Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Ulysses by James Joyce

Ulysses (1922)

by James Joyce

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
15,821215112 (4.06)4 / 1117
  1. 261
    The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
  2. 190
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
  3. 80
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
  4. 60
    The Man Without Qualities (complete) by Robert Musil (roby72)
  5. 104
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
  6. 40
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
  7. 41
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
  8. 52
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
  9. 10
    Dublinés by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
  10. 10
    The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce’s Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
  11. 10
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
  12. 10
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
  13. 21
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
  14. 10
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
  15. 21
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
  16. 00
    The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch (thecoroner)
  17. 00
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
  18. 00
    Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay (charlie68, charlie68)
    charlie68: Book has section on Modernism in literature that includes a section on Ulysses.
    charlie68: A section deals in criticism of James Joyce and specifically Ulysses.
  19. 00
    La Medusa by Vanessa Place (fuguette)
    fuguette: Place's work is a free-form experiment tracking the depraved, obsessive, unfiltered thoughts of her characters.
  20. 00
    Milkbottle H by Gil Orlovitz (EnriqueFreeque)
    EnriqueFreeque: Similar kind of disjointed interiority with multiple pov's.

(see all 26 recommendations)

1920s (22)
1910s (58)

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (201)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (215)
Showing 1-5 of 201 (next | show all)
Joyce, 1904'te Nora Barnacle adında bir genç kadınla tanışmıştı. (Nora Barnacle ile 1931'de, evliliğe karşı olmasına rağmen, kızının ısrarları üzerine evlendi.) Ulysses, Joyce'un kendi anlatımıyla Nora Barnacle'ı sevdiğini anladığı gün olan 16 Haziran 1904 günü Dublin'de geçer. (Romanın asıl kahramanı bir bakıma Dublin kentidir. Her yıl 16 Haziran günü Dublin'de düzenlenen "Bloomsday" yani Bloomgünü'nde, kitaptaki bölümlerde geçen yerlerin dolaşıldığı turlar düzenlenmektedir.) Konu, özünde son derece yalındır: Öğrenci Stephen Dedalus ile serbest çalışan Yahudi asıllı bir reklam toplayıcısı olan Leopold Bloom'un karşılaş(tırıl)maları. Ancak asıl anlatılan, bu iki kişinin bireysel kimliklerini aşan daha büyük bir gerçeğin parçası olduklarıdır: Stephen "sanatsal" doğanın, Bloom ise "bilimsel" doğanın temsilcileridir. Öte yandan, bu iki dışlanmış kişilik, hem Joyce hem de birbirleri için de özel bir öneme sahiptirler: Stephen, Joyce'un gençliğinin, Bloom ise olgunluğunun yansımalarıdır; Bloom, Stephen'ın, deyim yerindeyse, "manevi babası"dır vb. Ama kitabın edebiyat açısından asıl önemi, çatısının Homeros'un destanı Odysseia ile simgesel koşutluğundan ve Joyce'un kullandığı değişik teknik ve biçemlerden, özellikle de 18. ve son bölümde Bloom'un karısı Molly'nin düşüncelerinin yansıtıldığı "bilinç akışı"ndan gelir.

Ulysses, yılar boyunca, kimine birkaç kez olmak üzere, Fransızca, Almanca, İtalyanca gibi bellibaşlı dillere, bu arada Çince gibi "uzak" dillere de çevrildi; üzerine onlarca kitap yazıldı. Türk okuru ise, şimdiye kadar ancak, içlerinde özellikle Doğu ve Uzakdoğu gizemciliği ve Geştalt terapisi üzerine çeviri vb. etkinliklerinden tanıdığımız Nevzat Erkmen'in de bulunduğu, bir iki çevirmenin, deyim yerindeyse "cüret ettiği" deneme niteliğindeki "parça" çevirileriyle yetinmek zorunda kalmıştı. Kitabın "tam ve tekmil" çeviri serüveni, 1991'de Yapı Kredi Yayınları Kâzım Taşkent Klasik Yapıtlar Dizisi'nin kurulmasıyla başladı. Ulysses, danışma kurulunun dizide yayımlanmak için ilk seçtiği kitaplar arasındaydı. Yarışmaya gönderilen deneme çevirelerinden Nevzat Erkmen'in çevirisi yayımlanmak için uygun bulundu ve Nevzat Erkmen yoğun bir şekilde çalışmaya başladı (1992). Dört yıl süren zorlu bir uğraştan sonra, geçtiğimiz aylarda biten çeviri, Enis Batur'un da redaksiyonundan geçtikten sonra yayımlanmaya hazır duruma geldi. Kitap, Enis Batur'un "Joyce'un Kulesi" başlıklı "Ön-Söz"ü ve "1992'de Bir 'Ulysses', 1984'te Bir Başka 'Ulysses'" başlıklı "Arka-Söz"ü ile sunuluyor. Böylece, Nevzat Erkmen'in kitabı yazdığı "Çevirmenin Sözü"nde söylediği gibi: "Joyce'un ulusesi" nihayet Türkçede...
(Tanıtım Bülteninden)
  Cagatay | Nov 4, 2015 |
I was 18 or so. Should I add anything? ( )
  sturmer | Oct 25, 2015 |

I had read this many many years ago, on a train from Tuscany to Calais in the days before the Channel Tunnel (either in 1989 or in 1990). Since then I've got much more into modernist literature, which I think meant that I got a lot more out of it. It's still necessary to have some notes to hand to explain just what the heck is going on, and perhaps that's a problem in taking it as a novel rather than a textbook. But I found I enjoyed it more, and I think not only because I am twice as old now as I was the previous time.

Some particular highlights: I love the Scylla and Charybdis scene in the National Library, partly because I have spent time there myself, and I've also handled letters from Richard Best (who famously told the BBC years later that he was a real person, not a character in some dirty book). I had forgotten how brutal the depiction of the Citizen in the Cyclops episode is, especially bearing in mind that the basis of the character is Michael Cusack. And I'd forgotten how lyrical and sexy Molly Bloom's soliloquy is at the end (I guess when I was reading it the first time I had been on a train all night, and had stopped concentrating). On the other hand, I found the Wandering Rocks and Sirens episodes boring and confusing, and the Oxen of the Sun episode doesn't quite deliver (ho, ho) on its promise.

My doctoral thesis was on Irish scientists of the 1890-1930 period, which of course Ulysses fits into very nicely. I was struck by just how often astronomy and astronomers are invoked - Sir Robert Ball, who I once wrote an essay about, actually appears in person in a dream sequence, and his books are mentioned several times, as is his successor in Dunsink, Charles J Joly. (I have even been invoked by Joyce scholars.) I don't think Joyce is making any grand points about literature and science; it's just that astronomy was an important part of popular culture, then as now.

It's also interesting just how long a shadow the May 1882 Phoenix Park murders cast over the story. Joyce would have been three months old at the time, and can therefore have had no personal memory of the events, but I guess for the generation who grew up in Ireland between then and 1916 it was their JFK moment - complete with conspiracy theories, and with the extra thrill of surviving, identifiable, well-known accomplices to the assassination.

Anyway, I shall probably read it again, and maybe I won't leave it another quarter of a century to do so. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 12, 2015 |
A good but I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone. A literary work as a triathlon, demands a lot of the reader. At 800 pages plus it takes patience to stick with and then finish this work. At times coarse and at others heavenly lyrical. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 30, 2015 |
A day in the life of an Irishman, whose wife has the last word;-) A classic book. Joyce was a (or perhaps THE) innovator of stream of consciousness. Must reading for literate English-speakers. (I read and have a much earlier edition of this book.I assume the Create Space edition is the same.) ( )
  S_Trenti | Jul 11, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 201 (next | show all)
A few intuitive, sensitive visionaries may understand and comprehend "Ulysses," James Joyce's new and mammoth volume, without going through a course of training or instruction, but the average intelligent reader will glean little or nothing from it- even from careful perusal, one might properly say study, of it- save bewilderment and a sense of disgust. It should be companioned with a key and a glossary like the Berlitz books. Then the attentive and diligent reader would eventually get some comprehension of Mr. Joyce's message.
For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)
During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

» Add other authors (61 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkel, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bindervoet, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandt, MatthiasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clever, EdithNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Angelis, GiulioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deutschmann, HeikkoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dewey, Kenneth FrancisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ellmann, RichardPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, Morris L.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabler, Hans WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hülsmann, IngoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henkes, Robbert-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, JeriEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenner, HughIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klaußner, BurghartNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koch, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kogge, ImogenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehto, LeeviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallafrè, JoaquimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matic, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthes, UlrichNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melchior, ClausEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Milberg, AxelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noethen, UlrichNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rois, SophieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samel, UdoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüttauf, JörgNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steppe, WolfhardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tellegen, ToonAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thalbach, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollschläger, HansÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolsey, John M.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zischler, HannsNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by


Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Information from the Finnish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Bloom ( [2003]IMDb)
Awards and honors
First words
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
Haiku summary
Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722769, Paperback)

Ulysses has been labeled dirty, blasphemous, and unreadable. In a famous 1933 court decision, Judge John M. Woolsey declared it an emetic book--although he found it sufficiently unobscene to allow its importation into the United States--and Virginia Woolf was moved to decry James Joyce's "cloacal obsession." None of these adjectives, however, do the slightest justice to the novel. To this day it remains the modernist masterpiece, in which the author takes both Celtic lyricism and vulgarity to splendid extremes. It is funny, sorrowful, and even (in a close-focus sort of way) suspenseful. And despite the exegetical industry that has sprung up in the last 75 years, Ulysses is also a compulsively readable book. Even the verbal vaudeville of the final chapters can be navigated with relative ease, as long as you're willing to be buffeted, tickled, challenged, and (occasionally) vexed by Joyce's sheer command of the English language.

Among other things, a novel is simply a long story, and the first question about any story is: What happens?. In the case of Ulysses, the answer might be Everything. William Blake, one of literature's sublime myopics, saw the universe in a grain of sand. Joyce saw it in Dublin, Ireland, on June 16, 1904, a day distinguished by its utter normality. Two characters, Stephen Dedalus and Leopold Bloom, go about their separate business, crossing paths with a gallery of indelible Dubliners. We watch them teach, eat, stroll the streets, argue, and (in Bloom's case) masturbate. And thanks to the book's stream-of-consciousness technique--which suggests no mere stream but an impossibly deep, swift-running river--we're privy to their thoughts, emotions, and memories. The result? Almost every variety of human experience is crammed into the accordian folds of a single day, which makes Ulysses not just an experimental work but the very last word in realism.

Both characters add their glorious intonations to the music of Joyce's prose. Dedalus's accent--that of a freelance aesthetician, who dabbles here and there in what we might call Early Yeats Lite--will be familiar to readers of Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man. But Bloom's wistful sensualism (and naive curiosity) is something else entirely. Seen through his eyes, a rundown corner of a Dublin graveyard is a figure for hope and hopelessness, mortality and dogged survival: "Mr Bloom walked unheeded along his grove by saddened angels, crosses, broken pillars, family vaults, stone hopes praying with upcast eyes, old Ireland's hearts and hands. More sensible to spend the money on some charity for the living. Pray for the repose of the soul of. Does anybody really?" --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:10 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

This account of several lower class citizens of Dublin describes their activities and tells what some of them were thinking one day in 1904.

» see all 16 descriptions

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Quick Links

Popular covers


Average: (4.06)
0.5 14
1 113
1.5 3
2 119
2.5 30
3 236
3.5 59
4 492
4.5 101
5 1029


14 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

» Publisher information page

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page


Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible