Ulysses by James Joyce

Ulysses (1922)

by James Joyce

15,428211119 (4.06)4 / 1072
    The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Man Without Qualities (complete) by Robert Musil (roby72)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Dublinés by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce’s Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
    Milkbottle H by Gil Orlovitz (EnriqueFreeque)
    EnriqueFreeque: Similar kind of disjointed interiority with multiple pov's.
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    La Medusa by Vanessa Place (fuguette)
    fuguette: Place's work is a free-form experiment tracking the depraved, obsessive, unfiltered thoughts of her characters.
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch (thecoroner)
    Suttree by Cormac McCarthy (eereed)
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)

1920s (22)

English (194)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (208)
After having tried multiple times to read this book I decided to look at the reviews. I knew the book to be a masterpiece by repute and added it to my collection expecting to enjoy it. I've tried but I cannot see for a moment why this book has such a reputation. Having now read several reviews I see that I am hardly alone in the determination that this book is as useful as a paper-weight. Going to move on to something else. For those who chose to attempt it, good luck. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
This is hell on Earth. I can't even rate it because I had zero desire to read it, which made it a downright torturous experience. I read it for a class with my trusty Ulysses reader in tow, and would not have survived otherwise. Who are you lunatics who enjoyed this? ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
Well, I tried but I have to declare that I am abandoning my attempt to read Ulysses. I gave it a good go, 200 pages (well over my usual 100 page limit), but I've come to realise that I JUST DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS. Reading it has become a chore, and reading should NEVER be a chore.

Maybe the mistake I've made has been to read the thing while sober,because it dawned on me that the whole thing is like the ramblings of a drunk in a bar. (Given the legends surrounding Joyce and his penchant for booze it's not a huge leap to suggest that that is exactly what this book is.)

Anyway, while on the one hand I feel a certain degree of failure at not being able to see this thing through, there is also the relief in knowing that I don't have to read it ANYMORE. ( )
  jll1976 | Feb 27, 2015 |
The three books I was told to never admit loving are Ulysses, In Search of Lost Time, and Gravity's Rainbow.

First review: http://andalittlewine.blogspot.com/2013/10/ulysses-first-thoughts-on-second-read...

Second review: http://andalittlewine.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-ulysses-by-james-joyces.html ( )
  jscape2000 | Feb 1, 2015 |
The book is the story of Leopold Bloom, a middle aged married man, father of one adult daughter who spends one day wandering around Dublin. We also meet Stephen Dedalus a young university graduate, want to be author and current educator of young men. Much of the story is told by internal dialogue (stream of consciousness) as the characters travel the streets of Dublin. It is really a story of paternity. Leopold thinks about his dead son. Stephen thinks about his conflicted relationship with his father and Leopold takes on a surrogate father relationship with Stephan. Other stories include infidelity of Bloom's wife Molly. If the story was only that simple. Joyce uses the book Odysseus to form the segments of the book and each segment is a whole new and sometimes not very enjoyable experience. I won't bother to describe because you can read Jen's review (excellent) or go through the questions and get an idea of each section but I agree that this book is best enjoyed if taken on as a project and not a reading experience. It takes work but it can be rewarding. I like the aspect of working at something. Reminds me of researching and studying which I enjoyed. I am glad I read the book. It would have been very controversial at the time with its sexual content (mostly just words) but it does not feel gratuitous like so many books. I give it 4 stars because I did enjoy it and I appreciated the genius of the author but I also felt that Joyce was also flaunting his intelligence towards the readers. The person who deserves 5 stars is the narrator of this audible work. Jim Norton did a splendid job of reading this book. It took work because you can't just read this book and know when to sing, when to give certain styles to the words. What a marvelous job. Marcella Riordan does the voice of Molly. A steady stream of consciousness without much pause or change. Marcella's part does nothing to endear you to Molly. ( )
  Kristelh | Jan 29, 2015 |
A few intuitive, sensitive visionaries may understand and comprehend "Ulysses," James Joyce's new and mammoth volume, without going through a course of training or instruction, but the average intelligent reader will glean little or nothing from it- even from careful perusal, one might properly say study, of it- save bewilderment and a sense of disgust. It should be companioned with a key and a glossary like the Berlitz books. Then the attentive and diligent reader would eventually get some comprehension of Mr. Joyce's message.

For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

James Joyceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Bloom ( [2003]IMDb)
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722769, Paperback)

Ulysses has been labeled dirty, blasphemous, and unreadable. In a famous 1933 court decision, Judge John M. Woolsey declared it an emetic book--although he found it sufficiently unobscene to allow its importation into the United States--and Virginia Woolf was moved to decry James Joyce's "cloacal obsession." None of these adjectives, however, do the slightest justice to the novel. To this day it remains the modernist masterpiece, in which the author takes both Celtic lyricism and vulgarity to splendid extremes. It is funny, sorrowful, and even (in a close-focus sort of way) suspenseful. And despite the exegetical industry that has sprung up in the last 75 years, Ulysses is also a compulsively readable book. Even the verbal vaudeville of the final chapters can be navigated with relative ease, as long as you're willing to be buffeted, tickled, challenged, and (occasionally) vexed by Joyce's sheer command of the English language.

Among other things, a novel is simply a long story, and the first question about any story is: What happens?. In the case of Ulysses, the answer might be Everything. William Blake, one of literature's sublime myopics, saw the universe in a grain of sand. Joyce saw it in Dublin, Ireland, on June 16, 1904, a day distinguished by its utter normality. Two characters, Stephen Dedalus and Leopold Bloom, go about their separate business, crossing paths with a gallery of indelible Dubliners. We watch them teach, eat, stroll the streets, argue, and (in Bloom's case) masturbate. And thanks to the book's stream-of-consciousness technique--which suggests no mere stream but an impossibly deep, swift-running river--we're privy to their thoughts, emotions, and memories. The result? Almost every variety of human experience is crammed into the accordian folds of a single day, which makes Ulysses not just an experimental work but the very last word in realism.

Both characters add their glorious intonations to the music of Joyce's prose. Dedalus's accent--that of a freelance aesthetician, who dabbles here and there in what we might call Early Yeats Lite--will be familiar to readers of Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man. But Bloom's wistful sensualism (and naive curiosity) is something else entirely. Seen through his eyes, a rundown corner of a Dublin graveyard is a figure for hope and hopelessness, mortality and dogged survival: "Mr Bloom walked unheeded along his grove by saddened angels, crosses, broken pillars, family vaults, stone hopes praying with upcast eyes, old Ireland's hearts and hands. More sensible to spend the money on some charity for the living. Pray for the repose of the soul of. Does anybody really?" --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:51 -0400)

This account of several lower class citizens of Dublin describes their activities and tells what some of them were thinking one day in 1904.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,142,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible