Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3) by…

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Richelle Mead

3,2081081,733 (4.35)40
Title:Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3)
Authors:Richelle Mead
Info:Razorbill (2008), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

English (108)  German (1)  All languages (109)
The Good: I really enjoyed the entirely of Rose questioning her own sanity. The way it was effecting her ability to perform up to her usual standards put her on the same playing field as some of the other students. It also made her more relatable. She's no longer only tough, rule breaking, does what she want girl. She's growing to consider others, and not just Lissa. She's finally getting some real answers with Dimitri and honestly, that's a huge part of my love for this book. We so needed progress in that area.

The Bad: The ending left me annoyed. Yes, it does it's job of making me need to know what will happen. But it just felt wrong. Out of left field, and not in a wow what a shock type of way. Also, this book was really long. Much longer than it needed to be. We rehashed the past over and over when a vague bit and here and there would have done fine. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 29, 2015 |
I love this series so much it's actually surprising!!! I will say, I knew what was going to happen in the end and I found reading it that it was really sort of boring and weirdly handled and I didn't feel anything because it wasn't done the way I wanted it to be done like it was just really not emotional. I am also sort of mad about where the next 1-3 books are headed but I still love this series none the less. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Another awesome book in this series and with the same heart-wrenching effect as the last book. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  RCW | Apr 8, 2015 |
Teenage Romance meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Teenage Romance meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Decent final act. The first two-thirds anyone could predict completely, which made it slightly boring. The premise that is set up for the next book is worth it. This is what I call popcorn fiction; it's entertaining enough to kill a couple of hours but that's about it. ( )
  SENSpence | Jul 31, 2014 |
Read this review and more at http://classycatbooks.wordpress.com.

Man, I was not prepared for that when I started this book. I need to stop reading Richelle Mead at certain times of the month, if you catch my drift. She always manages a hell of an emotional roller coaster. Though not as intense as the Georgina Kincaid series was (for me at least), I’m still always impressed. Whenever I pick up one of Mead’s books, I walk away from it feeling like I’ve just accomplished something—that warm, fuzzy feeling that comes from finishing a good book. But it’s also tinged with a heavy dose of melancholy because I feel so deeply for the characters in the novel.

Even more impressive is the fact that I don’t like Rose, and I still feel this deep of an emotional connection with her. And for some reason, even though I dislike her for most of the novel, I still always end up loving her by the end. This is officially becoming a trend in this series.

That emotion is something that makes being a good writer so hard. How do you elicit such a strong reaction from your reader simply by the words you put on the paper? A lot of it has to do with strength of character, but as I mentioned, I don’t actually like Rose, not yet anyway. This is evidence that it’s much more about believability. You have to make your readers believe in the characters, believe in the world they live in, and believe in the motivations of the entire plot. Without belief in all of those aspects, a tragic scene isn’t really all that moving. Tragedy alone does not an emotional scene make. Otherwise the world would be full of phenomenal writers.

I do think that this book will be a turning point in the series for me. I’ve been on the edge before with this series — I didn’t like the first book much at all, the second left me feeling, well, like there was potential but it hadn’t been realized yet. But not only is a turning point in Rose’s life, but the macro plot of the series has taken us deeper, and the world now has more definition than ever before. The tension between the Strigoi and Moroi seems more real now, and the concepts of these kinds of vampires is growing on me. Some of the supporting characters have gained new depths for me, and some of the characters that had been mentioned in the background but never really presented are finally real. I had a similar trend with the Georgina Kincaid series, which I now rank as one of my favorite overall series ever. Needless to say, I have high hopes for the rest of these books. ( )
  lizabarrett | Jul 14, 2014 |

Richelle Meadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dragoon, LeighAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nephews, Jordan and Austin
His fingertips slid along my back, applying hardly any pressure, yet sending shock waves over my flesh.

While Rose is coping with the darker effects of being shadow-kissed, her relationship with Dimitri is finally taking off, and when he disappears during a Strigoi attack on St. Vladimir's Academy, she must make a terrible choice.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible