Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Tropic of Cancer (original 1934; edition 1961)

by Henry Miller

Member:psiddhi
Title:Tropic of Cancer
Authors:Henry Miller
Info:Grove Press (1961), Edition: 7th Printing, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, In the day
Rating:*****

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller (1934)

Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (Mouseear)
    Factotum by Charles Bukowski (psybre)
    Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille (fundevogel)
    The Demon by Hubert Selby Jr. (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Filthy, sex-obsessed, unmistakably American, and characteristic lapses into stream of consciousness

English (77)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
I have no idea. I almost want that to be the only thing I say about this book, because really, I just... don't even know. It's so dirty—I don't mean the constant references to sex, though of course there are plenty of those, in the sense that I am pretty sure I will go through the next fifty years of my life without seeing the word "cunt" as many times as I did while reading this book—I mean that it's completely obsessed with everything being festering or fetid or rancid or fermented or seething or feverish, "saturated with perspiration and foul breaths," "the putrid sinks of the world, the charnel house to which the stinking wombs confide their bloody packages of flesh and bone." Everything is lice, maggots, cockroaches, vermin, vomit, blood, drool, urine, farts. Very occasionally there were places where I admired the writing, particularly the last page, which was so surprisingly beautiful given how raunchy the rest of it was. And there was this sentence somewhere in the middle, which was so high-school-English-class I couldn't even believe it:

"Black ocean bleeding and the brooding stars breeding chunks of fresh-swollen flesh while overhead the birds wheeled and out of the hallucinated sky fell the balance with mortar and pestle and the bandaged eyes of justice."

I felt most of the time like the words were slippery, and I forgot them as soon as I read them. There's story, and then all of a sudden it devolves into long, rambling philosophical passages and I'm not gonna lie, I had no idea what was going on half the time. I read it to have read it, and I'm glad I have now. I picked it in the first place because my co-workers posted this Which Banned Book Are You? quiz, and almost no matter what answers I chose, this was the result I got. I still don't know what to think about that.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
After 50 or so pages I was none the wiser as to what the author was trying to say. I have better things to do with my life than read something that seems to be going nowhere fast.

And this is supposed to be a modern classic?
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |
Brutally-honest, self-indulgent, and highly original book. A candid look inside this brilliant author's mind and life as a writer roaming Paris. Miller's prose could take you from the reality of being a penniless artist to the depths of his own lustrous desires. This is classic literature at its finest. Miller at its finest--provocative, bold, straight, ingenuous, misogynistic, and original. ( )
  erdmed | Jan 23, 2016 |
For a human being that seems to embrace every petty hatred and prejudice- Henry Miller is an amazing writer. He is almost everything that I love in the written word- the poetic drift into the abstract, the visceral sensory experience, the philosophic meanderings, the guttural tension of the prose. And he is an author that lets the ugly mix with the beautiful- with no apologies. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 15, 2016 |
The first time I read this, I was 16/17. I read it for all the reasons you'd imagine someone that age would read it. I didn't believe I was allowed to have an opinion at the time because I was wise enough to know I didn't know anything. Over the years, my brain has randomly conjured up scenes from this book--often enough to compel a reread. Orwell describes it best: "[A]nd even if parts of it disgust you, it will stick in your memory..." I was disgusted and I remembered it. ( )
  elka.gimpel | Dec 5, 2015 |

Henry Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
康雄, 大久保翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerhardt, RenateEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nin, AnaïsPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, KarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagenseil, KurtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These novels will give way, by and by, to diaries or autobiographies--captivating books, if only a man knew how to choose among what he calls his experiences that which is really his experience, and how to record truth truly. ---Ralph Waldo Emerson
I am living at the Villa Borghese.
I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive. A year ago, six months ago, I thought that I was an artist. I no longer think about it, I am. Everything that was literature has fallen from me. There are no more books to be written, thank God. This then? This is not a book. This is libel, slander, and defamation of character. This is not a book, in the ordinary sense of the word. No, this is a prolonged insult, a gob of spit in the face of Art, a kick in the pants of God, Man, Destiny, Time, Love, Beauty

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it: we must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and soul.

Autobiographical novel by Henry Miller, published in France in 1934 and, because of censorship, not published in the United States until 1961. Written in the tradition of Walt Whitman and Henry David Thoreau, it is a monologue about Miller's picaresque life as an impoverished expatriate in France in the early 1930s. The book benefited from favorable early critical response and gained popular notoriety later as a result of obscenity trials. Containing little plot on narrative, Tropic of Cancer is made up of anecdotes, philosophizing, and rambling celebrations of life. Despite his poverty, Miller extols his manner of living, unfettered as it is by moral and social conventions. He lives largely off the resources of his friends. In exuberant and sometimes preposterous passages of unusual sexual frankness, he chronicles numerous encounters with women, including his mysterious wife Mona, as he pursues a fascination with female sexuality. Tropic of Cancer was the first of an autobiographical trilogy, followed by Black Spring (1936) and Tropic of Capricorn (1939). (Review by The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature by way of Amazon)

A stream-of-consciousness story of a poverty-stricken young American, living in Paris.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible