The Ice House by Minette Walters

The Ice House (1992)

by Minette Walters

English (17)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (19)
I finally finished! It took a lot of work and determination to get through, but the story finallly ended. Walters worked so hard to create plot twists and turns throughout the novel, that she lost sight of the story. It's a shame because her characters were interesting. She eventually found her way because the ending of her story was well-written. The beginning and the middle were not worth the read, though.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
10.14
  aletheia21 | Oct 18, 2015 |
The premise is wonderful - a corpse that defies identification, found in an unlikely, hardly detetable place - an ice house overgrown with brambles as to be unseen.
Very good character development combined with a stimulating plot. Amusing sexual innuendos abound and although this is my first book by Minette Walters, I have heard that this is one of her trademarks.

Included in the story are several subplots and one or two red herrings, as the author grips the reader with a literate and compelling narrative. We are not even sure if the 'good guys', in this case the three women accused of murder, are really as innocent as we'd like to believe.

My only criticism is that the denouement was presented in a way that seemed anti-climactic, and I had a premonition of the way it would end.
Still, a unique and compelling mystery that I enjoyed very much - I will definitely be reading more by Ms. Walters ( )
1 vote BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |
A man is found dead in an estate's ice house and the women who live there - members of a lesbian witch coven, according to village gossip - are the main suspects, until DS McLoughlin figures out that something is seriously awry, not only with the suspects, but with the victim and, indeed, with everyone else in the village. I did enjoy the mystery a lot, the characters are quite interesting and original, and the locale feels authentic. My problem was that I had a hard time rooting for any of the characters - McLoughlin did grow on me a little, but not enough. It's very good for a debut, though, so I wouldn't be opposed to trying Walters again, but I won't go looking. I do have to say that the audio version is read brilliantly by Simon Prebble, if you can ignore an iffy Scottish dialect. ( )
1 vote -Eva- | Feb 19, 2014 |
A very good murder mystery......and a smart commentary on small town life and making assumptions about people. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 3, 2013 |

Walters, Minetteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Albert, Susan Wittigsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carlsen, Arne-CarstenOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falger, LonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helms, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandberg-Ciletti, MechtildTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Revenge is a kind of wild justice, which the more man's nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out.
--Francis Bacon
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
And foolish notion.
--Robert Burns, "To a Louse"
To Alec
"Fred Phillips is running."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312951426, Mass Market Paperback)

With this stunning debut--a marvelous marriage of classic convention and contemporary sophistication--Minette Walters sets a new standard of excellence for the mystery novel.

The three women living in seclusion at an elegant Hampshire country house have long been fodder for village gossip...even whispers of a witches' coven. So when a faceless corpse of uncertain vintage is found in the Streech Grange ice house, Chief Inspector Walsh can't wait to make a case of it.

Lady of the manor Phoebe Maybury, still haunted by Walsh's relentless investigation of her husband's strange disappearance ten years ago, is calm. She and her two housemates--sensitive, charming artist Diana Goode and pretty, earthy Anne Cattrell--seem as puzzled as the police. But do they have something to hide?

While Walsh strives to nail Phoebe for murder, sexy young Detective Sergeant McLoughlin turns his attention to the exasperating and magnetic Anne. Soon his inquiry and his impulses will draw him into a tangled thicket of love, loyalty, and deadly intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

The people of Streech village had never trusted the three women living up at the Grange, not since Phoebe Maybury's husband suddenly vanished. Ten years later, a corpse is discovered in the grounds and Phoebe's nightmare begins.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible