to the detriment of their other relationships. This book will make you think; it'll make you call your sibling or your mom; it will certainly make you want to read more from Lisa Tucker. ( )
  smileydq | Dec 16, 2009 |
Yes, the scenery is magical - the illusion so complete ... But every night when the curtain falls, truth comes in with darkness. No light shows from the mountain. To and fro I walk the piazza deck, haunted by Marianna's face, and many as real a story.
--Herman Melville, "The Piazza"
While millions of people watched her brother die, Lila sat in her quiet office at the university, working on a paper about Herman Melville's later years.

On a March afternoon, while Lila Cole is working in her quiet office, her twin brother, Billy, points an unloaded rifle out of a hotel window across from an elementary school, closing down a city block. "Suicide by police" was obviously Billy's intended result, but the aftermath of his death brings shock after shock for Lila when she discovers that her twin - the person she thought she was closer to than anyone in the world - was not only estranged from his wife, but also charged with endangering the life of his middle child and namesake, eight-year-old William. Compulsively readable and empathetically written in Tucker's artful prose, THe Promised World is an epic tale of intimacy, betrayal, and lost innocence that will haunt readers long after they turn the final page. (ARC)

When her beloved twin brother stages a suicide by instigating a gun fight with the police, Lila Cole is shocked to discover disturbing facts about her twin's relationships with his wife and children, and she risks her job and marriage to find answers.… (more)

54 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible