The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom…

The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions (original 1958; edition 1991)

by Huston Smith

Member:apopipsqueak
Title:The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions
Authors:Huston Smith
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1991), Edition: Rev/Repr, Paperback
Tags:Religion

The World's Religions : Our Great Wisdom Traditions by Huston Smith (1958)

Great introduction to the world's major religious traditions, putting each in it's historical context which really aids in gaining some understanding and appreciation of them. ( )
1 vote bibliosk8er | Aug 14, 2012 |
Really amazing book! It's my textbook for my World Religions class and I absolutely love it! First textbook that I actually am not going to get rid of after I finish the class. A great book for anyone interested in different religions. ( )
1 vote charlileftclues | Sep 29, 2011 |
This book is a wonderful book for comparative religions. It doesn't feel like one is more favored over another, and it treats the history of all the religions equally. I respect Smith for being able to talk about the good and bad sides of religion without favoring the easy ones. ( )
1 vote Maggie_Rum | Jun 8, 2011 |
one of my all-time favorites ( )
  escarb25 | Mar 15, 2009 |
Religions.
  icm | Oct 3, 2008 |
When I behold the sacred liao* wo my thoughts return
To those who begot me, raised me, and now are tired.
I would repay the bounty they have given me,
But it is as the sky: it can never be approached.

*A species of grass symbolizing parenthood.
To ALICE LONGDEN SMITH

and

WESLEY MORELAND SMITH

Missionaries to China for forty-one years
Several people have written books about the world's religions. Please do not combine with works by other authors.

Original 1958 Title, The Religions of Man (a seperate LT work).
Revised 1991 Edition, The World’s Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062508113, Paperback)

The World's Religions, by Huston Smith, has been a standard introduction to its eponymous subject since its first publication in 1958. Smith writes humbly, forswearing judgment on the validity of world religions. His introduction asks, "How does it all sound from above? Like bedlam, or do the strains blend in strange, ethereal harmony? ... We cannot know. All we can do is try to listen carefully and with full attention to each voice in turn as it addresses the divine. Such listening defines the purpose of this book." His criteria for inclusion and analysis of religions in this book are "relevance to the modern mind" and "universality," and his interest in each religion is more concerned with its principles than its context. Therefore, he avoids cataloging the horrors and crimes of which religions have been accused, and he attempts to show each "at their best." Yet The World's Religions is no pollyannaish romp: "It is about religion alive," Huston writes. "It calls the soul to the highest adventure it can undertake, a proposed journey across the jungles, peaks, and deserts of the human spirit. The call is to confront reality." And by translating the voices of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Confucianism, Christianity, and Judaism, among others, Smith has amplified the divine call for generations of readers. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

A completely revised edition of the bestselling introduction to the history of religion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,395,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible