The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (1)

This is the first book I have read out of all Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has made me want to read the actual novels, names and incidents of which were mentioned in several of the stories in this book.

I loved both the observation of Sherlock Holmes himself, by Dr. Watson who writes the accounts of their investigations, in the first person. I love how, seemly odd events come together to make such intriguing tales. It is less 'mystery thriller' or 'whodunnit' and more the small almost imperceptible occurrences which grow into something more, or baffling accidents which become investigative worthy. I loved the simplicity of how such detailed and convoluted happenings come together and unfold into something criminal - things that would be completely missed by anyone but Sherlock Holmes' keen eye.

I loved the style of late Victorian writing, reminiscent of a time gone by. It made me realise that the recent Sherlock Holmes films (staring Robert Downey Jr.) reflect both the time and the writing. This has book has turned me into a Sherlock Holmes fan! ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
Sherlock Holmes is naturally an interesting character to read about and the mysteries with which he becomes involved are entertaining. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a fun collection of short adventures that any Holmes fan should read.

My only real complaint about the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they're not very realistic... I don't mean to say that I expect anything less than the fantastically bizarre cases Holmes takes on, that's fine. What I mean is that the people in need of Holmes' help don't act like normal people at all. Each of them show up at the famous 221B Baker Street address, tell Holmes they need help, and then proceed to divulge all possible details in the case in such a way that makes the case often instantly solved by the detective. As you're reading, if the character ever says 'I hardly dare to mention this because it seems so trivial', you know you're looking at the key to cracking the case. In reality, people would never mention what they consider trivial. The repetition of this got a bit annoying towards the end of the collection and made me wish that the great Sherlock Holmes had to do a bit more digging to get the details he needed.

Despite the extremely formulaic layout of each story, I still recommend that people sit down and read Holmes' adventures. They're fun, short, and sometimes quite interesting. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 23, 2017 |
This is an omnibus edition that includes A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. This was one of those books that I was wondering if I had read as a kid, but when I got into I found that I definitely had not. It's one that I kept by my bedside, reading a chapter - which was usually one case - at a time.

I did enjoy reading this collection of mysteries. The first mystery, A Study in Scarlet, was quite long and involved, and included a mini-story that took place in Utah and involved Mormons. I was really surprised by that, and as I started to read the section in Utah, I was pretty confused wondering what is this story doing here and how is it connected - even wondering if maybe my copy of this book was mis-printed! But then it started to make sense. I will say that Doyle treated the Mormons with a great deal of suspicion.

The second mystery, The Sign of the Four, was also long, involving 12 chapters. This was a pretty good mystery also, involving a back story of events in India.

The rest of this volume included 24 short mysteries. I liked some more than others, but I would say that they were all good. One thing about all of these stories is that you don't see everything that Sherlock sees, so you can't often solve the whole puzzle, but you can make some good guesses sometimes.

Out of the short stories, my favorites were The Red-Headed League, The Five Orange Pips, The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb, The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet, The Stockbroker's Clerk, The Musgrave Ritual and The Final Problem (introducing us to the infamous Professor Moriarty).

I enjoyed learning both about Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes - their particular idiosyncracies and such.

I definitely recommend this! ( )
  LisaMorr | Mar 1, 2011 |
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a series of short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle to be published in serial format in The Strand Magazine. They are each complete unto themself, so if you missed one you could still go out and get the next one without much of a bother. The character Sherlock Holmes became much beloved in England over this and people even wrote into the magazine asking if he was a real man (to which the editor gave a suitably vague response). Sherlock Holmes solves mysteries through logic and observation, and oftentimes just had to hear about a case to piece together what happened, he is famous for his large magnifying glass, his tall lanky figure, and of course his pipe. His is still the figure people think of when they think of a detective even today.

The plots are sometimes weak, but often intricate and they leave you guessing until the final plot twist at the end as to who did what and how. Occasionally you can guess early just what is going on but you still want to read on because you find you care about what happens to Holmes and Watson and whatever other innocents become involved in the case and you need to see what happens next! If you love mysteries you need to give this classic an honest try. It's highly readable, and well worth a go. You won't be disappointed. ( )
  exlibrisbitsy | Mar 5, 2010 |
It's no surprise this novel is a classic. What a writer!! The descriptions are spectacular, the stories engaging, and the characters very well developed. I look forward to reading the other Sherlock Holmes stories. ( )
  slarsoncollins | Dec 3, 2009 |

Contains

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Scandal in Bohemia [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Case of Identity [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Case of the Five Orange Pips [short story] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Speckled Band by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Man with the Twisted Lip [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Silver Blaze by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Yellow Face by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #3) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Gloria Scott by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes - The Musgrave Ritual by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Reigate Squire (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #6) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Crooked Man (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #7) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Naval Treaty by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Final Problem: Another Case for Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

I cinque misteri di Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual (indirect)

This omnibus volume--which contains the books A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--is the first of a three-volume set containing the complete Sherlock Holmes. It should not be combined with the original The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which contained only 12 short stories.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: A Definitive Text, corrected and Edited by Edgar W. Smith, With an Introduction by Vincent Starrett, . . ., first published in 1950 by the Heritage Press, an imprint of the George Macy Companies. It has been reproduced by The Easton Press as a title in the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written Series, and in 1981 as the first volume of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, 100th Anniversary Edition, and has also been issued as a Collector's Library edition. This edition contains two novels, A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four, and two short story collections, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. This edition should not be combined with the original The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which contained only 12 short stories.

Includes bibliographical references (p. 376).

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,464,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible