Ulysses by James Joyce

Ulysses (original 1922; edition 2005)

by James Joyce, Kip Keller (Dust Jacket Copy)

18,887264131 (4.03)4 / 1330
Presents a recording of the novel which describes the adventures and exploits of Leopold Bloom as he wanders through Dublin on a single day, June 16, 1904. Set within the context of Homer's Odyssey, Joyce uses stream of consciousness as a literary device to illuminate the internal thoughts of Bloom, his wife, Molly, and other assorted characters.… (more)
Member:jimcripps
Title:Ulysses
Authors:James Joyce
Other authors:Kip Keller (Dust Jacket Copy)
Info:Ann Arbor Media Group (2005), Edition: Facsimile, Hardcover, 732 pages
Tags:Ireland, Bloomsday

Ulysses by James Joyce (1922)

The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil (roby72)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    Omeros by Derek Walcott (TheLittlePhrase)
    The most dangerous book: the battle for James Joyce's Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
    James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    La Medusa by Vanessa Place (fuguette)
    fuguette: Place's work is a free-form experiment tracking the depraved, obsessive, unfiltered thoughts of her characters.
    Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay (charlie68, charlie68)
    charlie68: Book has section on Modernism in literature that includes a section on Ulysses.
    charlie68: A section deals in criticism of James Joyce and specifically Ulysses.
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Othemts)
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)

1920s (12)
Europe (145)
Books (73)

English (240)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (264)
"An international team of scholars....corrects almost 5,000 omissions, transpositions and other errors included in previous editions of the seminal 20th-century novel....James Joyce estate, took seven years to complete the new edition - the same length of time it took Joyce to write his...manuscript...Their project was aided by a grant of about $300,000..." -NYT

As of 2019 the back story discrepancy and many others haven't been addressed...most of those upon earth, will mislead you: http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/ 🕐 🕑 🕒 🕓 🕔 🕕 🕖
  AAAO | Nov 15, 2019 |
Never again ( )
  alexrichman | Oct 16, 2019 |
6stars? 100? My favorite book? Kinda. The book I've read the most? Definitely. This is a book you can read 10, 20 times and get something new out of it each time. There are dozens of books written about this book, and they add something too, but the thing itself is (really) thoroughly enjoyable. Still shocking in form after all these years, this is as good as a novel can be. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
After toiling away at this book for the last several months, I thought I should write something here. I took the liberty of reading the Cliff's Notes of this book at the same time, reading one chapter of Ulysses and then reading the corresponding chapter in the notes. I did this because 1) I'm not Irish, 2) I didn't live in Dublin in the early 1900s, and 3) I don't have the Odyssey memorized. Without the notes I would have gotten almost nothing out of the book, but with the notes I barely still understand it. The Notes makes it pretty apparent that reading his other works would have filled in some of the backstory, so I was at a disadvantage from the start. With classics, I always try to see what made the work a classic, but with Ulysses it's hard to see. The work was groundbreaking in the themes it brought up that never had been discussed so thoroughly before in literature, namely women's sexuality (it was banned in every English speaking country for obscenity, and for over a decade in the United States), but aside from that it's hard to see why it's a classic, let alone considered the best English-speaking novel of the 20th century by the Modern Library. Joyce was no doubt a literary genius, but those 783 pages belie its true length. The last chapter alone is 40 pages consisting of one sentence, without any punctuation save the final period. Groundbreaking? Yes. Enjoyable? No.

The final thing I takeaway from this book is that I am certain that I will never encounter another work that is so difficult to read for as long as I live. ( )
  Terrencee | May 8, 2019 |
Instead of reading the paper book I listened to the audio version (unabriged). I must say, that I didn't really find in the book what the blurp was telling me about it. Maybe because I'm not familiar with the place the setting is in, maybe I missed things that were vital to understand the book and it's setting.
I'm not fond of this one. Happy to be done with it! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 20, 2019 |
For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Bloom ( [2003]IMDb)
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.
Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.

Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible