Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3) by…

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Richelle Mead

Member:aaker
Title:Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3)
Authors:Richelle Mead
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

English (105)  German (1)  All languages (106)
Teenage Romance meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Teenage Romance meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Decent final act. The first two-thirds anyone could predict completely, which made it slightly boring. The premise that is set up for the next book is worth it. This is what I call popcorn fiction; it's entertaining enough to kill a couple of hours but that's about it. ( )
  SENSpence | Jul 31, 2014 |
Read this review and more at http://classycatbooks.wordpress.com.

Man, I was not prepared for that when I started this book. I need to stop reading Richelle Mead at certain times of the month, if you catch my drift. She always manages a hell of an emotional roller coaster. Though not as intense as the Georgina Kincaid series was (for me at least), I’m still always impressed. Whenever I pick up one of Mead’s books, I walk away from it feeling like I’ve just accomplished something—that warm, fuzzy feeling that comes from finishing a good book. But it’s also tinged with a heavy dose of melancholy because I feel so deeply for the characters in the novel.

Even more impressive is the fact that I don’t like Rose, and I still feel this deep of an emotional connection with her. And for some reason, even though I dislike her for most of the novel, I still always end up loving her by the end. This is officially becoming a trend in this series.

That emotion is something that makes being a good writer so hard. How do you elicit such a strong reaction from your reader simply by the words you put on the paper? A lot of it has to do with strength of character, but as I mentioned, I don’t actually like Rose, not yet anyway. This is evidence that it’s much more about believability. You have to make your readers believe in the characters, believe in the world they live in, and believe in the motivations of the entire plot. Without belief in all of those aspects, a tragic scene isn’t really all that moving. Tragedy alone does not an emotional scene make. Otherwise the world would be full of phenomenal writers.

I do think that this book will be a turning point in the series for me. I’ve been on the edge before with this series — I didn’t like the first book much at all, the second left me feeling, well, like there was potential but it hadn’t been realized yet. But not only is a turning point in Rose’s life, but the macro plot of the series has taken us deeper, and the world now has more definition than ever before. The tension between the Strigoi and Moroi seems more real now, and the concepts of these kinds of vampires is growing on me. Some of the supporting characters have gained new depths for me, and some of the characters that had been mentioned in the background but never really presented are finally real. I had a similar trend with the Georgina Kincaid series, which I now rank as one of my favorite overall series ever. Needless to say, I have high hopes for the rest of these books. ( )
  lizabarrett | Jul 14, 2014 |
The best one yet, broke my heart in a few places, funny to boot, and so so addictive, roll on Blood Promise. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
That's right, I gave a Vampire Academy book three stars.

Why?

Because it was very entertaining.

Did I laugh at the most inappropriate times?

Of course, it's a Vampire Academy novel.

Shadow Kiss was the book I was waiting for. All of the potential I saw in the mythology of the first two books were finally realized in this third installment. In fact, I believed I should have started with this one and disregarded the other two. Thanks to Mead's recaps, I would not have been lost at all.

What I Liked:
Rose Hathaway: Finally, I wasn't annoyed with her and it actually felt as if she grew up from the unintentionally hilarious events of Frostbite. I love when my protagonist goes crazy. It's always entertaining.

The Crazy Bond: The adverse effects of the Lissa-Rose bond is Crazy with a capital C. But also, intense feelings like anger. It was interesting to see Rose rage and nearly beat that poor kid to death. Also, hilarious.

Christian and Adrian: These guys get the award for Most Improved Character in Yet Another Teen Vampire Novel. Christian, while he called Rose out on her bull, was so unlikable I would inwardly roll my eyes when he appeared on the page.

In Shadow Kiss, he was snarky and sarcastic but funny and understanding. I was shocked but not as shocked as Adrian. I considered him to be a smoking, drinking piece of wallpaper. But here, he was funny, perceptive, and endearing. Holy Crap Mead! Color me baffled!

The Shocking and unintentionally hilarious Reveal: I called it since Mead is as subtle with foreshadowing as a bull in a china shop but when it was revealed and I stopped laughing, I thought it was pretty cool.

What I didn't Liked:
Vampire Academy Fight Club: What the hell was that anyway? That crap made no sense. It was only used as a plot device to explain why the Strigoi were able to get through the Academy's Wards. Even that didn't make sense and was a definite reach.

Dimitri/Rose: The world's most boring relationship. Even when things moved forward, I still felt sleepy. Dimitri's very boring. I'm all for Team Adrian though.

The Back Pedal: This did not happened but this is a prediction. Since what happen happened and that there are two more books in this series; I feel that Mead is going to back pedal and is going to find a contrived way to get out of the situation. Perhaps, I'm wrong and Mead will actually have the cojones to stay the course.

I am so glad this was ridiculously fast read. When I saw it was over 440 pages; I nearly died. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
I keep thinking this series is going to start losing steam but instead, it keeps getting better! And it was already good to begin with! I am so impressed!
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |

Richelle Meadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nephews, Jordan and Austin
His fingertips slid along my back, applying hardly any pressure, yet sending shock waves over my flesh.

While Rose is coping with the darker effects of being shadow-kissed, her relationship with Dimitri is finally taking off, and when he disappears during a Strigoi attack on St. Vladimir's Academy, she must make a terrible choice.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible