Ulysses by James Joyce

Ulysses (1922)

by James Joyce

15,013196129 (4.08)4 / 1000
1920s (58)
    The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Man Without Qualities (complete) by Robert Musil (roby72)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    Dublinés by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (kara.shamy)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: Similar -- almost unique really -- in their tremendous breadth and depth...
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    Milkbottle H by Gil Orlovitz (EnriqueFreeque)
    EnriqueFreeque: Similar kind of disjointed interiority with multiple pov's.
    La Medusa by Vanessa Place (fuguette)
    fuguette: Place's work is a free-form experiment tracking the depraved, obsessive, unfiltered thoughts of her characters.
    The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch (thecoroner)

English (183)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (196)
This review is on the Gabler edition.

[b:James Joyce's Ulysses|338798|Ulysses|James Joyce|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173877044s/338798.jpg|2368224] is the defining novel of the 20th century, and all readers of English owe it to themselves to read it at least once in their lifetimes. So there.

Why? For one thing, it's a remarkable portrait of Dublin and its people in the early 20th century. For another, Joyce, like Shakespeare, has the talent of capturing in words some very common (not to say universal) human feelings, tendencies, and behaviors. Furthermore, he works very hard to reproduce the ways in which our thoughts actually work--how they come to us, how they mutate, how they are expressed. Consider Gerty MacDowell thinking about her "drawers," which leads her to enumerate both the contents of her dresser drawers and the numbers of cute pairs of underwear she owns. How often have you found your own thoughts doing that kind of segue? (My answer: all the time!)

Furthermore, Joyce writes large what many of the modernists only experimented at on a smaller scale: the refocusing of artistic mimesis on the workings of human thought rather than simply human behavior and external realism.

And finally, it's just a good story. And, if you ever think you might make the frightening plunge into Joyce's last novel, Finnegans Wake, reading Ulysses is a worthwhile preparation.

Be prepare to be changed, changed utterly (apologies to Yeats). ( )
  Jujunna | Jul 25, 2014 |
I haven't read this since college, more than 50 years ago. I remember the beginning and the end and not much in between. Difficult reading, but worth it. I read the book due to Kevin Birmingham's book on the publication history of Ulysses. ( )
  annbury | Jul 23, 2014 |
A seminal work, yes. Gems in the text, yes. Poetry in motion, yes. Enjoyable read, no.

I got lots of great advice when tackling this book: friends let me borrow their annotations; some suggested to simultaneously read and listen to audio; while others recommended to just "let go" and "submit" to the text. I tried to do all three, and am halfway through, and am lost as hell. I want to read challenging pieces, but this is outside my literary knowledge--or caring. I was an art major, not a lit major, and feel that if you don't have in-depth lit knowledge re iambic pentameters or verse and an understanding Old English, this book may be un-doable.

However, trying is never a waste, I did get a sense of the Joycean style of writing, which is pretty damn spectacular. There is a free association among those passages, often relating to the most mundane activities, that makes it feel that you were participating. And yet, grounded in those inane activities is the passage of life, death, love, class, Shakespeare, Vedic texts, Celtic history, and of course, the Odyssey itself.

Perhaps I will return to this text in the summer when I take my week long beach vacation, and pray have no distractions. Somewhere in there is the finish line, but I may not cross it. ( )
  kbullfrog | Jun 17, 2014 |
A seminal book for me. ( )
  RichPierce | May 2, 2014 |
Yes. 'Unreadable' comes to mind. But I was listening to it on audio and I -still- couldn't stand it. I like to think I'm cosmopolitan in my reading and that I don't dismiss books because they're 'hard'.

But this book seems to be nothing but free association. Definitely there are some beautiful 'word matches' but there is little to nothing else to give it any substance or ... anything.

25% into the book and I know it's a no-go. At least for the near future. Gah!! ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A few intuitive, sensitive visionaries may understand and comprehend "Ulysses," James Joyce's new and mammoth volume, without going through a course of training or instruction, but the average intelligent reader will glean little or nothing from it- even from careful perusal, one might properly say study, of it- save bewilderment and a sense of disgust. It should be companioned with a key and a glossary like the Berlitz books. Then the attentive and diligent reader would eventually get some comprehension of Mr. Joyce's message.

For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

James Joyceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollschläger, HansÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolsey, John M.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zischler, HannsNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Bloom ( [2003]IMDb)
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722769, Paperback)

Ulysses has been labeled dirty, blasphemous, and unreadable. In a famous 1933 court decision, Judge John M. Woolsey declared it an emetic book--although he found it sufficiently unobscene to allow its importation into the United States--and Virginia Woolf was moved to decry James Joyce's "cloacal obsession." None of these adjectives, however, do the slightest justice to the novel. To this day it remains the modernist masterpiece, in which the author takes both Celtic lyricism and vulgarity to splendid extremes. It is funny, sorrowful, and even (in a close-focus sort of way) suspenseful. And despite the exegetical industry that has sprung up in the last 75 years, Ulysses is also a compulsively readable book. Even the verbal vaudeville of the final chapters can be navigated with relative ease, as long as you're willing to be buffeted, tickled, challenged, and (occasionally) vexed by Joyce's sheer command of the English language.

Among other things, a novel is simply a long story, and the first question about any story is: What happens?. In the case of Ulysses, the answer might be Everything. William Blake, one of literature's sublime myopics, saw the universe in a grain of sand. Joyce saw it in Dublin, Ireland, on June 16, 1904, a day distinguished by its utter normality. Two characters, Stephen Dedalus and Leopold Bloom, go about their separate business, crossing paths with a gallery of indelible Dubliners. We watch them teach, eat, stroll the streets, argue, and (in Bloom's case) masturbate. And thanks to the book's stream-of-consciousness technique--which suggests no mere stream but an impossibly deep, swift-running river--we're privy to their thoughts, emotions, and memories. The result? Almost every variety of human experience is crammed into the accordian folds of a single day, which makes Ulysses not just an experimental work but the very last word in realism.

Both characters add their glorious intonations to the music of Joyce's prose. Dedalus's accent--that of a freelance aesthetician, who dabbles here and there in what we might call Early Yeats Lite--will be familiar to readers of Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man. But Bloom's wistful sensualism (and naive curiosity) is something else entirely. Seen through his eyes, a rundown corner of a Dublin graveyard is a figure for hope and hopelessness, mortality and dogged survival: "Mr Bloom walked unheeded along his grove by saddened angels, crosses, broken pillars, family vaults, stone hopes praying with upcast eyes, old Ireland's hearts and hands. More sensible to spend the money on some charity for the living. Pray for the repose of the soul of. Does anybody really?" --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:51 -0400)

This account of several lower class citizens of Dublin describes their activities and tells what some of them were thinking one day in 1904.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Fourteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,360,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible