No title

Info:
Collections:
Tags:urban fantasy

Flesh Circus by Lilith Saintcrow

Recently added bywarangel820, aholsonback, EmScape, mizdarlin, private library, kellyscott17, Mangekyou, Dureo, ridouan

Fall-Winter-2010
  lencicki | Aug 28, 2013 |
Fall-Winter-2010
  orbitbooks | May 9, 2013 |
When I see a book described as having "nonstop action" I don't really take it literally. But it's pretty much true here - the book starts with a brawl and reels from fistfight to zombie attack to voodoo spirit possession until the very (creepy) end. It probably wouldn't work well as an intro to the series for that reason, but it holds up if you already have the context. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
So the Jill Kismet series is turning into a series which I like but don't really enjoy. I like Saintcrow's writing; her worlds are fascinating, her tone is dark and edgy, and her style is just, well, cool.
Unfortunately Flesh Circus didn't really hold my attention. I think the main problem is that it's always set on go, the pace is kind of Gabba-like, rather than any sort of ebb and flow. This also means she doesn't allow the characters a lot of interesting emotional interchange. ( )
  flemmily | Feb 22, 2010 |
Another hard, scratchy book in the Jill Kismet series. Saul is back and Jill feels he's a bit off beat. There are misunderstandings around that that make the romance side of the book oddly compelling.

There is also a complex story, unravelled and tidied up nicely at the end, in which it appears the voodoo practitioners and the traders, who normally avoid each other, are at war, all tied up with the return of Le Cirque de Charnu, a kind of circus of the damned.

There's just enough there that I mostly worked it out first, although there are twists that I didn't get and there's some element of satisfaction in seeing how it unravels so I won't spoil that element further.

And, of course, there's plenty of kick-ass action - shooting, whips, knives, punching the head off zombies to get them to stop and the like. ( )
  lewispike | Dec 26, 2009 |
Bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem.

—Seneca
To L.I.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316035459, Mass Market Paperback)

The Cirque de Charnu has come.

They will clean out the demons and the suicides, and move on. As long as they stay within the rules, Jill Kismet can't deny them entry. But she can watch--and if they step out of line, she'll send them packing.

When Cirque performers start dying grotesquely, Kismet has to find out why, or the fragile truce won't hold and her entire city will become a carnival of horror. She also has to play the resident hellbreed power against the Cirque to keep them in line, and find out why ordinary people are needing exorcisms. And then there's the murdered voodoo practitioners, and the zombies.

An ancient vengeance is about to be enacted. The Cirque is about to explode. And Jill Kismet is about to find out some games are played for keeps...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:50 -0400)

"The Cirque De Charnu has come to town...When circus performers start dying grotesquely, Jill Kismet has to find out why, or the entire city will become a carnival of horror. She also has to play the resident hellbreed power against the Cirque to keep them in line, and find out why ordinary people are needing exorcisms. And then there's the murdered voodoo practitioners, and the zombies. Jill Kismet is about to find out that some games are for keeps."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible